January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

What happened to Stuart Holden from Bolton? (Think that was his name). Was a pretty good player, then got injured in the season they went down. Did he ever recover?

Back training finally. Still a month or two away from match action. Great player, but too risky until he can prove his fitness and he is actually very loyal to Bolton for various reasons.

Samba is being payed a fortune in Russia.

Out of the relegated clubs:

Wolves: Doyle (4M), Hunt (2.2M), O'Hara (4.4), Ward (3.5M)

Bolton: Mark Davies (3.5M), Wheater (2.2M), Eagles (4.8M), M Petrov (0.875M).

Blackburn: Scott Dann (3.5M), Olsson (both) (4M & 1.3M), Givet (1.3M).

Blackpool: Matt Phillips (2.2M) (presume Ince is going to Liverpool)

I added the prices found on transfermarkt to get an indication. Not all of them are good enough, but they are certainly affordable. Other than that, none of these guys will be in salary ranges which should scare off Villa, they're playing in the championship and none are looking to get back up this season. The ones that are on high wages will be given permission to leave.

I think there are certainly 2 or 3 in this list that can strengthen our squad significantly

Young or old, proven or unproven - you never 'know' what your getting. Its always a risk - its the managers job to get more right than wrong. At the same time the club must drop this daft idea that every signing will be success - for every David Platt, Dwight Yorke, there will be a bosko babalan - live with it..

The idea of not signing experienced players, because they 'might' not be motivated smacks of desparation to me. - and perhaps Lambert is in darker place than we think.

Edited by smetrov

Do we still have the twitter bs thread? Heres this anyway. The bloke is Villa mad but i've not seen him say anything ITK before.

Yesterday I tweeted asking where Randy Lerner was & what he was going to do. I just got my answer, I'm no longer as worried as I was. Money was available, Lambert had his targets. However, more money is now available, RL was at VP yesterday. Bring on January! This has come from the same person who told me about Benteke, Westwood, Bennett etc before they hit the press. It's true. I was told Lerner is giving Lambert licence to do what he wants (within reason). I was told last week 1 CB, and 2 CM's with one being Dale Stephens from Charlton. However, PL's plans may now change.

@ASTVIL123

Edited by HalfTimePost

Before we signed Bent, Houllier and I think Faulkner went on record saying we would spend no money in (that) January.

Lambert is being sly here, stopping other clubs raising orices for us as they will know we are desperate.

I bet we spend 25m+ and there will be 'experienced' additions.

Before we signed Bent, Houllier and I think Faulkner went on record saying we would spend no money in (that) January.

Lambert is being sly here, stopping other clubs raising orices for us as they will know we are desperate.

I bet we spend 25m+ and there will be 'experienced' additions.

Totally agree mate, no use alerting other clubs.

One thing for certain is with the sky money coming, Lerner will not want us to be relegated at any cost so I think there will be transfer money for Lambert. If we are still shit after money is spent, than the blame will have to lie in Lamberts hands

Lambert could walk into the next press conference with his cock out, tattooed with the words "We're desperate", and it wouldn't make any difference. Every club in football knows we're desperate - all they have to do is look at our last three results and the league table to know this.

Let me clear something up lads....Lambert didn't arrive at Villa and decide I want to sign kids - the finances dictated that. You think if he could go out and get the likes of Gareth Barry or Lescott on loan he wouldn't jump at the chance? Of course he would. But the bottom line is the money isn't there for that. Blame the owner for that if you like but it most certainly isn;t the manager's fault.

I'll take a wee guess as to what will happen in Jan and if I'm proved correct then maybe one or two will start to take a bit more notice. One or two, more if possible, of the older guys eating up the wages and giving nothing in return will be punted. Possibly even on loan if no buyer can be found - and how many clubs would be willing to match their wages?? Not many.

As for players coming in, I don't think they'll not be arriving from other English clubs but from abroad. Better value for money. More of a risk I suppose but if the money isn't there for deals in England what can the manager do? What I'm struggled to understand is why is it the manager's fault that the club aren't spending big?? But I do think there will be a few new faces in Jan that are a lot better than what is there.

Benteke was a great piece of business. Vlaar has been okay as well. Some of the younger lads haven't hit the ground running but didn't exactly cost millions. Watch this space - it will get better!

Let me clear something up lads....Lambert didn't arrive at Villa and decide I want to sign kids - the finances dictated that. You think if he could go out and get the likes of Gareth Barry or Lescott on loan he wouldn't jump at the chance? Of course he would. But the bottom line is the money isn't there for that. Blame the owner for that if you like but it most certainly isn;t the manager's fault.

I'll take a wee guess as to what will happen in Jan and if I'm proved correct then maybe one or two will start to take a bit more notice. One or two, more if possible, of the older guys eating up the wages and giving nothing in return will be punted. Possibly even on loan if no buyer can be found - and how many clubs would be willing to match their wages?? Not many.

As for players coming in, I don't think they'll not be arriving from other English clubs but from abroad. Better value for money. More of a risk I suppose but if the money isn't there for deals in England what can the manager do? What I'm struggled to understand is why is it the manager's fault that the club aren't spending big?? But I do think there will be a few new faces in Jan that are a lot better than what is there.

Benteke was a great piece of business. Vlaar has been okay as well. Some of the younger lads haven't hit the ground running but didn't exactly cost millions. Watch this space - it will get better!

I agree - but Lambert IMO should have got more senior pro's on board. Even if he didn't fancy bent - he still should have been on the bench for example. For all there faults - I would have preferred the dreaded duo of Hutton\Warnock yesterday, than a load of lightweight defenders with 20 games between them.

Maybe these players - just wouldn't play ball - but I find that Hard to beleive. To sideline, en mass, what little experience we have, in favour of a unproven youngsters is a very high risk strategy

We already need a new centre back, defensive midfielder, attacking midfielder and winger and maybe a new forward if we sell Bent, might even need another centre back if Vlaar is the new Laursen injury wise. Bored of suggested possible new signings (done it on the last 10 pages on the thread) but would be worth looking at a few players from the MLS, Keane, Donnovan, Beckham or Cahill??