January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

Surely a balance is the best way to go.

We don't want a team full of young potential and we don't want a team full of 30 year olds on big money.

But a few lescott types, with a few westwood types and a couple of Bentekes would make me happy.

Can't believe people are condoning the possible sale of Agbonlahor following a weekend where Bennet played left wing and Albrighton played right wing.

There aren't many better than Gabby in the current squad, and he probably sits at about 20th in the list of players that need replacing at AVFC.

Agreed. What we have certainly missed in the last 3 or 4 games is Gabby's pace especially when closing down the opposition. Admittedly his goal ratio is poor but he's an asset to have even if he's coming off the bench. I'd much rather have Gabby out wide than either Albrighton or Holman who are not up to premier league standard.

From Tom Ross:

"Lambert when pressed on rumours re Lescott signing for Villa said wages might be a problem and that finances will dictate all signings - added that they do not HAVE to sell anybody including Darren Bent"

Possibe IN but that statement leaves it entirely open on outs.

Saying "We don't HAVE to sell anybody including Darren Bent" tells everyone zilch - course Villa don't HAVE to do anything!

honestley most of the Sky Press are such lemmings - that's a completely different statement to - Paul Lambert saying we're NOT selling Darren Bent"

which is what the headlines state.

People change - grow up.... Lot of water under the bridge & all that, so who knows?

Lescott is regularly back in Quinton to see his family and the issue with the JB's was very over exaggerated, and I'm sure if it was such a huge issue as some have claimed Liverpool and Manchester are hardly the other side of the world.

I think the only thing stopping this move would be his wages.

It's not just Gabbys pace, it's his ability to hold a ball up and not be bullied off it. Most of our squad look powder puff. We've missed the physicality of both Gabby and dare I say Heskey.

• Like 1

How is it desperate signing a player who currently plays his trade for the champions of england? its incredible what sometimes is posted

I look at it as a more a massive coup for us if we pull it off

Completely agree Dem, its embarrassing to read sometimes.

[Gabby's] one asset was pace but injuries, too much bulking up has robbed him of that and, unlike other players whos pace wanes, he lacks the footballing brain to adapt his game. I'd sell him if a good offer came along. We've seen the best of Gabby and thats gone now.

Agree. He's been a great pro and I'll always remember that run-away goal at the Emirates in 2008 as typical of his strength as a player. It's not so much his thinking of the game that will be the problem in this post-pace phase, but his technique. He's never been technically sound nor left-footed enough for my complete devotion.

It's not just Gabbys pace, it's his ability to hold a ball up and not be bullied off it. Most of our squad look powder puff. We've missed the physicality of both Gabby and dare I say Heskey.

We have not missed Heskey at all. Benteke was his replacement and he's 10 times better.

We have not missed Heskey at all. Benteke was his replacement and he's 10 times better.

Maybe at scoring but not holding the ball up and laying it off, unless you mean laying it off to the opposition which Benteke is good at

My only concern with selling Gabby now is that we really have missed his run away from trouble attitude in recent games, he hasn't been brilliant but he's been carrying the ball away from defence and pushing the opposition back quite nicely.

Not great but a great attribute for a relegation threatened club.

Maybe at scoring but not holding the ball up and laying it off, unless you mean laying it off to the opposition which Benteke is good at

Yep, that's what you sign a player for. His ability to hold up a ball every once in awhile. Benteke is better than Heskey in every way.

How is it desperate signing a player who currently plays his trade for the champions of england? its incredible what sometimes is posted

I look at it as a more a massive coup for us if we pull it off

Perhaps because it goes against the managers own declared policy of signing young and hungry players (a policy that he reiterated following the defeat by Wigan). As Lescott is neither young or hungry, his signing would be Lambert admitting that he got it wrong (which is another reason i don't think it will happen).

I can obviously see the benefit of having a player like Lescott in the team football wise he's better than what we have. Realistically though if he's for sale i'm certain he'll have better options than coming here, and I stand by what i said we made too many similar signings under MON, and ultimately very few worked out.

I agree with Big John, a balance of youth and experience would be best, but i see this as more like how Ron Saunders balanced the young, hungry Gary Shaw with the jouneyman Peter Withe, rather than sigining England internationals aged 30 to play alongside former League 1 players.

Perhaps because it goes against the managers own declared policy of signing young and hungry players (a policy that he reiterated following the defeat by Wigan). As Lescott is neither young or hungry, his signing would be Lambert admitting that he got it wrong (which is another reason i don't think it will happen).

I can obviously see the benefit of having a player like Lescott in the team football wise he's better than what we have. Realistically though if he's for sale i'm certain he'll have better options than coming here, and I stand by what i said we made too many similar signings under MON, and ultimately very few worked out.

I agree with Big John, a balance of youth and experience would be best, but i see this as more like how Ron Saunders balanced the young, hungry Gary Shaw with the jouneyman Peter Withe, rather than sigining England internationals aged 30 to play alongside former League 1 players.

James Nursey@JamesNursey

#AVFC Lambert said today #MCFC Lescott a "top player", admits money will decide if poss but says age no barrier if hungry

It's possible that Lescott would still be a top player for us, but like others have said, i can't see it happening.

Edited by Daniel