Smart Watches

mykeyb

There are people on the Pebble forums who have sent watches back to be repaired under warranty and now can't get any answers, some have just been told 'we are no longer a company'. 

If those accounts are accurate, it's a **** disgrace.

18 hours ago, The_Rev said:

The company said that existing Pebble watches – of which there are two million out there – will continue to work for now but there will be no support or warranties

I'd really, really like to see how that works out for them in court.

Edit: Eh, probably pretty well actually, as they've only bought a few bits and Pebble have gone bankrupt. Well, ****. Talks of buyouts of nearly $1bn a year or two ago to bankrupcy, what a **** up. 

Edited by Davkaus

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I'd really, really like to see how that works out for them in court.

Edit: Eh, probably pretty well actually, as they've only bought a few bits and Pebble have gone bankrupt. Well, ****. Talks of buyouts of nearly $1bn a year or two ago to bankrupcy, what a **** up. 

Yep, gone bankrupt. Really wonder what happened to all the money and funding, something smells here. Think there was an offer of a buyout for 750m (dollars) around a year ago, and another of around 100m about 3 months ago, yet now they are bankrupt? It smells.

6 hours ago, briggaman said:

Anyone interested in the Samsung Gear S3? I actually like the look of it and the battery life seems decent too. Have any of you ever owned a Samsung smartwatch? Tempted...

It's not Android Wear, it's Samsung and the "new improved" battery still only lasts two days. It costs nearly as much as my oneplus 3T. I'm passing.

1 minute ago, DK82 said:

My Apple watch battery makes it to three days, I know that isn't for you @limpid, but I love my watch :D

I've not taken my Pebble off my wrist in way over a month. I can charge it when I'm wearing it.

22 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Not sure what's going on with Android wear, when my Watch R dies I would hope the platform has moved forward....

What other things do you think it could do?

On 12/13/2016 at 15:48, limpid said:

I've not taken my Pebble off my wrist in way over a month. I can charge it when I'm wearing it.

With the Apple Watch 2, you *could* wear it back to front and sit with your wrist on the docking station.  I suspect that's now what you mean though!

5 minutes ago, Risso said:

With the Apple Watch 2, you *could* wear it back to front and sit with your wrist on the docking station.  I suspect that's now what you mean though!

1488292087_1d3f385111.jpg

• Like 2

On 14/12/2016 at 20:49, limpid said:

What other things do you think it could do?

I don't want or need it to do anything else but Android wear 2.0 is delayed till 1st quarter 2017 so it looks like being a major upgrade

11 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

I don't want or need it to do anything else but Android wear 2.0 is delayed till 1st quarter 2017 so it looks like being a major upgrade

I wonder if they are waiting on new hardware? Perhaps we'll see something with a sensible battery life.

• 5 weeks later...

I have tried out the Gear S3 Classic and really like it. The only concern to me is the lack of apps. Other than that it feels and looks great. I love the rotating bezel and how it is used to navigate, plus the battery is decent. The strap you get with it is a bit rubbish but it can easily be replaced. Very tempted.

Holding off for a bit though as apparently LG are bringing out two watches as the first batch from Android Wear 2.0 in February. They will be called the Watch Sport and Watch Style. I will hold on until I see what this has to offer but the Gear S3 Classic seems great to me already and the fact that it runs Tizen doesn't bother me so much (apart from the obvious lack of apps).

Â