Joe Bennett

Si.

Felt for him yesterday, he could have sunk into the ground after his mistake, he never. He grew into the game as it went on and for most of the second half I forgot he was on, which is good from where he started.

Not sure hes our long term left back but he did a job and showed great strength of character, well done Joe

He behaved like any kid thrown into his first premiership season of football would do and make mistakes

Still needs time

Kid?? He is 23 and cost 3million.  He fecked up for the first goal Royally and was shocking for their second.  He single handly nearly got Villa relegated today with his feck ups, not to mention all other games he has played. 

He is 22 and won't be 23 till the end of this month. Before he joined us he had played I believe one top flight game. He lacks experience at this level its as simple as that and the fact we paid 3 mill for him doesn't change that and is irrelevant. As I have said previously in relation to a number of our players I believe he will be stronger for the experience he will have gained this season and expect him to hit the ground running come the start of next season.

Edited by markavfc40

It was as much his mistake as it was Bannan's the way I see it. It's not like the pass was horribly misplaced, Bannan just misjudged it and was caught on his heels.

It was a bad pass as Weimann hadn't made a run to give him a good option, Bannan and Westwood both hesitated as it looked like they assumed the other would get it and they scored. 4 players I'd say that can be culpable in some way and he picked himself up well after it and got an assist. I think there's some potential here. 

It was as much his mistake as it was Bannan's the way I see it. It's not like the pass was horribly misplaced, Bannan just misjudged it and was caught on his heels.

It was a bad pass as Weimann hadn't made a run to give him a good option, Bannan and Westwood both hesitated as it looked like they assumed the other would get it and they scored. 4 players I'd say that can be culpable in some way and he picked himself up well after it and got an assist. I think there's some potential here. 

I agree, he has his moments where he looks poor but i think he will come on in a more stable team.

Pass was poor, Bannan & Westwoods hesitation to each other was as poor but the amount of abuse Bennett got was pathetic. Good for the lad not to let his head go down and like Baker last week his performance improved and one in the eye for the vocal morons, The two touches in the build up to the goal was as nice as Andi's finish.

• Like 2

He behaved like any kid thrown into his first premiership season of football would do and make mistakes

Still needs time

Kid?? He is 23 and cost 3million.  He fecked up for the first goal Royally and was shocking for their second.  He single handly nearly got Villa relegated today with his feck ups, not to mention all other games he has played. 

He is 22 and won't be 23 till the end of this month. Before he joined us he had played I believe one top flight game. He lacks experience at this level its as simple as that and the fact we paid 3 mill for him doesn't change that and is irrelevant. As I have said previously in relation to a number of our players I believe he will be stronger for the experience he will have gained this season and expect him to hit the ground running come the start of next season.

okay if you want to be padantic about it 22 years 346 days.  And 3 million is not irrelevant.  He was our second biggest signing in the summer.  Vlaar cost less!  Bentekke lacked experience and came from the Belguim league which i would say is an even lower standard than the championship.  The only way Bennett will become stronger is if he puts on about 2 stone.  Then he might turn into a player.

If you like, compare him to Lowton, who came in for around 2.5 million and is the same age. Only difference is Lowton came from a LOWER league club than he did and looks half like a player!

Well Bannan was telling him to play it back to Clark, it was the safe option and I guess that's why both Bannan and Westwood were not expecting it.

It was just a general error. You can guarantee next time Bennett is in that situation he will pass it back to Clark.  

Well Bannan was telling him to play it back to Clark, it was the safe option and I guess that's why both Bannan and Westwood were not expecting it.

It was just a general error. You can guarantee next time Bennett is in that situation he will pass it back to Clark.  

That mistake could happen to anyone, but its allot more than that.  He has been shocking in every game he played in.  Needs to put on some weight if he wants to make it at this level.

Watching the highlights again Bennett not only gives the ball away but following the save from Guzan he is half a step ahead of Jenas in a good position to sweep the ball away and yet Jenas beats him to the rebound. 

He also loses what is arguably a 50-50 with Townsend in the immediate build-up to their second goal. 

I certainly don't condone the shouting at him during the game although I admit I groaned a bit. Bennett is just not a reliable enough defender to play in defence for us right now. I can only think it's stubbornness from Lambert that he gets into the match day squad ahead of a guy like Lichaj who certainly isn't a pretty footballer but can defend. 

Edited by KennyPowers

Â