U.S. Politics

maqroll

15 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

strange all these people are angry about isis destroying half of the historical sites in syria & iraq like the temple of baal, mar eliam monestary, hatra, mosul libriary.

Surely this is just fine and acceptable if it is something that they do not like/agree with so they are destroying it ?

Looks like a comparison to ISIS to me.

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's a totally nonsensical point.

Your argument is to compare those who want it pulled down to ISIS.

Completely absurd.

In your posts about this, I'm yet to see any condemnation of the neo-nazis in Charlottesville.

All you've done is make a vague point about who the real 'bad guys' are, and compare those who want the statue down to ISIS.

Pretty worrying.

You call someone nonsensical and then continue by calling him a fascist for not condemning fascists? Talk about projection.

Just now, magnkarl said:

You call someone nonsensical and then continue by calling him a fascist for not condemning fascists? Talk about projection.

Where did I call him a fascist?

Quote please.

• Like 1

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Where did I call him a fascist?

Quote please.

I'm not being drawn into a "I didn't say it" argument with you. You attacked someone for "not condemning people". Didn't you say the same about Corbyn not condemning Maduro the other day? I guess this is different right?

the isis context is part of a violent and fanatical desire to impose a caliphate and actively destroy all signs of a classical / secular etc type vision of a past, they want to uniformly impose a singularly backward vision of society and eliminate connections with a past they abhor. 

Some individual statues that are monuments within a country to particular hot-points of racial violence is not the same. Indeed those advocating statue removal generally would completely be enthusiastic for educating and informing people about history and cultures, they are simply focusing on removing needless eye-sores that make significant section of the community uncomfortable. 

They are not the same.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

I'm not being drawn into a "I didn't say it" argument with you. 

Cop out. Please quote me where I called LakotaDakota a fascist or retract, ta.

4 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

You attacked someone for "not condemning people". 

I didn't. I pointed out clearly what has been said and what hasn't.

Edited by StefanAVFC

1 minute ago, Rodders said:

the isis context is part of a violent and fanatical desire to impose a caliphate and actively destroy all signs of a classical / secular etc type vision of a past, they want to uniformly impose a singularly backward vision of society and eliminate connections with a past they abhor. 

Some individual statues that are monuments within a country to particular hot-points of racial violence is not the same. Indeed those advocating statue removal generally would completely be enthusiastic for educating and informing people about history and cultures, they are simply focusing on removing needless eye-sores that make significant section of the community uncomfortable. 

They are not the same.

It's a bit like comparing Antifa with U.S Soldiers fighting against Nazi Germany then. Clearly not even remotely the same but being flouted all over the media right now.

What Trump is doing is to create a narrative for his base that the left is coming for the history and background of his supporters. That the left wants to "eradicate and destroy" the history of his supporters. That was his goal with the whole alt-left remark. He is not trying to bring the country together. He wants his base to be even more angry, because the more angry they are, the less they care about all the wrong he is doing. The more they show up to his campaign rallies and buy his god awful merchandise.

The trump supporters don;t even care a lot about the statues, they just feel attacked because the president is gaslighting them into a frenzy that blinds them from reality. You don't turn up to a protest armed to the teeth with Nazi flags if your care is about preserving history.

In reality what is happening is, statues celebrating and whitewashing the history of the civil war era are taken down and MOVED TO MUSEUMS. Where people can still go and enjoy getting their dicks hard by reliving the glory of the south.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

What Trump is doing is to create a narrative for his base that the left is coming for the history and background of his supporters. That the left wants to "eradicate and destroy" the history of his supporters. That was his goal with the whole alt-left remark. He is not trying to bring the country together. He wants his base to be even more angry, because the more angry they are, the less they care about all the wrong he is doing. The more they show up to his campaign rallies and buy his god awful merchandise.

The trump supporters don;t even care a lot about the statues, they just feel attacked because the president is gaslighting them into a frenzy that blinds them from reality. You don't turn up to a protest armed to the teeth with Nazi flags if your care is about preserving history.

In reality what is happening is, statues celebrating and whitewashing the history of the civil war era are taken down and MOVED TO MUSEUMS. Where people can still go and enjoy getting their dicks hard by reliving the glory of the south.

