U.S. Politics

maqroll

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I've heard that at least one southern state is making one, but I don't know the statues statutes' status. 

It seems like the statues statutes' status is static.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

The decision to remove the statue was a democratic decision reached by the local council. I've seen people claiming that Antifa were trying to tear it down, they weren't. They were just opposing a demonstration by the nazi sympathisers, who were opposed to that democratically reached decision.

Yep, the Lee statue was removed after a due decision which is fair enough. Tearing down a statue that said "to the boys in grey" in Durham was not done democratically. That was purely a statue to respect all the young men that died in a horrible war. 

Maybe the former confederate states can vote on where to build a Confederate Memorial Museum, and privately fund it's operation. They can display all the removed statues there. I'd like to see them replaced with Frederick Douglas and Harriet Tubman statues, people who fought for freedom, not for slavery.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

If Lee could see that gilded monument of himself he'd probably be quite pleased

whilst I don't wish to detract form the case you've put forward , Lee was opposed to monuments, specifically Confederate war monuments .. he went so far as to say countries that erased visible signs of civil war recovered from conflicts quicker ...that by keeping these symbols alive, it would keep the divisions alive

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I didn't know that information was in the public domain. Get me the statistics on the statues statutes' status, stat. 

I've studied the statistics on the state of stasis of the statues statutes and it's staggering.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

whilst I don't wish to detract form the case you've put forward , Lee was opposed to monuments, specifically Confederate war monuments .. he went so far as to say countries that erased visible signs of civil war recovered from conflicts quicker ...that by keeping these symbols alive, it would keep the divisions alive

I've literally just read that on Business Insider!  Fair play to him.

My implication was that his statue was rather nice, something of an honour, rather than a relic of failure like the rally grounds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

I honestly don't understand all the fuss being made here - especially from someone who identifies themself as Jewish.

Some neo-Nazis protested about the removal of a statue.  That, right there, is a clear as **** sign that the statue should be taken down.  If people got angry/violent towards these Nazi sympathisers in the process, then fair play to them.

**** me.

I think it's fair to say that if we ran the world 180 degrees from their views on anything in the world from this point on we would be OK.  If they hate something then we all love it more and so on.  The words removed.

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D
  • Like 1

Bit long to quote in full, but this basically says the people claiming they oppose the removal of statues commemorating and celebrating racism only because they value heritage and history are talking out their arse.  Who knew?

The shooting of African-American church goers by white supremacist Dylann Roof reignited a fierce discussion in the American South about the role of Confederate symbols in public spaces. Much of this falls under the ‘hate vs. heritage’ debate; that confederate emblems represent heritage as opposed to racial animosity. Research by Logan Strother, Spencer Piston, and Thomas Ogorzalek finds that those who support the public presence of Confederate emblems tend to have less knowledge of Civil War history, demonstrating that racial prejudice does explain much of the observed support for the Confederate flag, while Southern heritage appears to explain relatively little.

• Like 1

Â