U.S. Politics

maqroll

7 hours ago, nick76 said:

Can’t we just agree that we shouldn’t take much notice of either!

I always try and avoid dogshit on the pavement, the breed of dog that shat it is irrelevant to me

• Like 3

3 hours ago, il_serpente said:

I have to say that regardless of Twitter banning  the NY Post (which I hadn't been aware of because I don't follow Twitter and certainly wouldn't follow the NY Post!) and downplaying of the story by the "liberal" media, it's not exactly as though this story was buried.   There isn't a thing that's come out now about the actual e-mails that I didn't know about at the time, frequently to the point of saturation.   I don't know if that's because Fox and MAGA land were all over it and pushing it so hard that it was impossible to miss even if you generally try not to pay attention to them or if it really did get some coverage, however muted, in the MSM.  Either way, it's no different than what has been going on for years when Trump shenanigans are revealed.   The MSM play it up (though never as hard as Fox does about Democratic dirt) and Fox  and co. pretend it doesn't exist, and Republicans and their friendly pundits get attacked and excommunicated if they acknowledge it.

The whole thing is certainly a bit of an eye-opener, but hardly the bombshell that everyone's making out to be.   I mean, it's not like anyone actually thought that Hunter Biden wasn't a bit sleazy or believed that Joe has always been a saint.

And the huge reveal is that some guy who supposedly used to work with Hunter, claims that "Mr. Big" is in fact, Joe Biden, and that he could possibly then have benefitted from a business deal with a company that maybe has ties to the Chinese Gvt.

A whole ball of yarn of if's, but's and maybe's that Glenn Greenwald deduces is a "CIA mis-information operation to dupe the US public - the biggest American scandal in history" :rolleyes:

Yeah thanks Glenn, a man so unhinged that the company he helped found had to fire him and now his best friend is Tucker freakin Carlson.

It's a story so full of holes, but it's all they seem to have on Joe and boy are they desperate to bang that drum as loud as possible. 

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Like 2

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/mar/24/trump-hillary-clinton-russia-lawsuit-2016-election

Trump sues Hillary Clinton, alleging ‘plot’ to rig 2016 election against him

Clinton, James Comey and others accused of orchestrating Russia conspiracy that makes Watergate ‘pale in comparison’

Time to sing 'lock her up' again? a classic in it's genre

15 minutes ago, AXD said:

From what I understand this won’t go anywhere but a question for the legal minds on here, if this did start getting traction isn’t Trump open for discovery as well which could be bad for him?

23 minutes ago, nick76 said:

From what I understand this won’t go anywhere but a question for the legal minds on here, if this did start getting traction isn’t Trump open for discovery as well which could be bad for him?

Do I Really Look Like A Guy With A Plan GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, AXD said:

So Comey conspired with Clinton to get her elected? Despite Comey being insanely unethical in revealing the FBI were investigating her, right in the middle of the campaign?

Mind-blowing.

• Like 1

The constant competition to be the craziest nut out there leads to some incredibly chilling places:

In a suburban Fort Worth House runoff, Republicans debate killing women over abortion

'Should Texas punish abortions by putting teenage girls and women to death?

Or not?

That’s the current debate in the Republican Party of Texas, where outlawing abortion is no longer a question of “if” or “when” but a question of whether to kill women for getting one.

North Richland Hills Republican David Lowe swears his campaign in the May 24 runoff election has nothing to do with killing women.

“I’m not even a fan of the death penalty,” he told a Republican women’s club luncheon last week in downtown Fort Worth.

But then he went on to praise a House bill last session that would have made ending a pregnancy a potential capital crime..

In other words, Texas could kill the woman, along with anyone who encouraged her or helped.

[...]

Lowe is also aligned with a Texas affiliate of Abolish Human Abortion, which calls for an immediate halt to abortion regardless of court decisions or law.

Arlington Republican state Rep. Tony Tinderholt filed Texas’ first such bill in 2017.

The more recent 2021 version by Royse City Republican state Rep. Bryan Slaton would make ending a pregnancy anytime after fertilization a potential capital crime.'

