Media and punditry

BOF

What a load of bollocks that article is. Makes no mention of Mon taking over 'lowly' Aston villa and spent £200 and still finished no higher than 6th, after his Seismic achievements in Scotland? What achievements was these then? The SPL is a joke.

Now I normally quite like the lugubrious Barry Glendenning but it annoyed me a little bit when he said what was the point of Villa today on Talkshite. Might as well say the same for most clubs in the premier league then.

Edited by The Fun Factory

the thing is, he's not that far wrong...

we're what, the 5th / 6th biggest team in the country (? might have the C&B glasses on) look at where football has gone and where it is going, what is the point of us? fun factory is right, you can say that about 3/4 of the prem, the happy to be here brigade, we're not competing, we're not doing anything, but then you have the likes of everton who flirt with it every now and then without winning or doing anything either and they're media darlings and a model club, but same again, whats the point of them? neither of us are winning anything, and at least our best players arent on loan...

sounds like he's approaching it from the wrong angle, clubs like us and everton, throw in newcastle and they'd never admit it but id add spurs, if they stopped rubbing themselves raw over all these great things southampton are doing and saw whats on their horizon, none of us can win the league and there's nothing we can do about it, rather than criticise us why doesn't he put some effort in and try and write something that goes against the premier league, the worlds best most exciting league

I think the comments about Lennon are a bit unfair, he could definitely win the Premier League title.

Providing he was at a club which spent 500% more on wages than everybody else in the division.

• Like 3

I think the comments about Lennon are a bit unfair, he could definitely win the Premier League title.

Providing he was at a club which spent 500% more on wages than everybody else in the division.

Manchester City or Chelsea then?  :P

Well no, because Man City have to deal with Chelsea and Chelsea have to deal with Man City. Arsenal, Liverpool & Manchester United are competitive with wages too.

Maybe it's just because we always seem to have shit games whenever he's commentating, but Niall Quinn really gets on my **** nerves. He seems to revel in it when we lose or are playing poorly and he comes out with so much shit.

word removed.

Well Niall Quinn is just an incredibly dour man with no charisma, so he probably sounds like he hates everyone.

However, was he still Sunderland chairman when we came in for Darren Bent? I seem to remember Sunderland fans giving their board a load of stick for selling him to us. Perhaps he copped a load of that, hence the perception that he may hate us.

Well Niall Quinn is just an incredibly dour man with no charisma, so he probably sounds like he hates everyone.

However, was he still Sunderland chairman when we came in for Darren Bent? I seem to remember Sunderland fans giving their board a load of stick for selling him to us. Perhaps he copped a load of that, hence the perception that he may hate us.

I'm not even sure dour is the right way to describe him - he just comes across as smug and condescending. He also seems to do nothing but spout cliches. Take the game today for example, basically any "foul" we committed after Stoke got in front he put down to "frustration", even though a lot of them were just standard mistimed tackles that players make all the time.

That would make sense. I remember when he was commentating on that Newcastle game and for somebody that is supposed to be Mr Sunderland he didn't seem particularly unhappy when Newcastle got that late winner.

clearing in the woods of the highest order. Maybe it's purely because I've come to associate him with inept Villa performances. Did he commentate on the Norwich game?

Edited by Mantis

Peter Schmeichel made me sick tonight on MOTD2. Always thought of him as a lousy pundit but tonight he took his ManUre bias to new levels. "Lallana deserves to play for a big club, a club like Manchester United. Good players should play for the big clubs".

I hope Citeh tear them a new one.

• Like 1

NIall Quinn really is a condescending prick of the highest order. have we ever won a game when he has commentated?

"Mark Hughes deserves a pat on the head for winning at Villa Park"

"Villa youngsters like Westwood and Delph were too naïve and need an old head like Peter Crouch to show the way though before the game he was praising the maturity of them 2"

• Like 1

Forget a pat on the head, Niall Quinn deserves a punch in the face.

And I don't remember us ever winning with him commentating. So far the games I've seen this season with him commentating are Fulham away, Newcastle away and Stoke at home - all horrible games.

Edited by Mantis

Surprised nobody has mentioned it yet...but was anyone else equally irate about the quality of the coverage for our game vs Man Utd today?

BT sports buildup = nothing more than a cursory mention of the opposition. I honestly nearly forgot Villa were playing

During game - Just after Mata's goal - "That goal was coming, man utd dominant since the whistle, Fellani has been such a handful" - utter tripe.
After Game - Again..who were the opposition? No mention of Benteke misses or fortune of Man Utd's 3rd.

Fawning over Rooney

Fawning over Kagawa (who IMO was anonymous)

Fawning over Man Utds improved defence

At the end "Man Utds support standing in unison for the chosen one" - PISS OFF.

I hate modern football.

• Like 2

Michael Owen has an irritating monotone voice and his insights are an absolutely bag of dog shit. He's emerging as one of the very worst co-commentators out there, in fact, he has surpassed Townsend and is second only to Niall Quinn. 

Couldn't agree more. He is absolute word removed and I cannot abide listening to him and his drab voice. He doesn't provide one iota of insight.

Â