U.S. Politics

maqroll

2 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Three years ago I watched Donald Trump incite an insurrection.  I saw his crazy followers storm Congress and desecrate the floor of the Senate. 

How the actual **** is he on the Ballot this time let alone possible winner?

Britain voted in Boris Johnson in a landslide victory. Never under estimate how stupid the electorate is. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Britain voted in Boris Johnson in a landslide victory. Never under estimate how stupid the electorate is. 

Well, yeah but people vote for their candidate or party. Here they are 100% supporting trump.

2 hours ago, choffer said:

If someone who knows Trump did it, it can't be illegal. 

8 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

If someone who knows Trump did it, it can't be illegal. 

Also, he's never heard of the guy. Doesn't know him. Never met him.

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Also, he's never heard of the guy. Doesn't know him. Never met him.

He's a great guy though. The best. If he had met him. Witch-hunt. Bleach. Covid. Etc.

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

But look what happened when it actually dawned on people what a mental case he was.

If he ran again now (even if Tories hadn't imploded) he'd get kicked well into the long grass.    Didn't he poll as one of the most unpopular Prime Ministers in recent times?

Katie Porter rightfully getting dragged by Democrats for calling her election rigged. A shame, I liked her too - but she lost fair and square and then to try and qualify "rigged" is just digging a bigger grave.

Difference between Democrats and Republicans is that you usually need to murder someone for the party to let you go whereas Porter will probably never hold a seat again after her sour grapes here.

5 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Katie Porter rightfully getting dragged by Democrats for calling her election rigged. A shame, I liked her too - but she lost fair and square and then to try and qualify "rigged" is just digging a bigger grave.

Difference between Democrats and Republicans is that you usually need to murder someone for the party to let you go whereas Porter will probably never hold a seat again after her sour grapes here.

Rigged was a poor choice of word because of it's association with Trump's false claims of voter fraud.   But she's actually spot on in her assessment of the situation.  Schiff spent a ton of money on ads bigging up the Republican, Garvey, to get Republicans to turn up and vote for him because he didn't want to face Porter in a runoff of the top 2 vote getters (it's a non-partisan primary in California).   Very cynical and while it might be "fair and square" according to the law, it's not a good look, particularly as it was not done to keep out the Republicans (who admittedly have no reservations about doing similar or much worse themselves).  It worked so well that Garvey was actually the top vote-getter, though the splintered Democratic vote will easily support Schiff in the general election and win it for him.

Schiff is an establishment, corporatist Democrat who got the backing of the machine and all its money.  We had a chance to put someone progressive in the Senate and went for the standard, cynical career politician.  I voted for Porter and would do so again.  She didn't win her house seat as result of heavy backing of the Dem machine to begin with, so I don't think it will matter that much to her what they think.  She's an academic, not a career politician, who flipped a red house seat and doesn't take PAC money.  If she runs for office again, she won't be looking to the party machine for help anyway. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Rigged was a poor choice of word because of it's association with Trump's false claims of voter fraud.   But she's actually spot on in her assessment of the situation.  Schiff spent a ton of money on ads bigging up the Republican, Garvey, to get Republicans to turn up and vote for him because he didn't want to face Porter in a runoff of the top 2 vote getters (it's a non-partisan primary in California).   Very cynical and while it might be "fair and square" according to the law, it's not a good look, particularly as it was not done to keep out the Republicans (who admittedly have no reservations about doing similar or much worse themselves).  It worked so well that Garvey was actually the top vote-getter, though the splintered Democratic vote will easily support Schiff in the general election and win it for him.

Schiff is an establishment, corporatist Democrat who got the backing of the machine and all its money.  We had a chance to put someone progressive in the Senate and went for the standard, cynical career politician.  I voted for Porter and would do so again.  She didn't win her house seat as result of heavy backing of the Dem machine to begin with, so I don't think it will matter that much to her what they think.  She's an academic, not a career politician, who flipped a red house seat and doesn't take PAC money.  If she runs for office again, she won't be looking to the party machine for help anyway. 

I agree with all of that. 

But she knew what optics she was going for when she used “rigged”

21 hours ago, DJBOB said:

The hoops you have to jump through to land at that point 🤷

What can you do against such logic?

he leans more conservative, so I can see why.

15 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Can you beg him on behalf of the entire world to please vote for Biden?

I've talked politics to him before, and he thinks that Biden is incompetent. 

15 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

But Trump and cronies blocked an immigration reform bill from Biden and co. Mad logic.

The thing I've seen is that the republicans don't think it "is tough enough on illegal immigration" 

15 hours ago, villa89 said:

I suspect that's what the democrats were hoping would happen. Biden snuffs it during his first term and Kamala Harris takes over for the remainder and runs next time around. Too bad Sleepy Joe keeps living and Kamala is an alco. 

I kept on thinking that, but I don't really see what the long-term strategy for democrats is. Who is the next in line?

I don’t think there’s a particular strategy for next in line. There’s some significant risk for all of the potential 2028 runners (Newsome, Buttigeg, Kamala, Whitmer, Pritzker). 

Brilliant by Biden at the State of the Union.  

That’s Presidential!

Hard to use senile against him…

Four more years….

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Brilliant by Biden at the State of the Union.  

That’s Presidential!

Hard to use senile against him…

Four more years….

I'm genuinely sceptical that they might be 'juicing' him. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Jon said:

I'm genuinely sceptical that they might be 'juicing' him. 

You’re kidding me, that’s straight from right wing media talking points tonight mate.  

The Republicans say he’s a senile, dithering old man yet he walks over them in WH discussions and he’s the head of a complex, crime, corruption family.

When he doesn’t talk much it’s because he’s struggling but when he talks with passion he’s apparently juiced up.

The right wing just can’t stand that while he’s old and yes not as strong as ten years ago, he can still stand with any of them and still be Presidential.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing.  But I think they'll be using whatever means at their disposal to make sure he's cognitively on the ball at these moments. 

Not too dissimilar to Reagan is his latter years as president, who was clearly struggling at times.  

Biden does seen to have had moments of confusion and verbal slurring/ mumbling. 

I still think he's competent enough to do the job, especially given the alternative ...

Â