Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

I find them more interesting than those clubs.  They don't bore me.  It's only an opinion on a football forum.

So would you rather have Bournemouth or Leeds in the Premier League?  Which 20 clubs would make yours?

(**** lol at "opinion on a football forum" though).

Edited by bobzy

Just now, bobzy said:

So would you rather have Bournemouth or Leeds in the Premier League?  Which 20 clubs would make yours?

(**** lol at "opinion on a football forum" though).

I think we tend to prefer the clubs that were up there when we were growing up.  So the likes of Forest, Wednesday, Leeds for me.  Football is built on rivalries too.  Having a league padded with lesser clubs means you have fewer meaningful games each season from a fan perspective.  You want fixtures that you keep a particular eye out for.  You don't search through the fixture list to find when you'll be playing Burnley.  Or maybe you do.  I dunno :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think we tend to prefer the clubs that were up there when we were growing up.  So the likes of Forest, Wednesday, Leeds for me.  Football is built on rivalries too.  Having a league padded with lesser clubs means you have fewer meaningful games each season from a fan perspective.  You want fixtures that you keep a particular eye out for.  You don't search through the fixture list to find when you'll be playing Burnley.  Or maybe you do.  I dunno :)

I think completely different for me - I hate the idea of football being stagnated.  It's bad enough generally, so Leicester last season were a huge breath of fresh air.  The top 6 (arguably top 7) at the moment being the exact clubs that "should" comprise those positions is the kind of thing I find boring - let alone having the exact same 17 clubs in the league with another same 6 yo-yoing each season.

Personally, I don't browse the fixture list for any particular fixtures anyway (aside from when we play derby games).  I tend to look more for who we play on Boxing Day, who we play first game/last game of the season etc. For the sake of staying on topic, I'd look for when we play Leeds United the same amount that I'd look to see when we play Watford or West Ham or Southampton - and I have no idea when we play Leeds this season either!

Edited by bobzy

40 minutes ago, BOF said:

You do if your Blackburn ;) my ideal league would be 

Aston villa

birmingham city

west Bromwich Albion 

wolverhampton wanderers

nottingham forest

derby county

Leicester city

leeds United 

Sheffield Wednesday 

Sheffield United 

Manchester United 

Manchester  city

liverpool 

Everton 

sunderland

newcastle united

tottenham hotspur

arsenal

chelsea

West Ham united

Edited by Rugeley Villa

Just now, bobzy said:

I think completely different for me - I hate the idea of football being stagnated.  It's bad enough generally, so Leicester last season were a huge breath of fresh air.  The top 6 (arguably top 7) at the moment being the exact clubs that "should" comprise those positions is the kind of thing I find boring - let alone having the exact same 17 clubs in the league with another same 6 yo-yoing each season.

Personally, I don't browse the fixture list for any particular fixtures anyway (aside from when we play derby games).  I tend to look more for who we play on Boxing Day, who we play first game/last game of the season etc. For the sake of staying on topic, I'd look for when we play Leeds United the same amount that I'd look to see when we play Watford or West Ham or Southampton - and I have no idea when we play them this season either!

I agree and I wasn't suggesting stagnation per se.  I think the aforementioned sides have spent long enough outside the top division so I was more suggesting it's high time they get another go at it.  And while you may be right that as Villa fans we wouldn't necessarily look for the Leeds fixture, you can be sure there are a few clubs up there who would.  And that's my point.  They have some serious rivalries which would spice things up a lot more than many clubs.  But seeing as it's looking more realistic that we'll be a playoff side this season, maybe Leeds can wait one more year.

25 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Aston villa

birmingham city

west Bromwich Albion 

wolverhampton wanderers

nottingham forest

derby county

nottingham forest 

Leicester city

leeds United 

Sheffield Wednesday 

Sheffield United 

Manchester United 

Manchester  city

liverpool 

Everton 

sunderland

newcastle united

tottenham hotspur

arsenal

chelsea

Forest get two cracks at it? Not fair :P

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Aston villa

birmingham city

west Bromwich Albion 

wolverhampton wanderers

nottingham forest

derby county

nottingham forest 

Leicester city

leeds United 

Sheffield Wednesday 

Sheffield United 

Manchester United 

Manchester  city

liverpool 

Everton 

sunderland

newcastle united

tottenham hotspur

arsenal

chelsea

Look, if you want to go the hooters in Nottingham more than once a season, that's fine.

