General Conspiracy Theory Dump Store

CI

Anybody remember this? I do.

Mysterious deaths, freedom of information, Marconi and the Ministry of Defence

By Ted Ritter on November 29, 2006 9:40 AM

Under the Freedom of Information [FOI] Act publicly-funded organisations have 20 working days to answer or notify the applicant if they need more time to answer. Some organisations with well managed records answer more quickly than others but none has been quite as slow as the Ministry of Defence. Its first response to my FOI request came more than six months later.

And there was no acknowledgment of my application, although this is a legal requirement.

I had asked about the mysterious deaths of computer programmers and scientists, some working for Marconi, some for other defence contractors, and others for the MoD and the government communications headquarters GCHQ.

The 25 deaths in the 1970s and 1980s led to countless articles in many countries around the world, including France, Italy, Germany, Poland, and Australia. Separate TV documentaries were made by crews in the UK, US, Canada and Australia. The MoD’s press officers received countless calls from journalists about the deaths; and Lord Weinstock, the then managing director of GEC, one of the government's biggest defence contractors and at that time Marconi's parent company, set up an inquiry.

It was carried out by Brian Worth, former Deputy Assistant Commissioner at New Scotland Yard. He concluded that "on the evidence available that the suicide verdicts reached were credible on their own facts, and in the four cases where open verdicts were returned the probability is that each victim took his own life".

One of the Marconi computer programmers, from London, had gone to Bristol where he tied his neck to a tree and apparently drove off in his car. Less than three months earlier another Marconi programmer from London had travelled by car to Bristol where he apparently jumped off the Clifton Suspension Bridge. Police stopped the cremation of his body as the service was taking place, to investigate further.

Letters to the coroner from the dead man's friends were unanimous in their scepticism that the programmeer had committed suicide. Police found a tiny puncture mark on the man's left buttock.

The local coroner alluded to a possible "James Bond" link. He said: "As James Bond would say, 'this is past coincidence,' and I will not be completing the inquest today until I know how two men with no connection with Bristol came to meet the same end here." He did not discover why.

The two dead programmers had been working on highly sensitive projects for the government.

If the MoD had been so swamped with information that it could not answer my FOI request quickly, this would have explained its late reply. In fact the poor official who spoke to me had spent months looking for material and found nothing at all. Not one piece of paper. The official reply was that the MoD has no recorded information on any of the cases I had mentioned. So much for the ministry's record-keeping.

It was as if the deaths had never happened.

There's no conspiracy about Dr David Kelly. It's pretty bleedin' obvious that it was a covered up murder. They didn't even bother trying to cover up half of the evidence that didn't fit with the coroners first report.

Kelly committed suicide , nutjob theories aside there isn't any evidence even remotely close to suggesting otherwise

The two dead programmers had been working on highly sensitive projects for the government.

As was a certain individual found locked in a holdall in the bathroom of his London flat in the not too distant past, allegedly. Unsurprisingly the smears about his proclivities in the bedroom were soon trailed by 'insiders' and appeared as front page news - despite friends and family insisting it was all chod.

Big boys games, big boys rules.

There's no conspiracy about Dr David Kelly. It's pretty bleedin' obvious that it was a covered up murder. They didn't even bother trying to cover up half of the evidence that didn't fit with the coroners first report.

Kelly committed suicide , nutjob theories aside there isn't any evidence even remotely close to suggesting otherwise

"These aren't the Droids you're looking for, move along...."

It will be interesting to see if the 4 yr old comes up with anything tangible.

Would not the older sister be a better bet for info? :?

From what I've read she's got major head trauma and has gone into a coma.

At least the 4 year old was talking when found.

We live in a country where a coroner deemed a bloke being locked inside a holdall from the outside is not unlawful killing...

Even after escapology experts said it was nigh impossible for him to have locked himself in from the outside "even houdini would have struggled" such a verdict is released

Shady shady goings on that are being covered up on a daily basis and as long as the sheeps keep believing the information thats being fed to them the longer it will continue

"These aren't the Droids you're looking for, move along...."

never had you down as a nutjob Jon :-)

he was exposed as lying to the foreign affairs comittee about contact with Susan Watts

29 co-proxomyl and a few slashes later it was all over

as I said there is zero evidence to suggest otherwise .... unless you think people broke into his house , stole a supply of his wifes tablets , went to his shed picked up his pruning tools , kidnapped him , marched him out to the woods without being seen whilst releasing him for a while ( he was seen alone by a friend on his way to the woods where he died ) and then re-kidnapped him ... and then force 29 tablets down his throat and make him cut his own wrist ... without leaving a trace of forensic evidence

simples

In regards to the bloke shot in France just read somewhere that he was under special branch protection during the gulf war

Satellite engineer my arse

Im sure Casey Ryback is just a cook and Douglas Quaid is a lowly construction worker as well

Was he even a scientist?

He had an engineering background from all the reports I've seen. Moved to London in the 70s as a child with his father, went to high school in Pimlico then started working as an engineer and was a director at a design company and with an aerial photography company.

Where does the nuclear scientist part come into it?

I'd call him a scientist. The nuclear scientist bit comes from a mention of him working on Iraq's nuclear programme, but since he reportedly left Iraq in the 70s and was aged 50 when killed, that doesn't seem possible.

Possibly it's a confusion around him being an engineer working for EADS, a firm involved in making nuclear weapons as well as cluster bombs, and currently facing criminal investigation for bribery involving the Saudis and the Cayman Islands.

His other employer, Surrey Satellite Services, owned by EADS, makes spy satellites.

I don't like conspiracy theories, as a general rule. I've glanced through the posts here and can't help feeling it's all reaching a bit, wanting it to be more than it will turn out to be.

To say 'it's very likely to be an Agent hit' is absurd imo.

(:crylaugh: at the bold btw, sorry)

Â