Media and punditry

BOF

Sky sacked Mark Bolton. Neither Sky or Bolton have said why.

from his twitter feed in july2011

Sky Sports told me Im “Very talented & excellent on screen” but that Im “Anti-authoritarian” & that they’d decided to not renew my contract.’ So basically they dont like my attitude and wanted rid of a potential troublemaker within the company"

Wasn't it him who headbutted Richard Bacon for going out with his ex-girlfriend? Could have been someone else on Sky but I think it was him. He did sometimes have strong opinions on screen which I guess is more the pundit's job than the presenter.

Sunday Supplement is ok if youre happy to listen to in depth analysis of Spurs and Arsenal for 2 hours every weekend .

If ever a batch of poison croissants needed to be made it's for that programme. I'll never forgive Brian Woolnough for the way he used to talk to Jimmy Hill.

Sunday Supplement is ok if youre happy to listen to in depth analysis of Spurs and Arsenal for 2 hours every weekend .

If ever a batch of poison croissants needed to be made it's for that programme. I'll never forgive Brian Woolnough for the way he used to talk to Jimmy Hill.

Elaborate on the scenario between Woolnough and Jimmy Hill

The few times I've seen ITV football presentations, they have been even worse than Finnish YLE's (equivalent of BBC) and that's saying a lot.

Going horribly off-topic and probably being a little unfair at the same time...

But.

ITV seems to be aired for the benefit of the nation's idiots, across all spectrums of television.

The level of footballing punditry on ITV is about right for the Carling-drinking, Coronation Street watching, X-factor appreciating muppets who watch the channel in the first place.

The fact that the coverage is broken up by adverts for Oven chips and Butlins holidays is it's only saving grace.

Some people just want to see the goals and ITV appeal to that market.

They do make a token effort with punditry sometimes, like when Gareth Southgate predicts that the opposition's best player might be a bit tasty. A recent example would have been the recent European Super Cup when he (Southgate) was painted as a Nostradamus type figure by the rest of the panel because he mentioned before the game that Falcao, a €40m striker who has scored 110 goals in 140 games since moving to Europe, might give Chelsea some problems.

The best thing about ITV is that it means I don't have to see Adrian Chiles on MotD anymore.

:?

Adrian Chiles move to ITV from BBC

Yes. ITV took him from BBC, so it means I don't have to see him on MotD anymore, they did me a favour...

Stuart Robson.

Ex Arsenal and West Ham player, does a lot of co commentatory on Seria A on ESPN. Extremely good on the tactics side of the game.

Probably my favourite pundit on british tv for sports coverage is only on two weeks a year, that would be McEnroe.

I really don't think any football pundit comes close to him imo.

I don't know who's doing the pseudo-commentary on ITV4's Bundesliga Highlights (by "pseudo" I mean it's that type of commentary that is added post-match to a highlight reel but is spoken with emphasis as if to live broadcast) but they have drawn the ire of my inner-pedant on a number of occasions with the odd 'John-Barnes-ism' ("Ralf Unnerstall" instead of Ralf Fährmann or Lars Unnerstall, for example). Worse still, they like to sensationalise non-factoids like Aaron Hunt's mother being *gasp* an "Englishman" [sic]. Although hearing them pronounce "Grurrrrturrrfurrrrtuhhh" is worth the price of admission alone.

Yeah they have the same show on ESPN but it's half an hour longer on there. :?

I know the bloke you're on about but can't remember his name.

The other one who does the voiceover on the preview show is Gary Imlach who wrote a good book on his dad in cycling.

Back to pundits and I'm probably in the minority but I don't mind Savage although obviously hopefully we get him eating humble pie for predicting us to go down.

Stuart Robson.

Ex Arsenal and West Ham player, does a lot of co commentatory on Seria A on ESPN. Extremely good on the tactics side of the game.

agree talks a good game and seems quite articulate when speaking.

He also doesnt rate MON like other pundits, in our 3-0 win vs West Ham he kept calling him one dimensional:D

Â