U.S. Politics

maqroll

More just mind boggling ramblings from our illustrious leader.

Mr Trump said: "I was a good student. I understand things. I comprehend very well. OK? Better than, I think, almost anybody."

"I don't ever want to call a court biased, so I won't call it biased," the president said.

He added: "Courts seem to be so political and it would be so great for our justice system if they would be able to read a statement and do what's right.

During his remarks, the president also said a Boston federal judge who had ruled in favour of his policy was a "highly respected" and "perfect" jurist.

Then it gets more scary.

Mr Trump also referred to his immigration ban as a "weapon".

"We have to give you the weapons that you need," he told police chiefs, "and this is a weapon that you need and they're trying to take it away from you, maybe because of politics or maybe because of political views."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38902574

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

More just mind boggling ramblings from our illustrious leader.

Then it gets more scary.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38902574

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

"and they're trying to take it away from you"

Drawing battle lines for law enforcement for the approaching war on civilians.

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Drawing battle lines for law enforcement for the approaching war on civilians.

I think the war on citizens has already started to some degree. Especially in more isolated, economically challenged areas. The investigation into the Ferguson PD showed how they treated the African American community before the riots and unrest. It was horrifying.

On 2/8/2017 at 07:34, OutByEaster? said:

I think it also says something about how outmoded the labels we use to describe politics are - left, right, liberal, fascist, these things aren't effective in describing a world that's actually a battleground between profit and humanity.

There are a number of words that fit in that humanity slot, like: 'basic common sense', 'survival' and 'decency'.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I think the war on citizens has already started to some degree. Especially in more isolated, economically challenged areas. The investigation into the Ferguson PD showed how they treated the African American community before the riots and unrest. It was horrifying.

Ya, it's simply astonishing some of the things going on out in the open in this country, e.g., the Chicago PD "black" site comes to mind. 

Also worth remembering that quite factually, it is the Clinton presidency that bears an awful lot of responsibility for the current US penal code and it's horrible consequences. Though, I think it was that renowned evil doer Nixon who doubled down on the war on "drugs".

1 minute ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The questions is, why is Nobel Peace Prize winner Obama who dropped 26,171 bombs in 2016 considered a lovely guy but Trump is Hitler for having opinions people don't like?

Whataboutism.

21 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The questions is, why is Nobel Peace Prize winner Obama who dropped 26,171 bombs in 2016 considered a lovely guy but Trump is Hitler for having opinions people don't like?

Obama dropping bombs is nothing out of the ordinary when it comes to the American imperialism of the past 30 years...besides, it's not as if Trump hasn't picked up where he left off.

No, Trump is Hitler for having fascistic tendencies like undermining the press, scapegoating minorities, national security obsession, ties to white nationalism etc etc. Not because he has different opinions.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Obama has received criticism and beyond those calling for all wars to end, most people accept t certain extents a reality of Realpolitik, repugnant though it often is. Furthermore if you think there's no difference between how Obama and Trump respond to military decisions you have to be on a troll. The general imperial bullshit of the last century ( to restrict it to the US' own expansive reach ) has received criticism regardless of president. 

Can you really not see any difference in style approach sanity or policy from Obama? The thin skinned twitter bullpats, undermining media and judiciary, electing cronies, the lack of ethics re transparency, business and tax records? 

There are many criticisms to be made of Obamas presidency, not least supporting TTIP and not checking the spread of money in politics but equally, he never had dominant numbers in the Congress to push through his agenda. He had to negotiate wih tea party fuckwits and a public that is fundamentally more conservative anyway.

Trump is exploiting fears gleefully with no ambition for change beyond his own ego. That is surely obvious? 

32 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Whataboutism.

and this is what's wrong with politics.

Someone brings something (or just a random fact in this case) to the table and the other side say "yea but what about" - as you've said.

The pragmatic solution is zilch, nil, zero.

Obama did do that @MakemineVanilla (I assume you've got those figures from somewhere), and that is wrong.. depending on a lot of factors (such as who, why, where, when and why).  I dare say some of those bombs were for "baddies", I also dare say that a few of those bombs killed or hurt innocent people.  Does that make anything @StefanAVFC said incorrect?

I don't think so.

There are problems on both sides.

That said, if there was a competition on who LAPAL_FAN wanted as a leader of (probably) the most powerful nation in the world - Obama or Trump - that person probably (definitely wouldn't be) Donald **** Trump.

• Like 3

All politics is (sadly) about having to choose the lesser of two evils. 

I can think of few, if any, situations where that choice would be Trump/Pence and their gang. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

All politics is (sadly) about having to choose the lesser of two evils. 

I can think of few, if any, situations where that choice would be Trump/Pence and their gang. 

biscuit-640x250.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Obama has gotten away with all of it with barely a slap on the wrist. Hopefully somebody does a comprehensive retrospective on his 8 years in office so all his fawning groupies can snap out of their stupor and realize that he is not a hero.

With Trump, most clear thinking people know he's a con man, he has zero credibility, and his administration has lied every day since he took office. The calamity of the last two weeks is just the start. It's going to get really ugly.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, maqroll said:

With Trump, most clear thinking people know he's a con man, he has zero credibility, and his administration has lied every day since he took office. The calamity of the last two weeks is just the start. It's going to get really ugly.

True. But...

B-b-b-but Obama?!

:rolleyes:

Â