If I was producing a studio-type show, I'd aim for the following cast

Presenter

Retired striker

Retired midfielder

Retired defender

Retired goalkeeper

Manager between jobs but unlikely to leave midseason

Retired referee

1 or 2 journos (if 2, one good with analysis and commentary, another who can cover the ITK angle)

I "acquired" the midweek edition of MOTD, and maybe a little less money on the graphics package could free up some for the pundits.

How many chairs would you have though? I think eight (you listed eight at least) is far too many. A host and two or a host and three pundits is really what you should be looking for I think.

Anyone else notice the improved effort by the match of the day on Saturday. There appeared to be more effort and less of a lethargic approach. I reckon that is because the criticism Lineker received on Twitter in November.

i think thats BBC's biggest problem, they havent reacted quickly enough if at all to who their competition is and just how much football is available to watch

the fact that MOTD was 10x better than the dross ITV put out and the fact that their live football coverage gets better figures seems to mean that nothing needs fixing

they fail to realise that people can watch football just about anywhere now, i still dont understand why if ESPN on an app can show the prem goals from 6pm then sky cant do the same, add to that match choice 1st, goals on sunday etc and then the fact that spanish, MLS, dutch, italian and german league football is on its all working against them

when watching BBC and ITV at major tournaments and when watching ITV's CL coverage i genuinely believe ive seen more and know more about the players than their "experts" do and it infuriates me, i dont get paid to watch football and yet cram in around 5 games a week on average, shearer gets paid handsomely to watch football and knows absolutely **** all

That's the thing that gets me. If they have Phil Neville or Louis Saha or whoever on and they don't know much (although those are bad examples as those two are very good) then you can accept it. It's not their job.

But if the reported figures that Hansen and Shearer get paid are correct (circa £40k per episode IIRC) then it's outrageous that they don't put more effort in.

As I said, last week Shearer had a bit where he spoke about Jermain Defoe at reaosnable length, but didn't know how many goals he'd scored this season. Surely if ou're going to learn ONE stat, it woudl be that one.

Caught a bit of Neville talking about Torres before the Newcastle v Wigan game tonight. He was excellent, as usual. What's wrong, though - as the article in the Guardian that someone quoted earlier suggested - is that it's so rare for me to feel like I've actually learned something and received an insight into the game after listening to a pundit on British TV.

depends what you watch, as its been mentioned before revista la liga can be great, but im not sure if thats because hunter and GB are saying things that you havent spent the whole week reading in the red tops

not sure if id seen it in here or if id managed to think of it all by myself but has anyone ever caught revista talking about cazorla? not sure if its because its not a prem show that they took the different approach but rather than take the MOTD way of telling you he's spanish, 5ft6" and likes 5 yard passes for 10 minutes they instead asked why did madrid sign modric instead of cazorla, was a great indepth assessment of two players and two teams playing styles at the same time

Yup, I guess I was referring to the 'mainstream' football shows. I remember seeing something on Cazorla not too long ago that was interesting, so it may well have been Revista. There have been one or two great articles about him by Sid Lowe in the Guardian over the last couple of months, too.

The difference was highlighted quite well a few weeks ago:

BBC : Swansea really have made a blinding signing with Michu, god knows where they unearthed him from!

SKY : "So Gary - Swansea unearthed a gem with Miguel Michu didn't they?" "Well, he was the top scoring midfielder in La Liga last year, playing for Vallecano, he was hardly an unknown although they did amazing to get him for 2m with rumours of Athletico sniffing around him."

The difference was highlighted quite well a few weeks ago:

BBC : Swansea really have made a blinding signing with Michu, god knows where they unearthed him from!

SKY : "So Gary - Swansea unearthed a gem with Miguel Michu didn't they?" "Well, he was the top scoring midfielder in La Liga last year, playing for Vallecano, he was hardly an unknown although they did amazing to get him for 2m with rumours of Athletico sniffing around him."

Pretty much sums it up.

That just brings me back to Alan Shearer's famous comments about Ben Arfa from two years ago. Former Newcastle manager Alan Shearer I might add, who confidently declared that nobody knew much about Ben Arfa.

Yeah, he only had five French league title medals (from two different clubs) and was a full French international before Newcastle plucked him from nowhere...

not just that he works in punditry but as a Newcastle fan he should have done some research. e.g Villa get linked with some unknown and most fans will have at least Wikipedia or youtube the guy for some information

Â