January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

ten million pounds is a lot of £,in football its not alot. RL has the right to set the agenda regarding funds but we all know 10m is not enough to stand still let alone improve your squad. this current squad will not last the second half of the season, we may get past bradford & get a day out at wembley but championship..get ready for the villa boys

£10 million will get us 1 or 2 established players who we'll have to sell once we are relegated or 2-3 young players who we might be able to keep even if we go down.

Neither of these options will be enough to keep us in the PL, much much more money is needed unless we wan't to rely on blind luck and faith

I can also see deals happening earlier in the window this year rather than this manic rush on the evening of the last day.

yes but for agents and selling clubs the last minute panic works in their favour which is why the Jan window is so **** stupid as people take unfair advantage of the desperation.

I think there might be a deal or 2 (lower league players) already pretty much wrapped up since earlier and that that was supposed to be it for this window, but due to the implosion over the last couple of games Lambert & Lerner have had to have a rethink. Still don't think any significant funds will be avaliable unless we sell Bent

If anyone from the club has spoken or leaked something to the media concerning our January budget then they have done us all a favour.

If 'The Telegraph' had stated that our budget was 30m we'd all be jumping for joy here but every club we enquired about one of their players would be rubbing their hands with glee adding millions on to the asking price.

Hasn't Lambert already stated that he has our targets lined up?

Pay peanuts get monkeys .

Yes because transfers work like that don't they?

Tell me, how is £50m Fernando Torres working out? Surely must've been close to winning the Ballon d'Or by now?

Or what about that Michu? He cost peanuts so I'm presuming he's been pretty shit, right?

Tell me, how is £50m Fernando Torres working out? Surely must've been close to winning the Ballon d'Or by now?

Or what about that Michu? He cost peanuts so I'm presuming he's been pretty shit, right?

Good examples and there are plenty more, but as a rule you get what you pay for.

Edit: Unless you buy english players or players from other PL teams as those prices are massivly inflated

Edited by sne

To be fair those are the exceptions. You can't assemble a whole team on £2m punts hoping they all turn out like Michu. There are bargains, they are disasters - then there are those that perform in line with the fee and wages paid.

I'll be surprised if we sign any established premier league players, if I'm honest. Wages are one thing, agents are another. I think our approach is to look further and buy better. RL's fingers have definitely been burnt and unless he has a sudden change of heart, we won't be so easily parted with our money, especially in the current climate.

Torres has been superb since Rafa arrived. I'd say he's close to recapturing his best form.

He was never worth £50m though and will never fully justify that price tag.

To be fair those are the exceptions. You can't assemble a whole team on £2m punts hoping they all turn out like Michu. There are bargains, they are disasters - then there are those that perform in line with the fee and wages paid.

Good examples and there are plenty more, but as a rule you get what you pay for.

Edit: Unless you buy english players or players from other PL teams as those prices are massivly inflated

Villa fans of all people should know that this is far from being a rule. While yes there are plenty where this is the case there are also many where this is not.