Playstation 4

hogso

8 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Of the top of my head in about 30 seconds.. Sunset overdrive, Titanfall, quantum break, ryse, sea of thieves, ori & the blind forest

sorry I meant that scored over 80% thinking that sunset overdrive and titanfall both ended up being released on other platforms (both are on PC) ori is on the switch, ryse, QB and SofT all scored lower 

the point remains valid though xbone simply doesn't have the games this generation

Edited by villa4europe

Then you've also got PSVR which is a great, affordable, and more accessible way to get in to VR gaming - which has it's own (slim) selection of exclusives, most notably Astro Bot.

We had a games night the other weekend, and my girlfriend's sisters new chap, who has been an avid Xbox gamer for years raised an interesting point about party games - specifically Knowledge is Power and That's You!, in which you download an app to your phone and use that as your controller, for up to 6 people. The nature of the games means that you don't have to be a gamer at all of course, but he mentioned how fun it was simply to be able to have everyone join in and not have to share controllers (like we did with Overcooked) or take it in turns. Xbox doesn't have anything like that, it seems.

For what it's worth, if I had to pick one of the exclusives I've played (and straight off the bat I haven't played God of War, Bloodbourne, or Spiderman), I'd say Horizon Zero Dawn is the best of the bunch. It looks incredible, has great, varied, and continually fun gameplay, the voice and motion performances are by and large fantastic, and it has a story which is equal parts entertaining and genuinely interesting.

If you needed anymore reason to get a PS4, then it's not even the current batch of exclusives that are available - there's those that are yet to be released too, FFVIIR and Last of Us 2 amongst them. Plus Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 3 next week, but that's kinda niche. Incredible, but niche, with at least two full games, and ideally seven to get through for you to fully appreciate the intricacies of the plot in ToCS3. Probably a subject for another thread though...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

sorry I meant that scored over 80% thinking that sunset overdrive and titanfall both ended up being released on other platforms (both are on PC) ori is on the switch, ryse, QB and SofT all scored lower 

the point remains valid though xbone simply doesn't have the games this generation

it's not like exclusives are the only games to play is it... Obviously you have the in house stuff too like forza which usually keeps be busy for a couple of hundred hours per year & There are 600+ games sat on my hard drives, do i care if it is also out on PC/Playstation/Switch? Does anyone? I have a PS4 mainly just for the yakuza games in all honesty but as most of them are headed to PC anyway there will be no real need for me to keep it for the odd game (but i will anyway just incase there is the odd thing that catches my eye) as everything out on both looks & runs better on the X than the pro. sunset overdrive etc may not have rated over 80% on a rankings website but that doesn't mean that it isn't a good game. The price you can pick consoles up for now, especially with some of the deals around at the moment there is no real reason not to have both xbox & playstation anyway if you like console games.

As with most xbox stuff being availalable on pc you could also argue that the playstation actually has very few exclusives at all now as you can play everything via PSnow on PC with no need for a PS4 ;)

Edited by LakotaDakota

33 minutes ago, hogso said:

We had a games night the other weekend, and my girlfriend's sisters new chap, who has been an avid Xbox gamer for years raised an interesting point about party games - specifically Knowledge is Power and That's You!, in which you download an app to your phone and use that as your controller, for up to 6 people. The nature of the games means that you don't have to be a gamer at all of course, but he mentioned how fun it was simply to be able to have everyone join in and not have to share controllers (like we did with Overcooked) or take it in turns. Xbox doesn't have anything like that, it seems.

Point him in the direction of Jackbox party as this does the same, there are 5 (or possibly6) different packs out now, each one has 5 or so different party games that you play with your phone

• 2 weeks later...

Tip toeing along that line limpid... PS4 is in the position where its sold over 100m consoles, its in a bit of a no man's land with the last of us and even more so with ghosts of satsuma or whatever its called which has gone a bit cold, you can't ignore that base, the sales will be north of 10m (maybe even 15m) effectively financing the game, they have to release it on PS4 for it to be financially viable 

Same with death stranding, there's noway I'm holding back on those 3 games even though you can guarantee all 3 will get a ps5 release within the consoles first 12 months 

Bitten the bullet, sold my old Xbox plus 6 games which I had finished for £130. Bought a used Playstation 4 Slim for £190.

The Last of Us Remastered is going to be my first game, currently downloading as free with PS Plus this month.

My list then will be:

Spiderman

Days Gone

Unchartered 4

God of War

Horizon Zero Dawn

Should keep me going for quite a while! Thanks to those who sent lists of PS4 Exclusives

• 7 months later...

Finally plucked up the courage/got sick enough of the PS4 turning itself off mid-game without warning to take the whole thing apart, clean it and replace the thermal paste.  I hate tinkering when I don't know exactly what I'm doing and was terrified I was going to bodge something up beyond repair but buoyed by successfully fixing my controllers that one time, watching a multitude of YT vids as I went along and not wanting to spend more money on the damn thing, I had at it.  The sheer amount of dust compacted and caked along one side of the heat sink will give me nightmares for a while, I'm fairly certain I've used too much thermal paste and absolutely true to form, in putting it back together I was left with one screw that I couldn't figure out from whence it came but... holy hell, it's given it a new lease of life.  Got through an hour of particularly frantic sections of Rage 2 with no issues whatsoever and without it generating the same amount of noise as a flotilla of Nimitz-class aircraft carriers.

Thoroughly recommended if you've got a noisy/uncooperative PS4 (mine was a 1st gen one, not sure how much of an issue this becomes with the Slim/Pro models).