But if you do, at the very least try and conceal the fact by including notts county instead :P

Edit - damn beaten to it

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Leeds,villa,Newcastle. Pointless of course but thought I'd add that to my opinion even though I really don't like them.

No way Leeds are bigger than Villa IMO

I think I've said it before - but what's the fuss with Leeds? The Damned United seems to paint them as some massive, all conquering team - but in 14 years under Revie, 2 league titles and 1 FA Cup isn't exactly any kind of dominance. United, Derby, Liverpool and Everton won multiple titles in that period.

A total of 6 major trophies in their entire history (3 league, 1 FA Cup, 1 League Cup, 1 Cup Winners Cup) and they're barely as big as Wolves. I think there's a bigger argument to say Wolves or Albion are bigger than Leeds than there is Leeds being bigger than Villa.

23 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I think I've said it before - but what's the fuss with Leeds? The Damned United seems to paint them as some massive, all conquering team - but in 14 years under Revie, 2 league titles and 1 FA Cup isn't exactly any kind of dominance. United, Derby, Liverpool and Everton won multiple titles in that period.

A total of 6 major trophies in their entire history (3 league, 1 FA Cup, 1 League Cup, 1 Cup Winners Cup) and they're barely as big as Wolves. I think there's a bigger argument to say Wolves or Albion are bigger than Leeds than there is Leeds being bigger than Villa.

I suppose, much like the way Liverpool were the team when I was growing up, Leeds were one of those for the previous generation.  And even though they weren't winning the title every season, they went an 10 season stretch from 64/65 to 73/74 inclusive where they were never outside the top 4 and had seven top 2 finishes (I originally included a 2nd division title by accident!).  So you can kind of see how they garnered a massive following.  Add in the extra edge that their nastiness and reputation on the field had and you've got yourself the classic pantomime villain that everyone loves to hate.  Which is why any long-term Manchester United fan will tell you they've 2 rivalries.  Liverpool and Leeds.  That's it.  The rest is recent nonsense that doesn't have anything like the edge of those 2.

As for who's bigger.  It is definitely one of those pointless discussions, but as I said to Ruge, I can't see Leeds as being bigger than us, but it's all about opinions :) 

b2ef28b498db8397b8a7e839fab04813.png

There is a arguement for saying Leeds are at the right level, with the exception of two brief spells they've never been successful even when they were....they er weren't.

They had some of the trappings of being a big club, particularly the fan base but they aren't really within the history of the game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BOF said:

I suppose, much like the way Liverpool were the team when I was growing up, Leeds were one of those for the previous generation.  And even though they weren't winning the title every season, they went an 10 season stretch from 64/65 to 73/74 inclusive where they were never outside the top 4 and had seven top 2 finishes (I originally included a 2nd division title by accident!).  So you can kind of see how they garnered a massive following.  Add in the extra edge that their nastiness and reputation on the field had and you've got yourself the classic pantomime villain that everyone loves to hate.  Which is why any long-term Manchester United fan will tell you they've 2 rivalries.  Liverpool and Leeds.  That's it.  The rest is recent nonsense that doesn't have anything like the edge of those 2.

As for who's bigger.  It is definitely one of those pointless discussions, but as I said to Ruge, I can't see Leeds as being bigger than us, but it's all about opinions :) 

b2ef28b498db8397b8a7e839fab04813.png

So you think Leeds-United is a bigger rivalry than City or arsenal -united? Just seeing if I am misreading because I completely disagree. Maybe to Leeds fans but not from united end. It like us and west brom. They hate us and we don't give a damn about them

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So you think Leeds-United is a bigger rivalry than City or arsenal -united? Just seeing if I am misreading because I completely disagree. Maybe to Leeds fans but not from united end. It like us and west brom. They hate us and we don't give a damn about them

You may disagree but bear in mind it's not my opinion. It's the opinion of the United fans I know. And they'll know their rivalries better than you or I will. 

18 minutes ago, BOF said:

You may disagree but bear in mind it's not my opinion. It's the opinion of the United fans I know. And they'll know their rivalries better than you or I will. 

All united fans I know see Tottenham more as rivals than Leeds that's how insignificant Leeds are to United these days. 

41 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

All united fans I know see Tottenham more as rivals than Leeds that's how insignificant Leeds are to United these days. 

Maybe to modern fans but Leeds - Man United has always been a nasty rivalry and is seen by the older United fans as one of their top rivalries. Man United (and FC United) still sing songs about Leeds!

Liverpool, Leeds and Man City are the main historic Man United rivals.

• Like 3

Â