January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

Now, I suspect you Villa fans out there are hoping your soon-to-be new signing Yacouba Sylla is a battle-hardened Patrick Vieria clone ready to add some authority to the their club's midfield, as well as possessing the goal-scoring touch of Frank Lampard and the silky skills of David Silva.

Sorry but French football expert Matt Spiro has some bad news: "Yacouba Sylla is an intriguing signing for Aston Villa. He's a big, strong tackler who will certainly add physical presence in the middle of the park, but if Paul Lambert expects him to make an immediate impact in the Premier League he may be disappointed.

"He's only 22 and has never before played in the top flight, making 65 appearances for second-division Clermont. Although he played one game for the France Under-21s, Sylla remains relatively unknown this side of the Channel."

Not ready to make an immediate impact in the Premier League? Sounds to me like he will fit in nicely with the rest of the Aston Villa squad..."

Permit me to de-construct this "journalism"

Villa fans are hoping for a good midfielder.

French football "expert" Matt Spiro, however, is on hand with information everybody already knows from wikipedia, thus offering no further insight into the player whatsoever.

P.S. Villa are shit.

Yours,  The Beeb.

I know Warnock is a pretty dire full back and everything but if he actually agreed to not getting paid the remainder of his 5-6 months here then he's a good man. There are lots of players that would have just run the clock down especially on the money he was getting. 

Won't the transfer fee effectively go to pay off Warnock's remaining contract i.e. in the player's pocket? So instead of them paying us £1m transfer fee and us paying him £1m to terminate the contract (value of 6 months at £40k per week), it just cuts out the middle man. That's what I had assumed.

Permit me to de-construct this "journalism"

Villa fans are hoping for a good midfielder.

French football "expert" Matt Spiro, however, is on hand with information everybody already knows from wikipedia, thus offering no further insight into the player whatsoever.

P.S. Villa are shit.

Yours, The Beeb.

wrong! He lifted those stats from a post I made in the Sylla thread earlier today (and I went to the Clermont Foot web site for them.) :D
  • Like 1

Sadly most scandinavian CB's are signed by now. There's Rogne at Celtic, but he's young. Played well in CL for them tho. Forren would be good but he's at soton. Mellberg would be ideal.

What about that sorensen guy who plays for Bologna

Has he gone anywhere

Sylla adds some spine, tho we need another central defender. We played well in 4-4-2 last time, so let's get someone in for Clark and put him into midfield if Sylla needs some time.

Really? He has just come from a French division 2 team (probably the equivalent of our league one in terms of quality), it's a bit early to expect him to be our 'spine'.

The fact is we won't know anything until he plays for us but given his background it's difficult to expect much from him in his first half a season.

Yeah we desperately need to replace Dunne now as he is looking finished here with that injury / contract ending soon. Can't help but wonder where we would be now had Dunne's injury cleared up quickly... certainly think our GD would be somewhat better thats for sure.

I think this has been more of an issue than realized. Maybe Lambert thought that being just a groin injury he would have no problems getting fit? So he agreed to let Collins & Cuellar leave?.. Don't think anyone thought we would lose him for the season thats for sure.

Really? He has just come from a French division 2 team (probably the equivalent of our league one in terms of quality), it's a bit early to expect him to be our 'spine'.

The fact is we won't know anything until he plays for us but given his background it's difficult to expect much from him in his first half a season.

More of a spine in a physical aspect, we obviously don't know about technically yet