Smart Watches

mykeyb

When you say lack of apps, what is missing?

As an androidwear user there is nothing worse than getting notifications from stuff on your phone you dont care about.

As long as it does the core stuff well I would take that as a good thing.

• Like 1

I'm still using my Withings Activite and think it's absolutely excellent. Noticed they have a newer watch which includes a heart rate monitor, and the battery will last for 25 days.

Could be upgrading soon as it can more accurately calculate calories burned with a heart rate monitor, but I love the fact that the Activite watch doesn't look like a Smart Watch.  

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
11 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Are these still a thing?

As with most things technology-wise I'm always about 2 years behind the masses.

I saw this today and thought it looked alright: Fossil Hybrid.

Is it any good? Should I be looking at something else?

Your link is missing :)

I'm still wearing my Pebble and waiting for my ZeTime next month.

Tempted by the Fossil Q Explorist too and would like to know any views on previous iterations of the Fossil Q if anyone has one (or has used one).

I have asked for either the Fossil Q Explorist or Gear S3 Classic from the other half for Christmas. Hoping the Gear S4 may be released prior to Christmas but there has been no news on it yet. Hopefully hear something at the end of August or early September. If not then it will be between the Q Eplorist or Gear S3 Classic.

• 1 year later...

Anyone got any favourites?

I am a pretty big Garmin fan boy. My 735 xt just broke and bought a replacement this weekend. Really wanted to wait for the 745 model, but it might not come out this year. Was looking at the 945, but it was just too big for my wrists. Ended up with 245. The new sensors are a lot more accurate than the old ones by 20-30 % on the HRM. 

The Spotify application works surprisingly well. Kinda handy leaving my phone at home when jogging. 

Gonna try the mapping tool this week when I go into the Forest for some trail jog.  

Anyone using Garmin or have other smart watches they use (especially for sports) that they are satisfied with? 

Must say I am a bit of a watch geek. I find it funny I have used tens of thousands of pounds on watches and it's ultimately a cheap'ish smart watch I end up using the most. 

Sorry just realized this should probably be in the tech section.  Feel free to move it. 😊

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

• 10 months later...

So the main reason I want a watch is for running and heart rate monitoring and also storing music and podcasts. My wife has the active watch and the GPS accuracy seemed terrible. The Apple Watch seems much more accurate and robust when it comes to fitness. Any other recommendations? 

9 minutes ago, omariqy said:

So the main reason I want a watch is for running and heart rate monitoring and also storing music and podcasts. My wife has the active watch and the GPS accuracy seemed terrible. The Apple Watch seems much more accurate and robust when it comes to fitness. Any other recommendations? 

I have the Garmin Vivoactive 4 and as a fitness watch, it's excellent. 

As a smartwatch, not so much. You can download your favourite Spotify podcasts and music to the Vivo and connect wireless headphones up to the watch which is nice for running. The GPS and heartrate monitor are both excellent. 

More info on it here:- https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/643382?gclid=Cj0KCQjw-_j1BRDkARIsAJcfmTFjZhYNUxPUFRnLH1wftTQm6KniUFEtenA9qpdSi-zY7H5Gzs1QXSIaAoJvEALw_wcB

Edited by PieFacE

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for a new watch myself.  Had a Sony Smartwatch 3 but there haven't been any updates for it since 2016 so it's time to upgrade.  It has to be an android compatible watch,  and for general usage not specifically fitness.  Not looking to spend a fortune.  Any recommendations?

The Galaxy Active 2 has gone down a storm with the Mrs.  Great battery life and instantly connects to her phone (Note 8).  Nice looking piece of kit too.  Managed to find somewhere selling them open box for about £170, which is about £100 cheaper than anywhere else.

20 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

The Galaxy Active 2 has gone down a storm with the Mrs.  Great battery life and instantly connects to her phone (Note 8).  Nice looking piece of kit too.  Managed to find somewhere selling them open box for about £170, which is about £100 cheaper than anywhere else.

Whereabouts did you find that if you don't mind me asking?

• 1 month later...

Just got myself an Apple Watch, first one I've ever had.

Anything I should know in terms of setup tips? Anything annoying to turn off?

Any recommendations on useful apps? Mainly using it for mountain biking, messages and general fitness. Does anyone know of any apps that display football scores easily?

• 7 months later...

Looking for a new android smartwatch.   Mostly interested in health features but need to be able to see messages and calls etc on it too.  I've got an old Sony smartwatch but the battery life is getting worse by the day so any recommendations from you guys would be appreciated. 

Looking at a Garmin vívoactive 4.  Anyone got one or know of they are good?

Edited by dubbs
Additional details

• 2 weeks later...

Garmin 245 music is amazing if you're into fitness. I bet Garmin 745 is great as well, as it's the follow up of 735 xt. I had the 735 xt and it was great. 

If you're more into smart watches for daily life than fitness, I'd get the Fenix series. Definitely the Garmin watch that's the easiest on the eye for daily wear. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Garmin 245 music is amazing if you're into fitness. I bet Garmin 745 is great as well, as it's the follow up of 735 xt. I had the 735 xt and it was great. 

If you're more into smart watches for daily life than fitness, I'd get the Fenix series. Definitely the Garmin watch that's the easiest on the eye for daily wear. 

Was looking for a mixture of daily and fitness, and the Garmin watches certainly have me covered on both fronts.  Not so fussed about having music on the watch as I've always got my phone on me,  and the concern would be the impact on the battery life.  

Â