Media and punditry

BOF

Townsend was never good enough to play for England, but played for ROI because of his family roots, there was a handful of others who were born in England but played for Ireland, Chris Houghton was one of them

and mark lawrenson

You mean Ray Houghton?

Townsend was never good enough to play for England, but played for ROI because of his family roots, there was a handful of others who were born in England but played for Ireland, Chris Houghton was one of them

and mark lawrenson

I think Ray Hughton was another.

;)

and mark lawrenson

You mean Ray Houghton?

Chris Hughton in this case I believe.

A quick search of the ROI squad for the 1994 world cup

Townsend - born in london

Aldridge - born in Liverpool

Houghton - born in glasgow

Babb - born in lambeth

Phelen - born in Manchester

Cascarino - born in kent

Edited by Jimzk5

Babb - born in lambeth

Cascarino - born in kent and had no Irish roots

fixed for you ;)

Paul McGrath was born in London too, so it's not the be all and end all.

His story was different though. His mum moved to London while pregnant because she wasn't married.

Paul McGrath was born in London too, so it's not the be all and end all.

His story was different though. His mum moved to London while pregnant because she wasn't married.

Which is what I was saying, where you're born isn't nesseserly your nationality.

I guess. My point is that McGrath is not a plastic paddy like a lot of the other names mentioned on this page. He was born in London but he doesn't have a drop of English blood in his body, he grew up in Ireland and moved back to Ireland once his playing career was over. Shit, he is one of the few players from that generation who speaks with an Irish accent.   I guess to see him mentioned in the same breath as Tony Cascarino who qualified because he had a pint of Guinness once is a little galling, and I say that as an Englishman. 

• Like 3

I guess. My point is that McGrath is not a plastic paddy like a lot of the other names mentioned on this page. He was born in London but he doesn't have a drop of English blood in his body, he grew up in Ireland and moved back to Ireland once his playing career was over. Shit, he is one of the few players from that generation who speaks with an Irish accent.   I guess to see him mentioned in the same breath as Tony Cascarino who qualified because he had a pint of Guinness once is a little galling, and I say that as an Englishman. 

he is also one of rare few from his generation that played in the local league before he got his move to United

BBC Sport today 'Villa's final home game of an uncomfortable campaign ended in a solid win, a sixth success in front of their own fans effectively removing the threat of dropping to the second tier for the first time since 1988' Umm no 1987. Could you get your facts right for once BBC?

On MOTD yesterday Shearer argued it was Villa's front 3 which has kept us up this year. Does he watch any football? All of our strikers have had worse seasons last year. With 2 games to go we have scored 8 less goals than last year. It is more down to the likes of Bacuna, Delph and Westwood chipping in with a few (and I mean few) goals which has helped us this year. The reason why we have stayed up is our defence which is okay, compard to the shambles served by Fulham, Norwich and Cardiff. We have let in 54 goals compared to to 69 last year mostly on the grounds that Vlaar has played most of the season and Lambert has dropped Bennett.  I am sure they look at all this when they say stuff on MOTD.

BBC had gotten two ex-liverpool players in MOTD2, I wonder how smug they feel now. :P

Said this in the other thread too, but they are also both ex Man City. ;) 

Babb - born in lambeth

Cascarino - born in kent and had no Irish roots

fixed for you ;)

Ah that's a bit unfair on Cascarino. The issue is whether adoption counts. You saying people adopted by Irish parents aren't entitled to citizenship? Scabby.

BOO! Neither of Delph's great goals (vs. Chelski and WBA) or Benteke's goal against Norwich are not in MOTDs Goal of the Season voting.

they weren't scored by Wayne Rooney so they don't count

BOO! Neither of Delph's great goals (vs. Chelski and WBA) or Benteke's goal against Norwich are not in MOTDs Goal of the Season voting.

they weren't scored by Wayne Rooney so they don't count

I hope this rule is used at the World Cup.

Â