Ashley Westwood

Nabby

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

Because there is nothing else.

Nail on head. I am sure if there was something better in the squad they would be playing. Bruce inherited diabolical midfield options and those not playing haven't suddenly become better players.

January can't come quick enough. I would be very surprised and mightily pissed off if come February 1st Westwood is still considered one of our top four midfield options.

22 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Nail on head. I am sure if there was something better in the squad they would be playing. Bruce inherited diabolical midfield options and those not playing haven't suddenly become better players.

January can't come quick enough. I would be very surprised and mightily pissed off if come February 1st Westwood is still considered one of our top four midfield options.

I was genuinely shocked by what I witnessed from Westwood tonight.

i have never favoured him , but that was a new low for me.

If i had been playing like this in my Old Boys team, I would have been substituted at half time. Shocking how he gets a full game. I just don't understand it. I was like playing with 9 men, with hm and Agbonlahor not contributing.

19 hours ago, villadodo said:

I'm just going to let the stats do the talking here.

Championship games Westwood has started...

Played 15
Won 2
Drawn 8
Lost 5
Points 14
Points per game 0.93

Championship games Westwood hasn't started...

Played 6
Won 4
Drawn 2
Lost 0
Points 14
Points per game 2.33

This is not even taking into account that we scored an equaliser after he came off in the 85th minute against Newcastle. And that we let conceded an equaliser after he came on against Barnsley.

Based on points per game if we had played all 21 games without Westwood we would be top of the table (48.93 points). If we played every game with Westwood we would be in the relegation zone (18.93) points.

These stats have zero context and don't even take into account the not so insignificant event that was the managerial change, and the complete reversal in fortune that resulted. 

That said, it was a pretty bad performance by him yesterday. Well, not bad per se but he was completely anonymous. Didn't really do anything of note. Ineffectual at best and worst.

29 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

These stats have zero context and don't even take into account the not so insignificant event that was the managerial change, and the complete reversal in fortune that resulted. 

That said, it was a pretty bad performance by him yesterday. Well, not bad per se but he was completely anonymous. Didn't really do anything of note. Ineffectual at best and worst.

It was very bad yesterday. A terrible performance. And apart from the Leeds game just like the ones he's been putting in recently. 

38 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It was very bad yesterday. A terrible performance. And apart from the Leeds game just like the ones he's been putting in recently. 

Depends on how you view terrible tbf. If you consider not really doing anything to be a terrible performance, then fair enough. He was so anonymous that he couldn't really be terrible. It's not that he did something wrong, but more that he didn't do anything right because...he didn't do anything. Like, I didn't even realize he was playing til midway in the second half.

He was embarrassing last night. There's no defending him at all. 

Good piece this, sums it up quite nicely.

There's ineffective and then there's Ashley Westwood.

These players are in every club - two of them used to be at Villa but Tom Cleverley has since upgraded to stand around Everton doing nothing instead.

It's not that they're particularly terrible footballers - it's just that they're afraid to play football, which doesn't exactly help when you're a footballer.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Depends on how you view terrible tbf. If you consider not really doing anything to be a terrible performance, then fair enough. He was so anonymous that he couldn't really be terrible. It's not that he did something wrong, but more that he didn't do anything right because...he didn't do anything. Like, I didn't even realize he was playing til midway in the second half.

But surely that's terrible. You could put any shit player out there and they could be anonymous. I'd still class a performance like the one he put in yesterday as terrible. 

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think he's still a good player for this football club, he played a big role in keeping us in the premier league for a few years, he is one of my favourite current players in the squad

Crazy post.

I'm sorry but to say he played a big role in keeping us up is a joke. As soon as he became the most senior player in the midfield we went down in our poorest season.

He was carried by Delph no question. 

A truly terrible player. Some of us have seen it since day 1. And we're equally amazed that there are still people who don't see it.

• Like 1