Oh you mean like this?

Which by the way is just a confederate soldier. Just like Germany has German soldier statues all over that they are not tearing down. I guess this is going to a museum right? Look at the posters of the protesters. Do you see any fascists or kkk around or just antifa/blm tearing down a monument that isn't really bad at all, which commemorates a lot of young boys dying.

Edited by magnkarl

That's a reaction to the nonsense in Charlottesville.

If the Nazis with assault rifles don't show up to protest and kill someone, the above video doesn't happen.

I would have thought that was obvious.

Edited by StefanAVFC

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

All I know is, I’ve got bigger things on my worry list than someone punching a nazi or disrupting an ISIS rally. They’re all retarded slaughtering scum with a proven history of genocide.

I’d kind of expect people claiming a special connection to genocide to see that.

If there’s a nazi rally in town, or an ISIS rally in town and some people crack some skulls, well yep it’s an issue. Once we’ve completely sorted out the street lighting, the library opening hours, recycling bins, dog poo and the double parking down at the leisure centre then injured nazi’s will be right up there on my list of concerns. Until then, **** ‘em.

I'll be the first to protest, and have been on several occasions against the EDL, if that were to happen. I wouldn't trash public property and arm myself to do it though. It's possible to protest without being a dick.

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

What if EDL had assault weapons?

Then I'd still protest against them. I would not bring my own weapons that's for sure. Furthermore that wouldn't happen in our country as we're not allowed to carry weapons. If you've got a potato peeler in your hand you're likely to be stopped by police.

Just now, magnkarl said:

Then I'd still protest against them. I would not bring my own weapons that's for sure. Furthermore that wouldn't happen in our country as we're not allowed to carry weapons. If you've got a potato peeler in your hand you're likely to be stopped by police.

I'm confused.

2 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

and arm myself to do it though.

Are you saying that anti-EDL protesters in the UK are armed? If so, do you have any sources to confirm this?

Jerry: "But I'm a man!" 
Osgood: "Well, nobody's perfect..." 
(Some Like It Hot)

"Now we all agree with Hitler’s views,
Although he killed six million Jews,
It don’t matter too much that he was a Fascist,
At least you can’t say he was a Communist!"
(Bob Dylan, "Talkin' John Birch")

Nobody is, indeed, perfect. It's probably true to say that every single individual who has had a statue erected, anywhere in the world, however laudable their achievements, has some black mark against them, a skeleton in their closet. Cromwell and Churchill are classic examples. Arguably, we ought to abandon the cult of celebrity and grow out of the practice of putting up statues at all. But in the meantime, where do we draw the line? Do we take down ALL statues, just to be on the safe side? Damned if I know. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I'm confused.

Are you saying that anti-EDL protesters in the UK are armed? If so, do you have any sources to confirm this?

What, where did I say that? I've had a mushroom knife taken off me three years ago in a forest, so I doubt that anyone at protests in the UK has weapons for long.

Edited by magnkarl

Trump didn't care about history when it was in the way of something he was building

To build his skyscraper, Trump first had to knock down the Bonwit Teller building, a luxurious limestone building erected in 1929. The face of the building featured two huge Art Deco friezes that the Metropolitan Museum of Art wanted to preserve. The museum asked Trump to save the sculptures and donate them, and the mogul agreed—as long as the cost of doing so wasn’t too high.

But then, according to journalist Harry Hurt III in his book Lost Tycoon, Trump discovered that taking out the sculptures would delay demolition by two weeks. He wasn’t willing to wait. “On his orders, the demolition workers cut up the grillwork with acetylene torches,” Hurt wrote. “Then they jackhammered the friezes, dislodged them with crowbars, and pushed the remains inside the building, where they fell to the floor and shattered in a million pieces.”

The art world was shocked. “Architectural sculpture of this quality is rare and would have made definite sense in our collections,” Ashton Hawkins, the vice president and secretary of the Met’s board of trustees, told the New York Times. Robert Miller, a gallery owner who had agreed to assess the friezes, told the paper that “the reliefs are as important as the sculptures on the Rockefeller building. They’ll never be made again.”

Â