January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

If it's required that the wage bill is cut (and all reports say that it is), then big wage players who don't deliver accordingly will be lined up for a move. Bent and Given had their critics last year. Bent's goals kept us up the year he was signed. Financially, that was worth the £15m we will lose in selling him. If he doesn't fit the style of play Lambert wants, and is costing more in wages than other people who would fit better, it makes perfect sense to let him go, if anyone can be found to buy him. Given is costing a lot for a reserve goalie, and again we should be able to do better.

Zog and Ireland have had good spells in the past, but I don't think anyone would call them consistent or reliable. Again, if their wages mean that we can't afford to bring in people who will do a better job, then we should let them go if anyone will take them. Same with Dunne.

That's not an argument for bringing in only players from the third division, just a comment on what seems like the only thing to do if the wage bill must be cut.

You make very good points. If money wasn't a problem, Lambert wouldn't care less if they moved on or not but it is. The guys you mentioned are all on ridiculous money and the problem is finding clubs to offer them the same wages.

But do epople not think Lambert would rather spend £7m on an experienced Premier League player than a young player from the Championship? But you can only spend what you are given. My understanding is that he has made it very clear to the board that he needs around 5 experienced players. He doesn't want to buy kids from lower leagues. He also knows he can't offer the same money as the big-earners are on right now as the overall bill has to come down.

But he will get it right. Signings will come.

Where are you getting this from Hairyhands? Just curious.

this is NOT the time to rely on players from abroad, we need experienced premiership players in at least three positions

I get the need for experience but it really doesn't matter if they're from abroad. If you limit yourself to just the PL you're severely limiting your options. Edited by Mantis

http://mancity.fr/fl..._medium=twitter

Link to Guidetti again basic gist being we are favorites as we will pay whole salary but need to move on Hutton and Warnock

I can just see it come the end of january with us not making any signuficant signings with the excuse from the club of having to manage the wage bill and not being able to sell Hutton and Warnock.

The logic in saving a couple of £100.000 while at the same time playing russian roulett with our PL-status and the hundreds of millions of pounds that we'll lose if we're relegated is just beyond belief

Samba is a great shout. Cheeky move for Hangeland?

I had completely forgotten about Samba. An excellent shout.

Also, regarding Barry, though he's playing frequently for Man City at the moment, I remember hearing from someone who spoke to him, that he would like to return here one day. If Man City wanted to sell, I think his return would be much more likely than Milner's.

http://mancity.fr/fl..._medium=twitter

Link to Guidetti again basic gist being we are favorites as we will pay whole salary but need to move on Hutton and Warnock

That is bullshit surely about the need to move on Warnock before being able to pay the salary of Guidetti. Warnock is out of contract in 6 months. We could pay up his contract now for less than a mill or just leave him on loan till end of the season as I am sure at least 25% of his wages are being picked up by Bolton.

Randy really needs to see the bigger picture. Now is not the time for penny pinching. To get the kind of proven quality we need we are going to have to pay big wages. That is of course assuming that Lambert will go after proven quality at this level which having heard him on radio yesterday I am seriously beginning to doubt.

Mark, can you relay what you heard? There's a few people who heard him in the radio. What was your take on it?

I heard him on 5 live on the way back from VP. He was being interviewed by Pat Murphy who fair play to him didn't mince his words with Lambert. He asked Lambert if he felt our lack of experience was an issue. Lambert said this club had struggled in the previous two seasons with players that had plenty of experience. Murphy later asked him if he would be looking to sign experienced players in January and Lambert basically said that you did not know what you would be getting with experienced players and that he would be continuing with the policy of signing younger players ( he may have said the clubs policy of signing younger players )

I have to be honest and say I was shocked and disappointed in what he said. I was also baffled about what he meant when he said you didn't know what you were getting when signing experienced players. Surely the opposite is true and you know exactly what you are getting from a guy who has played 200, 300...games at the top level.

I think we all agree that now is not the time to be signing players with potential or players that simply haven't played at the top level. We are crying out for 2 or 3 players who have proven themselves to be quality operators at this level and who can give guidance/leadership to the young lads we have in abundance, some with great potential, but are crying out for a few experienced heads around them.

I heard him on 5 live on the way back from VP. He was being interviewed by Pat Murphy who fair play to him didn't mince his words with Lambert. He asked Lambert if he felt our lack of experience was an issue. Lambert said this club had struggled in the previous two seasons with players that had plenty of experience. Murphy later asked him if he would be looking to sign experienced players in January and Lambert basically said that you did not know what you would be getting with experienced players and that he would be continuing with the policy of signing younger players ( he may have said the clubs policy of signing younger players )

That's not correct.

The interview was carried on R5 and WM, and is available here, at 29.46.

The relevant question and answer is

"January transfer window - you've gone on record as saying that you don't particularly want to bring in some experienced older heads cause you're not sure what you're going to get from them."

"Well, I think you can panic and as I say it doesn't matter - even though we've got a young team, it doesn't really matter, if players are hungry to do it and they want to do it and they want to give everything they've got then it's certainly something I'll look at".

The answer is a little jumbled, like most live interviews, but Lambert specifically says in response to a direct question about bringing in experienced older players that it is something he will look at. He is however cautioning against panic buys.

That's not correct.

The interview was carried on R5 and WM, and is available here, at 29.46.

The relevant question and answer is

That is fair enough thank you for posting. From listening to the interview live I took from it that he didn't want to sign experienced players as you didn't know what you were getting. With out listening back to the interview it seems that is what Pat Murphy said that Lambert had stated previously and Lambert certainly from what I can recall dispute that.

Having just listened to the interview again Lambert does say that it was his decision to sign young players and that the club had experienced players in last couple of years and struggled so he was trying a different way and he will still go that way.

Obviously we can all dream of the Marin's, Milners and co but here are a couple of REALISTICALLY obtainable players who I think could strengthen us and steady the ship for a few months;

Danny Murphy (Blackburn) - mentioned previously, hugely experienced and could slot in as captain to mentor the young kids.

Pedersen (Blackburn) - Again easily obtainable and has premier league experience.

Zat Knight (Bolton) - Commanding presence and could really organise the back 3/4. Would love to come back I'm sure.

Kevin Davies (Bolton) - Outstanding professional, cameo appearances from the bench or as a starter would be extremely valuable in our current state. Excellent role model for the likes of Weimann and Benteke.

Having just listened to the interview again Lambert does say that it was his decision to sign young players and that the club had experienced players in last couple of years and struggled

Yes, he does.

and he will still go that way.

No, he doesn't. The presenter says that, who wasn't even there during the interview. Lambert specifically leaves open the possibility of bringing in experience, while warning that it's possible to make panic signings in January.

If you think he will stick with young players and will refuse to sign more experienced players, that's a perfectly valid viewpoint for you to hold. But it's not what Lambert said.