Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Just to compare Westwood and Gana defensively:

Gana is averaging 5 tackles, 3 interceptions per game.

Westwood is on 1.7 and 0.7

Offensively:

Westwood has 1 assist, Gana 0.

Passing is virtually the same in terms of completion but obviously Westwood is looking to create more chances.

Gana's definitely pulling his weight in terms of what his job is in the team, you might argue that Westwood hasn't quite done enough to escape criticism. I've kind of come to the conclusion that Westwood's biggest issue is that he isn't influential enough - he has patches of it and sometimes games where he makes his mark but most of the time he isn't. Definitely something to work on but a hard thing to develop/improve.

That's quite telling given that many seem to point to his tackling and interceptions as positives.

Quite telling like his assist stats were ? ( had to repost below coz I don't know how to copy them into here)

Not sure what your point is. I was basically highlighting that Westwood's tackles and interceptions aren't worth shouting about - yet they are quite often highlighted on here as positives.

As for reading the game, I never said he couldn't. He's a professional footballer. I should hope to god he can read the game.

However, I'm not sure where people are getting that he is 'great' at it?

10 assists says a hell of a lot.

Does it ?

6 seasons.

174 premiership games.

9 goals.

9 assists.

Petrov.

Telling, eh ?

Petrov didn't take set pieces and generally had a lot more to his defensive game though. 

Not sure what your point is. I was basically highlighting that Westwood's tackles and interceptions aren't worth shouting about - yet they are quite often highlighted on here as positives.

As for reading the game, I never said he couldn't. He's a professional footballer. I should hope to god he can read the game.

Honestly WT I have always thought his positioning is excellent and I don't use that word lightly. From year 1, he was always the player covering for Lowton, who could never seem to decide when to close down, when to stand up etc. bailed him out so,so many times. Watch how he makes himself available for the pass all the time. While these SHOULD be the minimum standard we expect, I agree, Its hard to argue that is the case with our players especially with an extreme example of Nzogbia (head down, never sees or plays the pass) or even Gabby.

His passing could be as pinpoint as a Beckham cross but without the awareness to see the movement ahead and around him it would be totally fruitless. He might not complete every through ball or forward pass but when we compare his ability to his midfield colleagues in his time with us from Bannan, Sylla and Holman through Delph and Cleverley he is by far and just so mind bogglingly superior to every one of them in his decision making and passing ability Its hard for some of us to comprehend how this can go unnoticed. Maybe he is just a medium sized fish in a teeny weeny pond. Maybe he is just like a stream of bat's piss. I don't know. From my point of view his footballing brain, first touch and passing are his 3 best qualities and in that order.

• Like 2

Honestly WT I have always thought his positioning is excellent and I don't use that word lightly. From year 1, he was always the player covering for Lowton, who could never seem to decide when to close down, when to stand up etc. bailed him out so,so many times. Watch how he makes himself available for the pass all the time. While these SHOULD be the minimum standard we expect, I agree, Its hard to argue that is the case with our players especially with an extreme example of Nzogbia (head down, never sees or plays the pass) or even Gabby.

His passing could be as pinpoint as a Beckham cross but without the awareness to see the movement ahead and around him it would be totally fruitless. He might not complete every through ball or forward pass but when we compare his ability to his midfield colleagues in his time with us from Bannan, Sylla and Holman through Delph and Cleverley he is by far and just so mind bogglingly superior to every one of them in his decision making and passing ability Its hard for some of us to comprehend how this can go unnoticed. Maybe he is just a medium sized fish in a teeny weeny pond. Maybe he is just like a stream of bat's piss. I don't know. From my point of view his footballing brain, first touch and passing are his 3 best qualities and in that order.

Well I don't necessarily disagree with any of that.

However, he does lack consistency with those things imo.

Also, just because he is the best at certain things in the villa team. That doesn't make him great. You've put a point across well, but it's based largely around him standing out over players who have completely underperformed.

The fact that I believe ashley westwood is one of our best players now is a worrying sign. It says more about aston villa than it does him.

That's not having a go at him, he gives his all and he has started to consistently do some good things. But we can't afford to have players of Westwood's calibre as our best players.

We will remain in the bottom half of the table at the very least unless he becomes a useful member of the squad instead of a vital part of the team.

The fact that I believe ashley westwood is one of our best players now is a worrying sign. It says more about aston villa than it does him.

Dear God, I would hate to see your comments in threads about players you don't think are good if this is you "rating" Westwood.

• Like 2

I don't even think it was a "should've scored" chance - it was a bounced-up volley and he hit the target.  If it goes in, it goes in.  If not, not exactly missing a sitter.

He did another solid job today.

• Like 1

^Just came to mention that. He also made the most sprints out of any player on the pitch according to a stat shown a few minutes later. Different role for Westwood today but he did a good job. Got into goal scoring positions too, and should have won us the game.