Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Him and Delph are starting to complement each other really well in midfield. We badly need a top class creative midfielder to play in the hole ahead of them and I think our midfield would look immeasurably better.

Totally mind blowing how any Villa fan cant appreciate how good this lad plays

Yeah, I think some just don't appreciate that style of play. I think he's a real talent. He gives us so much composure in the middle of the park and it's a joy to watch. He will have bad games of course, he's made a big step up, but he's doing really well. Deserves a new contract when this season is over with. 

Because that's a nonsensical argument. Where we are at the table has no direct relation to the player's role or quality on the team.

Some say Guzan is a great shot stopper and top keeper. But we're 18th and leaking goals so he's obviously not.

See how silly that argument looks?

Not really. Some/most goals are un - saveable and down to more than just the keeper.

Thought Westwood played well today though.

Westwood has the making to be a solid player. He is a calming calming presence in the midfield by keeping the ball and not giving it away. Yes, he is not the most creative or going to score loads of goals but that is not his job in the team. His job is to keep the ball and give it to the more creative players and to give us some width by passing it to the wide men. 

He played well yesterday. He wasnt one of the top performers though. I thought The back 5 and Gabby (who I actually thought was outstanding) were all better, Then Delph, Westwood and Bowery - followed by Weimann and Benteke who I thought were the worst performers. I don't think he was the focal point to the team as many suggest. I thought we completely lost our way a bit when Gabby went off, and once they equalised youd be lying if you thought what happened would happen.

To be fair to Woodytom, Westwood's passing accuracy was 75% yesterday, down from 97% against QPR at Villa Park.

Stoke are probably the hardest team in the PL to get any kind of good skill stats against because of the way they play so not too many conclusions can be drawn.

Important thing was, we did not lose the midfield, at least until Charlie Adam was brought on.

He played well yesterday. He wasnt one of the top performers though. I thought The back 5 and Gabby (who I actually thought was outstanding) were all better, Then Delph, Westwood and Bowery - followed by Weimann and Benteke who I thought were the worst performers. I don't think he was the focal point to the team as many suggest. I thought we completely lost our way a bit when Gabby went off, and once they equalised youd be lying if you thought what happened would happen.

Nobody said he was the focal point. In fact he's the complete opposite. If you don't notice him, he's had a good game. Which is what everybody has been saying all along. You can't moan about people not offering up decent debate when you ignore everything that's said and spout drivel.

Edited by StefanAVFC

I have been really impressed with Westwood this season other than the odd bad game. To move up from League Two to the Premiership is tough, and even tougher when Villa do not have many wise old heads in the same to help people like Westwood and Lowton-  Stephen Ireland take note. Very calm on the ball and can pick a pass, reminds me slighty of Gaz Baz. I think he is improving and will be even better next year. If he can improve on his tracking back and starts scoring the odd goal, he could be a massive player for Villa in the future. For 2 million, its a steal.

Lambert also took the opportunity to praise young midfielder Ashley Westwood, who signed from Crewe last summer and has enjoyed a successful first campaign at Villa Park.

"Coming from where he was and to do what he has done here is absolutely phenomenal," said Lambert.

"Players like Christian Benteke get all the headlines and I suppose a lot of the work Ashley does goes unnoticed by some, but not by me.

"The team functions when he's getting the ball and giving it.

"I think that maybe now, with the way he's playing, he's finally starting to get the recognition he deserves."

Gwan Ashley

Westwood has done really well.

I think delph for me is the man i want to see next to him.

Hopefully we sign a decent attacking midfield player to play with those 2 and i think that could be a very good midfield 3.

Westwood has really surprised me. I thought he'd be a squad player at best this year and be one for the future but he's been a good signing.

Doesn't always have a big impact on a game but then he puts in sensational performances like the one against QPR.

Thing I like about him is that he doesn't seem to panic. He settles it with his first touch and then looks to play it forward or looks for an option that will start an attack instead of passing it back to a pressured defender or Guzan. Yeah, you might not always notice him or see him drive forward with the ball, but it's those kinds of decisions that will lead to retaining possession and building an attack instead of needlessly hoofing it up field.

Thing I like about him is that he doesn't seem to panic. He settles it with his first touch and then looks to play it forward or looks for an option that will start an attack instead of passing it back to a pressured defender or Guzan. Yeah, you might not always notice him or see him drive forward with the ball, but it's those kinds of decisions that will lead to retaining possession and building an attack instead of needlessly hoofing it up field.

Agreed, His first touch is usually a one touch spin forward as well which is handy, otherwise he'd have to take 2 touches to turn which gives the opposition time to close him down.

I see in my crystal ball that at some point in the not to distant future one of the BBC pundits will drool all over him and then all of sudden he is gonna be widely recognized for his ability and everyone will say that they have know for years how good he is.

Edited by tarjei

I hope not. I want him to stay our hidden gem as long as possible.

I'd say he's our 3rd best player this year, just below Guzan and Benteke on par with Weimann.

For such a young player he's been immense.

I hope not. I want him to stay our hidden gem as long as possible.

I'd say he's our 3rd best player this year, just below Guzan and Benteke on par with Weimann.

For such a young player he's been immense.

And even though people keep saying he's come from L1, it's actually L2 really. Future captain hopefully.

I see in my crystal ball that at some point in the not to distant future one of the BBC pundits will drool all over him and then all of sudden he is gonna be widely recognized for his ability and everyone will say that they have know for years how good he is.

been from Norway I assume your not aware of the level of knowledge the BBC pundits have. more likely to drool over a Gerrard 3 yard pass or a Jordan Henderson throw-in ;)

• Like 3

Hehe, I see MOTD occasionally and I've noticed that aside from cumming all over the usual suspects they also tend to pick out players that most people don't know much about because it makes them seem knowledgeable. They show a few clips with some circles and trailing lines and in the next few weeks the media brigade jump on the wagon.

He'll be a key player in our midfield for the next few years. Incredible to think that he was in League 2 with Crewe last season.

Extremely comfortable on the ball, rarely wastes a pass and always makes himself available.

If we stay up and manage to keep Benteke, then we just need a good centre back and we've got a very good spine in the team; Guzan - CB - Westwood - Benteke.