More at: https://www.star-telegram.com/opinion/bud-kennedy/article259670215.html

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

The constant competition to be the craziest nut out there leads to some incredibly chilling places:

In a suburban Fort Worth House runoff, Republicans debate killing women over abortion

'Should Texas punish abortions by putting teenage girls and women to death?

Or not?

That’s the current debate in the Republican Party of Texas, where outlawing abortion is no longer a question of “if” or “when” but a question of whether to kill women for getting one.

North Richland Hills Republican David Lowe swears his campaign in the May 24 runoff election has nothing to do with killing women.

“I’m not even a fan of the death penalty,” he told a Republican women’s club luncheon last week in downtown Fort Worth.

But then he went on to praise a House bill last session that would have made ending a pregnancy a potential capital crime..

In other words, Texas could kill the woman, along with anyone who encouraged her or helped.

[...]

Lowe is also aligned with a Texas affiliate of Abolish Human Abortion, which calls for an immediate halt to abortion regardless of court decisions or law.

Arlington Republican state Rep. Tony Tinderholt filed Texas’ first such bill in 2017.

The more recent 2021 version by Royse City Republican state Rep. Bryan Slaton would make ending a pregnancy anytime after fertilization a potential capital crime.'

More at: https://www.star-telegram.com/opinion/bud-kennedy/article259670215.html

HV, the leaps and jumps made here are pretty wide...

"In a suburban Fort Worth House runoff, Republicans debate killing women over abortion"

Making an abortion a capital crime proposed by a nutjob, has a long multinational highway, before a left turn, before a u-turn, before a left followed a by a right turn followed by a whole litany of court challenges, is a long, long road to "killing women for abortion." Even then capital punishment is still highly contested.

To be honest I'm surprised you'd post such obvious hysterical click bait. 

Yes, the US has ridiculous extreme local politicians who have learned to manipulate the fringes of society emboldened by the internet. But this kind of drivel makes headlines and at the same time is easily dissolved by the US Democratic system, even on the more easily sensational local political level.

I know the UK gets the worst and most extreme political and social US news, but honestly, most people here are pretty normal - I'm just a bloke from Stourbridge and 99% of everyone you meet in the US just want a job to make some money for their family and safe streets for their kids. 

7 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

HV, the leaps and jumps made here are pretty wide...

"In a suburban Fort Worth House runoff, Republicans debate killing women over abortion"

Making an abortion a capital crime proposed by a nutjob, has a long multinational highway, before a left turn, before a u-turn, before a left followed a by a right turn followed by a whole litany of court challenges, is a long, long road to "killing women for abortion." Even then capital punishment is still highly contested.

To be honest I'm surprised you'd post such obvious hysterical click bait. 

Yes, the US has ridiculous extreme local politicians who have learned to manipulate the fringes of society emboldened by the internet. But this kind of drivel makes headlines and at the same time is easily dissolved by the US Democratic system, even on the more easily sensational local political level.

I know the UK gets the worst and most extreme political and social US news, but honestly, most people here are pretty normal - I'm just a bloke from Stourbridge and 99% of everyone you meet in the US just want a job to make some money for their family and safe streets for their kids. 

I'm not suggesting it's about to become the law of the land, the important point is that this is now where some are positioning themselves on the right in order to become the most 'pro life' candidate. As the political debate around abortion shifts notably to the right - and clearly the Supreme Court are poised to unwind Roe - the competition to stand out as a 'true conservative' is going to mechanically get even more extreme, and this is what you see here. I mean you say it's 'hysterical' but factually, the idea of making both having an abortion or helping someone else have an abortion into a capital crime is working its way into actual political debates. Having people propose such ludicrous ideas helps make extreme legislation - such as the one Texas has actually enacted, which allows any random member of the public to pursue a prosecution - look like a 'reasonable' compromise position. 

• Like 1

I find it equally bemusing and disturbing that stories like the above get attention, yet the literal Gilead in Central Europe where women have died because doctors are too scared to remove dead fetuses from them due to the insanity of the law does not.

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I find it equally bemusing and disturbing that stories like the above get attention, yet the literal Gilead in Central Europe where women have died because doctors are too scared to remove dead fetuses from them due to the insanity of the law does not.

Poland? 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Â