Ashley Westwood

Nabby

You need a balance in midfield though lp, and for me Sanchez is the 1st name on the sheet, so its about playing/buying players to fit in around him.For me Sanchez is better playing deeper, so we need at least one attacking midfielder, a la Merse, and a more versatile,mobile, physical player alongside him.Not sure Westwood is any more than a stand in for Sanchez tbh.

We defenitley someone in the Merse mould. But if we are going to stick with this new possession football philosophy, you need someone in there like Westwood who can keep and recycle possession efficiently.

• Like 3

We've won none of the five league games without him, scoring only once. I know we were hardly prolific with him in the team but that's pretty damning.

We won the last two league games with him in the team, but before that we were winless in 8 with him playing, so I don't think there's anything meaningful to be drawn from the stats.  He's played lots over the last two and a bit years, and we've been awful for most of it.  Not all his fault of course, but I don't think you can say he's some sort of major positive influence on results.

• Like 3

First PL game for over a month though. Give him chance.

Give him chance to do what? Todays performance was what he always does.

It wasn't like he was poor and off the pace today.  He was ok and probably our best midfield player but he just doesn't make much difference to the team,

And to be fair that could probably be said for nearly every player at the moment.

Personally I'd play Westwood and Sanchez in a 4-2-3-1 and have 4 attacking players in front of them. 

I'd do the same but instead of our "wingers" being too far forward and doing **** all, all game, I'd play a 4-4-1-1 or 4-4-2. 

We need big Libor Kozak back

You've got to think one of him or Cleverley will miss out v Liverpool as Delph will start if he's still here.

4 central midfielders v Liverpool would be a McLeish esque selection and the fans would be on Lambert from the first minute.

-------Westwood----Sanchez--------

------------------Delph---------------

-----n'zogbia-------------bacuna

-----------------benteke-------

Cleverly and Agbonlahor should be out of the squad based on their performances of late. Lambert will start them though.