Media and punditry

BOF

34 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

We're 5 points off Liverpool in 1st who have an 11 goal better goal difference than us. Realistically it will be very hard to make that up seeing as though they and Arsenal are both averaging nearly 2.2 points per game.

City are being included as they have 2 games in hand and realistically are likely to be at least 4 points (if not 6) above us once they've caught up.

To win the league we would need to out perform all 3 of these clubs over the next 15 games and this was our first 'challenge' in over a decade.

I think it's fair for the media to not involve us when talking about the title race. I've not seen Spurs fans annoyed that the media isn't saying they could win it.

Right, we would need to do two wins better than a side that hasn't lost a single game in which they've kept 11 men on the pitch. And that isn't even Man City! 

We would need to win pretty much every remaining game in the season, I think it's not unreasonable for the media to consider that so unlikely to happen it's not worth analysing too deeply. 

• Like 3

What they wish they could get away with is:

Premier League Title Race!

1. Liverpool

2. Arsenal

3. Man City

5. Tottenham

6: Man United

11. Chelsea

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Right, we would need to do two wins better than a side that hasn't lost a single game in which they've kept 11 men on the pitch. And that isn't even Man City! 

We would need to win pretty much every remaining game in the season, I think it's not unreasonable for the media to consider that so unlikely to happen it's not worth analysing too deeply. 

It's worse than that. It'd be incredibly difficult and impressive to catch Liverpool, but we'd also need Arsenal and City to drop points. 

We're not in a title challenge after our recent form. We're now in a fight for top 4.

38 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If City didn't have 2 games in hand they would still be included

Possibly, but they have the recent history (of not only regularly winning the league but also being a lot better in the later stages of the season) for the media to fall back upon. The last time we even finished in the top 4 was 1996 which is nearly 30 years ago. 

32 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

What they wish they could get away with is:

Premier League Title Race!

1. Liverpool

2. Arsenal

3. Man City

5. Tottenham

6: Man United

11. Chelsea

After the game yesterday BT Sport tweeted that Arsenal were unbeaten against the "Big 6" this season. Cue a lot of replies saying but not the "Top 6" though eh 

40 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Thats fair enough but this is all hypothetical. Media is supposed to deal with facts and even if its a pipedream we are still currently in the title race considering we have to play all 3 teams above us

If Man United or Chelsea were in our position they would not get same treatment

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Thats fair enough but this is all hypothetical. Media is supposed to deal with facts and even if its a pipedream we are still currently in the title race considering we have to play all 3 teams above us

If Man United or Chelsea were in our position they would not get same treatment

Agreed - but they'll have been tipped to finish higher than us by many pundits this season.

A few games ago, we were absolutely being included in the conversation.  There was a lot of coverage of Aston Villa being in the title race and Emery being asked about a title challenge etc.  However, our form over the last 5 games is worse than any other side in the top 6.  We've shifted away from the likely title race, even if we're still in the bigger picture.

I'd fancy Spurs to be more likely to challenge for the title than us, and they're not being spoken about either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

If City didn't have 2 games in hand they would still be included

I mean come on, this is completely reasonable. It's Man City

People aren't really annoyed by this are they?

16 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I find our fanbase (general) is becoming increasingly annoying regarding the whole "media" thing.

They don't hate us!

you know its not just our fanbase, nearly everz team not in the scum 6 are not happy with the media respect they get

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

you know its not just our fanbase, nearly everz team not in the scum 6 are not happy with the media respect they get

I don't follow other teams so I wouldn't have a clue about them.  Just Aston Villa - and we're heading that way so, so quickly.  Need to get over it.

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

That's kind of the point really though isn't it?

Big club bias is a thing.

It's not an agenda against Villa

Nice to see Odegarrd have a pop back at Sky clearings in the woods Carragher and Neville over Arsenal celebrations. Both be loving it if was Liverpool or United

Interesting interview other day from Le Tissier about how Sky sacked him and they told him some of it was over his tweets and Sky said nothing when he brought up Carragher spitting. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Nice to see Odegarrd have a pop back at Sky clearings in the woods Carragher and Neville over Arsenal celebrations. Both be loving it if was Liverpool or United

Interesting interview other day from Le Tissier about how Sky sacked him and they told him some of it was over his tweets and Sky said nothing when he brought up Carragher spitting. 

Sky should never have brought Carragher back after what he did. I still can’t believe they did and they carry on like nothing happened.

They sacked Gray and Keys for less.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Odegaard took pictures of the fans. Carragher spat on a 14 year old girl. I don't think his judgement and morality is placed to judge him.

Just now, Genie said:

They sacked Gray and Keys for less.

I don't agree with this. They clearly don't (or at least didn't) judge women as fully rounded people deserving of respect. The clip of Gray asking Charlotte Jackson to tuck his sound kit in whilst he's pulling his jeans open is disgusting, and you can see she's not happy with it.

16 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

I don't agree with this. They clearly don't (or at least didn't) judge women as fully rounded people deserving of respect. The clip of Gray asking Charlotte Jackson to tuck his sound kit in whilst he's pulling his jeans open is disgusting, and you can see she's not happy with it.

I’m certainly not saying they didn’t deserve to be sacked, but Carragher spat at a girl. That’s another level. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

They have to play us at Villa Park, could be 2 points after that. 

Enjoying the insight from Michail Antonio on Sky. I’ve always thought he speaks well when interviewed and he’s showing he’s got a brain on him (even if he’s keeping it warm with a daft hat). 

4 hours ago, Genie said:

I’m certainly not saying they didn’t deserve to be sacked, but Carragher spat at a girl. That’s another level. 

Carragher is a horrible twunt, how he’s held in such esteem by Sky I have no idea

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jonesy7211 said:

You must be a bit prudish to call it digusting, inapproproate in the workplace definately, although they did get sacked for more than just that.

Â