36 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Finally plucked up the courage/got sick enough of the PS4 turning itself off mid-game without warning to take the whole thing apart, clean it and replace the thermal paste.  I hate tinkering when I don't know exactly what I'm doing and was terrified I was going to bodge something up beyond repair but buoyed by successfully fixing my controllers that one time, watching a multitude of YT vids as I went along and not wanting to spend more money on the damn thing, I had at it.  The sheer amount of dust compacted and caked along one side of the heat sink will give me nightmares for a while, I'm fairly certain I've used too much thermal paste and absolutely true to form, in putting it back together I was left with one screw that I couldn't figure out from whence it came but... holy hell, it's given it a new lease of life.  Got through an hour of particularly frantic sections of Rage 2 with no issues whatsoever and without it generating the same amount of noise as a flotilla of Nimitz-class aircraft carriers.

Thoroughly recommended if you've got a noisy/uncooperative PS4 (mine was a 1st gen one, not sure how much of an issue this becomes with the Slim/Pro models).

I've never understood the trope of PS4s being super noisy, but I must admit I fired mine up to play GT Sport the other day and it sounded like a jet fighter taking off!

Doesn't turn itself off bu if that starts happening I may go down the same route you did

mines a jet fighter and brings the temperature of the room up by around 5 degrees

biggest problem I have though is with connectivity, its more or less given up, the xbox one sat next to it is fine so its not a signal strength issue, giving me problems with my EA access and PS now accounts, they're a waste of time (PSN+ is already gone)

43 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

mines a jet fighter and brings the temperature of the room up by around 5 degrees

biggest problem I have though is with connectivity, its more or less given up, the xbox one sat next to it is fine so its not a signal strength issue, giving me problems with my EA access and PS now accounts, they're a waste of time (PSN+ is already gone)

The internet speed on my PS4 has always been an issue. It's fast enough to play games no bother but the download speed is appalling.

I did try this recently ad it definitely gave me an improvement. Might be worth trying.

From here

The quickest change is to change the DNS. You do this by following these steps:

Head up to Settings
Find the Network settings
Choose WiFi (ideally select LAN if you have a wired connection)
Select CUSTOM
Connect to your home WiFi
Select automatic settings until you see the DNS screen.
Choose Manual and enter 1.1.1.1 as your Primary DNS and 1.0.0.1 as your Secondary DNS which is CloudFlare’s DNS. If this doesn’t increase your speed, you can also try to enter Google’s DNS which is: 8.8.8.8 for the Primary DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the Secondary DNS.

I used the 1.0.0.1 option but the other might be quicker for someone else

Edited by Stevo985
  • Thanks 1

Mat from TCGS started a live stream of Resi 3 last week on his Pro and it sounded like a hoover was in the corner. To the extent it actually formed a gag on the next stream.

Mines been loud since I got it. I dread to think what it's like inside. My house has always been weirdly dusty and since buying the console it's been in semi permanent renovation work. I assume the PS4 is basically packed with plaster and polyfilla dust.

35 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The internet speed on my PS4 has always been an issue. It's fast enough to play games no bother but the download speed is appalling.

I did try this recently ad it definitely gave me an improvement. Might be worth trying.

From here

I used the 1.0.0.1 option but the other might be quicker for someone else

Same here. Sounds like it's taking off for most of the newer games.

Had the same issue with connecting too, signal suddenly dropped and I was only getting 1-2MB (if it connected). Tried everything. In the end I brought a wifi booster that plugs into the router, connects to the electrical socket via ethernet, then I put the second one next to the PS4 and connected that via ethernet. No problems since. I assumed the wifi adapter was on it's way out or something.

My (very basic) understanding from the videos I've watched seemed to indicate that part of the problem (with the 1st gen at least) is where all the components are crammed in tightly, trying to have a proper clean out of the fan with compressed air is impossible without taking everything apart, all you'd be doing is pushing whatever's in there around a bit.  Would deffo be much easier if you could actually get to the fan and heat sink without the rigmarole (plus having to reapply thermal paste each time you lift the motherboard out).  I guess having the PSU internal doesn't particularly help keep the heat down either maybe?

Though for balance, my PS4 is inside a TV unit so the reduced airflow probably isn't helping either.  After this I'm moving it to a open shelving unit, hopefully that'll keep it going longer before needing a similar overhaul (I assume with time I'll ultimately need to do this all again at some point to keep it healthy).

If anyone fancies giving it a go, here's the video I had running as I went through the process.  Worth noting this vid doesn't show you as much when putting the unit back together (why I wound up with an extra, mystery screw at the very end), I was flicking back to the beginning and re-watching to pick out certain parts of the rebuild.

Will report back after some heavier use to see if the (at present) noticeable difference actually sticks, it'll definitely have been worth the cost/time (took me about an hour, and I was deliberately going slowly) if it does.

My PS4 Pro occasionally kicks in to 'jet engine' mode, but it isn't often - and I've got to know when to expect it now too, so specific to certain screens it is (which are oddly not always ones which at least appear to be particularly intensive) - then again, but Pro is only about 12 months old, I think. Shouldn't be too much gunk in there.

I did once buy a very cheap 360 with RROD and replaced the thermal paste in that. Still worked the last time I switched it on, about 6 months ago.

There is also notoriously a batch of Pro consoles that has horrific noise due to 'coil hum' or something like that. I bought mine at the time those were being sent out so wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't help the 737 at take off sound.

Might try that up to the taking the back off just to blow out the fan. See if it makes a difference. Got an original PS4 (Batman Special) so think manufacturers warranty is out anyway

Â