Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Ok mate one bad performance and Sanchez has been dropped for two games now, but I'm sure the players playing instead are warranting in given our results..... By the way your also forgetting one if my original points was Sanchez would still play but Westwood would hinder him in the middle of the park. Use the skills your players have, put Sanchez in the middle on his own and let the other three push forward. If he does that you'll find Sanchez isn't a bad player quite the opposite, just the victim of an inept manager who accepts failure as long as they keep it ticking over

:bang:

Daz

That. Is. What. Has. Happened.

Sanchez HAS played that role. That is the role he plays when he's in the team. What you want to happen HAS HAPPENED.

Westwood hasn't hindered him. The game he played terribly in was a game where Westwood was on the bench (the opposite of what you said would happen). How could he hinder him from the bench?

You're arguing against something you've invented. it's a figment of your imagination.

Nobody is saying Sanchez is a bad player. Nobody. Not me, not the manager.

All anyone is saying is that he had a bad (very bad ) performance and has been dropped for it.

Why he was out for the Hull game too? Could be any number of reasons. Could be because we actually played ok vs Chelsea. Could be that Sanchez is rested due to an unusually vigorous schedule (for him).

but it's not because Lambert will play Westwood at all costs. If this was true why woudl Lambert have dropped Westwood for the Arsenal game? Why would he have kept Sanchez in his best position when Westwood was in the team?

What you "predicted" would happen has not happened.

Edited by Stevo985

His lack of mobility, and energy is the problem.He is a tidy player , but offers nothing.He doesn't frighten the opposition, we keep hearing about his passing ability, but see little evidence of it.

Last night he, and Delph, sat too deep, there was no support for CB.Every time he got the ball he was surrounded by 2 or 3 Hull players who crowded him out, and we lost the ball.The reason why they sat so deep is because of Westwoods lack of pace, and physical presence, which means they have to sit deeper to protect the back 4.Also Westwood wants too many touches, he very rarely plays a 1st time pass, takes one or 2 touches, and slows the game down too much, it means that Sinclair, and Gil in particular get the ball too late, and have too much to do, so have to play the ball backwards.

We need to play to our strengths, which atm is very limited, but mainly CB, and Gil.So we need to build a team to accommodate these 2 players in their best positions, and for me that means playing Sanchez and Delph as holding midfielders with Gil behind CB.

Westwood is an average player at best, he wasn't the worst last night, but there is no way he should be in the team ahead of Sanchez, and i'd prefer Bacuna over him as well.

He is playing too deep, needs pushing up with a proper Dmf behind him. He has a good shot and can pick a pass so should be played where we can take advantage of this.

Nearly three years of PL football and his assist and goal record disagrees.

He has been playing defensive midfield so his record isn't too bad at all imo certainly better than Delphs who has more licence to attack. Westwood also had great stats last season for chances created and key passes. In his first season he had 7 assists.

He was bad last nite but then again who wasn't? He is too lightweight to be a Dmf and we need to open up in midfield alot more and take some chances.

Our entire midfield is awful.

Westwood - creates nothing, never scores.

Delph - creates nothing, never scores.

Cleverley - creates nothing etc, etc etc, etc.

Of course it'd be good if the forwards moved a bit more, but what's wrong with one of them taking the game by the scruff of the neck and driving forward into the box to have a chance or two themselves?  Someone like "England International" Delph perhaps, who's supposed to be an attacking-minded player?

Absolutely dreadful the lot of them.

• Like 1

Whoever we pick in midfield, the net result is always the same. Sanchez is stronger but gives the ball away more. We were awful at Arsenal without Westwood, we were awful last night with him.  You can say Arsenal are a better team but look at the game Leicester gave them.  I also think Cleverly is just a scapegoat! 

Edited by PaulC

I'll say it again.

This guy is not a premier league footballer.

If you sit in front of the back four you have to win a tackle, a header, protect the back four.

He can not- shame really because he has a nice pass.

Agreed. There are players who sit deep and aren't expected to tackle too much though. For example; Pirlo - he's lightweight, isn't really there to tackle, but keeps things ticking with his passing whether short or long. Obviously Pirlo is out of this world in comparison to Westwood but just saying. Westwood isn't good enough just yet although he's an alright player (decent tidy passing), but he needs some Championship time i reckon. 

Edited by tomh621

Easy target.

Thought he played fine.

But yeah his set pieces were crap. The floaty corners were back.

Luckily Gil seems to be first choice for set pieces now so he should be on them when he plays.

This.