Joe Bennett

Si.

I don't want to move Baker from the centre. He's becoming a good partner for Vlaar. I'm not a fan of disrupting 2 positions to solve 1 problem. We have Clark, Lichaj and Stevens (who has never really put a foot wrong either ...) who can play left back so I'd rather choose one of those and leave Nathan alone.

TBH I want Lichaj in. Bennett should have been sent off at the weekend and he cost us the goal too. He almost single-handedly jeopardised our result. He has always been more effective going forward but at this stage of the season we (I) need a more solid defender there. I don't care how effective my left back is at going forward at this point. I don't know whether he will ever be good enough, but right now he isn't and that's all that matters in May.

The thing is that Lichaj was worse when he played lb. He's a decent back up for rb, but as a lb he's abysmal, unfortunately. He was just lost and didn't know where to go or turn. I'd rather put Baker there if we're not playing Bennett. If Clark is fit again, that is. If he is I think Lambert will drop Bennett.

Stevens seems to be the forgotten man. Honest question here. What has he done to fall seemingly completely out of the picture?

Stevens seems to be the forgotten man. Honest question here. What has he done to fall seemingly completely out of the picture?

I think it might be because he is an out and out defender - he doesn't really offer much going forward and that seems to be the main attribute that lambert wants as we play on the counter attack.

I agree he hasn't put a foot wrong when called upon, and thought he was great vs Man u

Edited by villan_007

Wasn't he at fault for at least one of their goals? Not saying that should keep him out of the team solely, just questioning the "hasn't put a foot wrong" statement. I don't think Stevens has been that good, nor do I think he's been very bad either. But I guess that he doesn't show enough quality during the training sessions. I don't think Lambert keeps him outside of the squad just because he wasn't his signing. He's not stupid.

Well it appears that Lambert picks his team based on the team we are facing.  Bennett didnt start against Chelsea at Stamford bridge so hopefully this is a good sign for this Saturday.  Dont know who will play their though.  He wont break up Vlaar and Baker anyway when they seem to be building a good rapour together.

I think it might be because he is an out and out defender - he doesn't really offer much going forward and that seems to be the main attribute that lambert wants as we play on the counter attack.

I agree he hasn't put a foot wrong when called upon, and thought he was great vs Man u

I'd take that right now. Gabby is doing more than enough going forward from the lefthand side and his success recently has nothing to do with having JB sitting behind him. If I could have a fullback that is more competent at defending than he is at going forward at this point in time then I'd be a whole lot more comfortable watching our games :)

Our game is based on fullbacks getting forward though which is why Lowton and Bennett crucial to our plans. Baker is doing a good job as a central defender so don't fix what isn't broke.

Our game is based on fullbacks getting forward though which is why Lowton and Bennett crucial to our plans. Baker is doing a good job as a central defender so don't fix what isn't broke.

Your right in one thing, Bennett could have been crucial to our major plan.........  staying up that is.

If one of your fullbacks is consistently the reason for you conceding goals then I'd suggest it is broken. I don't want Baker moved. I do want the leftback position 'fixed'. Our only hope against Chelsea is that we're the least important of their fixtures, or the easiest opponent, so they'll use their (marginally) lesser lights in midfield against us. So only expect Oscar and Moses. Hopefully we'll see Benayoun too.

If Lambert were to drop Bennett then I would rather Stevens came in, then Lichaj, then Baker to LB with Lichaj at CB, then Baker to LB with Herd at CB, then Delph to LB, then and only then should Clark be considered at LB.

Against Chelsea it may well be a better option to have a more defensive minded LB but against Wigan I think Bennett should play.

I have been very critical of Bennett as have most but as it stands I still think he is currently our best option - that said I would like Lambert to bring in a more experienced FB as security.

He needs replacing in the summer. He wont learn and he does exactly the same things wrong for us as he did at boro. Rash in the challenge, no positional sense, constantly gets in the wrong side side of people and he is a complete lightweight. He isnt really that great going forwards either. Lowton on the other side shows promise even though he can be a bit iffy at defending he is 10 times better than bennett.

bennett always looked shite at the riverside when I watched him play too and nothing has changed. He is a bad accident waiting to happen

He needs replacing in the summer.

As critical as I am of him, I wouldn't go that far. I'm not writing him off. I'm just saying that in our current predicament we need to shore up (no pun intended) an obvious weak point with a better defensive option. Bennett needs to bulk up in the summer. He does have attributes going forward. He'll benefit from some good coaching over the summer and he might be good enough next season. Just not now.

I'd disagree with the 'not good going forward', he's great on the ball it's just someone said to me one time watch his delivery. I have been watching his crosses since and every time they're under hit or over hit. He can't put a good ball in and he's very dodgey at the back. Bring Enda in for a change...

The penalty against Southampton? I know it was a dive but there was some horror defending before it.

EDIT: To remain on topic... I believe Bennett deserves one more season. He clearly has some footballing ability (his assist against Ipswich deserves a mention).  But his defending is currently a liability. It's improved marginally since Zavon Hines tore him to shreds but I still don't think I've seen him block a cross.

Edited by Cizzler

The penalty against Southampton? I know it was a dive but there was some horror defending before it.

Why would that keep him out of the team when Bennett has been giving proper penalties away all season and horror defending as well.  Could it be because Bennett was a Lambert signing and Stevens wasn't because IMO Stevens wasnt that bad.

Why would that keep him out of the team when Bennett has been giving proper penalties away all season and horror defending as well.

... iiiis the right answer :)

Â