General England thread

kurtsimonw

Don't agree with the lack of quality, yes were lacking up front but Ashley cole and Kyle walker love to get forward and whip in a cross, so what do we do tonight, we use the same midfield pairing that has failed to produce for the last decade and let them take it in turns lobbing balls to Lambert to head back at them because he had no one to knock on to. Utilise the ability of the full backs and you can still keep a tight midfield, Roy just loves having a rigid 442.

yeah the last time we needed to beat Poland at Wembley in order to qualify we battered them didn't we? ;)

Poland had a pretty good team then  though. They actually got to the semis of the world cup.

Lato, Deyna, Lubanski to name few. Some of their best players ever

Edited by PaulC

Don't agree with the lack of quality, yes were lacking up front but Ashley cole and Kyle walker love to get forward and whip in a cross, so what do we do tonight, we use the same midfield pairing that has failed to produce for the last decade and let them take it in turns lobbing balls to Lambert to head back at them because he had no one to knock on to. Utilise the ability of the full backs and you can still keep a tight midfield, Roy just loves having a rigid 442.

I get what you are saying re overlapping fullbacks etc. but 442?? Lambert was so isolated it was ridiculous. For me it was a very deep 451

Acceptable point.

Bog standard performance which sums up where England are currently, average manager (but I really don't think that's the issue) and an average group of players to pick from.

I'm tempted to say last 16 at the world cup at best but I think England will really struggle to get out of the group if they draw likes of Ivory Coast, Belgium, Uruguay, Colombia etc as the defence looked awful first half against a bit of pace and movement.

I get what you are saying re overlapping fullbacks etc. but 442?? Lambert was so isolated it was ridiculous. For me it was a very deep 451
Think were both really thinking just what was Walcott doing tonight, i though his role was to support Lambert and run on to his headers, Walcott seemed to think his job tonight was to get the ball and run as fast as possible then trip over and hold his ankle shouting "**** sake" and punching the ground Edited by Jimzk5
  • Like 1

Wilshere was very good before that injury that took him out for a season. Since he came back I agree he hasn't looked anything amazing. He's not a 10 imo as he has issues of when to release the ball properly when he goes on mazy runs which means he loses the ball or gets tackled and he never really looks like scoring.

That was so so poor. I'm not certain Lambert is international standard (even by England's low standard) but he was played in completely the wrong way. He's not pacy and doesn't seem to be brilliant at holding the ball up and get he was played up on his own. His touch was absolutely awful. Lampard was dreadful again and Milner is poor as a winger. Walcott can't pass the ball to save his life and Wilshere must be the most overrated player I've seen in a long time. 

I wouldn't mind if Ukraine played well but they were dreadful too. I think the most depressing thing is that I'm starting to wonder whether Harry Redknapp might have done a better job. Woeful.

• Like 1

That was so so poor. I'm not certain Lambert is international standard (even by England's low standard) but he was played in completely the wrong way. He's not pacy and doesn't seem to be brilliant at holding the ball up and get he was played up on his own. His touch was absolutely awful. Lampard was dreadful again and Milner is poor as a winger. Walcott can't pass the ball to save his life and Wilshere must be the most overrated player I've seen in a long time. 

I wouldn't mind if Ukraine played well but they were dreadful too. I think the most depressing thing is that I'm starting to wonder whether Harry Redknapp might have done a better job. Woeful.

Not saying Harry would have done any better but at least we would have played some attacking football. FA always go for the safe option. Hodgson wasn't big enough for Liverpool and he isn't big enough for England.

How does getting to the world cup break down if we fail to top the group?

Clicky -  Top 8 2nd placed team go through to the play offs (though it's slightly more complicated as results against the 6th placed team are ignored for groups A-H to even things up for France).  Top 4 in FIFA rankings are seeded and 2-legged matched will be played on the 15th & 19th of November (most likely with the seeded teams playing at home on the 2nd leg and each given a 4 goal headstart to make sure the right teams go through*).

As for the match, I got back from a thing to find the skybox had "mysteriously" been changed over (i.e. someone else wanted to watch the bake off) so thus my crappy 1 satellite input wouldn't record the other channel so I had to resort to watching ITV+1, missing the 1st 20 minutes and having to endure the half time analysis.  And so it passed that England did everything I feared, go for the jugular and stamp all over a 0-0 victory.  Both centre halves I thought had a decent enough game - mostly because the full backs and midfield were too busy pratting about and causing all the attention to go to them.

Still, nice to see another England manager attempt to shoehorn into another midfield setup - because clearly the other 4 or so managers who've tried this weren't doing it right or something.  And I'll keep the criticism of Roy short as a lot of his selection issues have been well trodden - however I find it a little alarming that whilst Sven has a tendency to make England play lovely football right up to the point we'd score and take the lead (and then get everyone to retreat to our own 18yard area to see out the game), Roy's setting us up to do much the same, except skipping the bit about taking the lead.

*Half of that sentence is probably not true.

A spectacularly dull match tonight. England looked happy for a 0-0 from the start and bar a few moments, Ukraine never looked liked scoring. I am not Cahill's biggest fan but he played well tonight. Walker looked like he was distracted (I wonder why) and Wiltshire is either struggling with form or is still not fit. It is a bit worrying that really Lampard, Gerrard and Cole are still 3 of the top 5 peformers for England when it is likely they will all retire next year. Its a deeply average side, but they are one step nearer the World Cup tonight, so I will not be too hard on them. Has home nation international football ever been so low of expectation and pefromances?

I'd like to applaud Mr Hodgson for a completely tactically inept display. Why oh why oh why does he persist with Milner as a winger? Why bring Cleverley on as a winger when you have Townsend and Sterling on the bench and Gabby at home? Why is Young any where near the England team after a long injury lay off? Why did we only have 2 available strikers for that game? Why do we persist with the mediocre Cleverley when you have players like Henderson and Delph who are on much better form?

We're a long ball team now and its pitiful. I have no idea why we don't just play counter attacking football with the players and pace we have available. 

Â