Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

I think it's sad that Yorkshire have no top flight Premiership presence any more, given their fanbase and football pedigree. However I'm also sad that it's going to be Leeds to restore that. Much rather it was Sheffield Utd, Wednesday or Hull.

I can't see how this buy out won't get them back up. They're quite close now, they just need a little bit more investment and some good signings, which they will certainly get, especially in the early days. Whether this leads to a 'false dawn' or whatever further down the line remains to be seen, but I don't think Leeds have to spend a huge amount to get promotion. Once they're back in the top their revenue will be decent enough to keep investing without relying too heavily on new buyers. I think it's a shrewd investment and it pains me to say that if I was a multi-millionaire, Leeds would probably be the club I'd buy (from a business perspective).

• 1 year later...

The prospective takeover of Leeds United by British consortium Sports Capital has collapsed.

The group, led by current Leeds managing director David Haigh and including the MD of the club's sponsors Andrew Flowers, announced their intention to buy a majority share in the club from current owners Gulf Finance House Capital in November.

The consortium had expected the deal to go through in time for funds to be made available for manager Brian McDermott ahead of the January transfer window.

However on Wednesday, Flowers accused GFH Capital of reneging on a deal to sell 75% of their shares to Sports Capital, suggesting that "a number of things have come to light which were not as originally described".

He was also critical of GFH's "11th-hour decision" to open talks with controversial Italian Massimo Cellino, the owner of Serie A club Cagliari.

And now Haigh has released a statement indicating that some of the bidding consortium's backers "ultimately didn't feel able to deliver the financial backing we had hoped was agreed to take the club forward".

Haigh continued: "Despite this, the future of this club remains the most important thing to me personally and I remain totally committed to putting the right team and backing in place to ensure that Leeds United can move forward.

"It is an indication of that commitment that in recent months the Sports Capital consortium and I personally have injected substantial sums into the club to ensure its viability.

"I have met many, many potential investors over the past year and, sadly, while many are keen to talk the talk they have been unable or unwilling to deliver in financial terms. Nevertheless these talks continue with a number of parties to seek the best possible outcome for Leeds United."

He added: "At the same time neither my life nor my job has been made easier by the personal intrusions and abuse directed towards me on social media or by some of the smear campaigns against me personally.

"Equally, some of the speculation & stories published in the media have made things difficult for everyone including the staff, players and supporters."

The club have also released a statement saying: "Following recent media speculation, GFH Capital can confirm that we are in continual discussions regarding the introduction of new investment into Leeds United Football Club.

"Since acquiring ownership of the club in December 2012, we have supported the club financially, supported the manager, and worked hard to forge closer links with both the fans and the local community.

We have never made any secret about the fact that our aim has always been to attract investment partners, and we are currently speaking to a number of parties regarding the acquisition of shares.

"We would ask fans to ignore the media speculation surrounding investment, and be assured that we remain as committed as ever to the club and ensuring any new investment is in the best interests of Leeds United, for now and the future."

The statements cast further doubt over the future of the club with Cellino's intentions regarding the club unknown and another consortium, led by Manchester United director Mike Farnan, also reportedly interested in acquiring a stake.

McDermott has admitted that matters off the field have affected the team, who ended a run of five straight defeats with a 1-1 draw at home against Ipswich on Tuesday, which left them 12th in the table.

The manager was able to sign wingers Jimmy Kebe and Cameron Stewart on loan near the start of the transfer window but was forced to abandon a move for striker Ashley Barnes - who subsequently joined Burnley - amidst reports that the owners had denied him the necessary funds.

new takeover has fallen through...

manager has been sacked...

captain and best player is on SSN telling everyone how unhappy he is...

:lol:

Spent three years in the city at uni and loved it. Got a few friends who are big Leeds fans, got to feel for them yesterday. At least all that went wrong for us was we couldn't secure Wesley hoolahan!

hahaha let the bastards sink. how anyone can have a soft spot for leeds I don't know, their fans are deluded mongs

The human race are deluded mongs. Why pick on Leeds?

Terrible decision from the owners who obviously know nothing about football. Leeds are a big club and deserve to have owners to bring them back to the Premier League for the good of all of us.

My leeds supporting uncle wanted him out before christmas, i know they arent that far off the playoffs but he constantly moaned about formations that didnt work and poor performances, and that was before the sheffield wednesday game

Like someone else said, deluded, convinced that they should be pissing the league every year

hahaha let the bastards sink. how anyone can have a soft spot for leeds I don't know, their fans are deluded mongs

The human race are deluded mongs. Why pick on Leeds?

Terrible decision from the owners who obviously know nothing about football. Leeds are a big club and deserve to have owners to bring them back to the Premier League for the good of all of us.

I agree, the human race are the worst animals on the planet and we will get whats coming to us one day. why pick on leeds? because its a horrible club with fans still stuck in the dark ages. yes they are a big club but so are certain other clubs that aint in the prem. never liked them and never will, tells you everything when they are probally the most hated club nationwide.but their fans say its because everyone is envious of them, yea right

• Like 1

psycho-car.jpg

I too have a soft spot for Leeds.

The only english ground where I've ever had trouble because of my accent. I thought Welsh rugby fans were big headed bores before I encountered Leeds, turns out they come a distant second.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Massimo Cellino has (apparently) decided to get rid of Paddy Kenny because of his birthday. Cellino doesn't like the number 17, he had renumbered all the seats at Caligari so that anything with 17 in it would have 16b instead and on finding out Paddy Kenny was born on May 17th has decided to leave him behind from Leeds' pre season tour of Italy and get him out of the club asap.   It's being reported by multiple sources but I am taking it with a pinch of salt because earlier this week Paddy Kenny was in the news for turning up to pre season training weighing about 17 stone.  This vine of him went viral. I suspect it's more to do with that than anything else...

Â