Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

I may be tempting fate but I think we need a bit of perspective. We seem to be building Wigan up into some sort of unstoppable force and yet they have only won one of their last six Premiership matches! I'm still nervous, but given that Arsenal and Villa (imo) are both better teams than Wigan I'm sure we will survive. 

If only football worked like that then Man city would be FA cup winners

Man City are a far different proposition to Arsenal. Did you watch them? They didn't look interested.

But that isn't what was said.

The inference was that both us and Arsenal are better teams than Wigan so we should be oK.  My point was that football doesn't work like that as last Saturday at Wembley proved.

You just cant rely on us being a better team so that's good enough

Wigan won at the Emirates last season so they can do it again.

Let's hope Arsenal bring their A game!

Wigan won at the Emirates last season so they can do it again.

Let's hope Arsenal bring their A game!

Yes but they hadn't played an FA Cup final 3 days before hand. Last season's game was ridiculous Wigan were 2-0 up in about 20 mins. We should worry if that happens again.

Edited by PaulC

If by some outside, left-field, chance, Maloney played a significant role in helping to relegate us, my misery would be complete. Wasn't he supposed to be so homesick he couldn't play in England?

yep that's the reason given at the time.  I was amazed to see him leave Scotland again

we have had 37 games ,  you cannot just pick and chose one or the other and say if only

Exactly! It's been our poor defending all season that has put us in this position not individual games or performances! Lambert should have sorted it out in the summer or even January but instead has chosen to gamble with our safety.

Seems to me from things Lambert said that he was expecting Dunne to get back to fitness and was a bit knocked back when the useless fat lump kept coming in with a new sick note.

Yes but he gambled and lost IMO. Remember the club also sold Collins and released Cuellar both of whom were experienced Premier League defenders, keeping Cuellar would have made sense in my eyes. To rely on a player who has had long term fitness issues is incompetent as I see it and something that has badly misfired. He also must have seen that in January even loaning a  defender rather than Dawkins was the thing to do?

Cuellar was woeful against us. I think we're letting our like of the player cloud our judgement.

Yes I agree. I don't think that Cuellar is God or Laursen like but he would have given some experience to a side that had a back 4 of Lowton, Clark, Baker and Bennett plus Vlaar may not have had all the pressure of being the senior player in defence during his first year in this league?

However pounds and pennies seem to over ride football commonsense at VP ATM. 

But saying that Wigan is a complete shit-hole so it probably feels more like home for him.

Beat me to it! I can understand anyone wanting to leave Glasgow but not for Wigan!

we have had 37 games ,  you cannot just pick and chose one or the other and say if only

Exactly! It's been our poor defending all season that has put us in this position not individual games or performances! Lambert should have sorted it out in the summer or even January but instead has chosen to gamble with our safety.

Seems to me from things Lambert said that he was expecting Dunne to get back to fitness and was a bit knocked back when the useless fat lump kept coming in with a new sick note.

Yes but he gambled and lost IMO. Remember the club also sold Collins and released Cuellar both of whom were experienced Premier League defenders, keeping Cuellar would have made sense in my eyes. To rely on a player who has had long term fitness issues is incompetent as I see it and something that has badly misfired. He also must have seen that in January even loaning a  defender rather than Dawkins was the thing to do?

Can't believe some still don't get it. We never had a chance of keeping either because we wouldn't pay their wages. He also said on several occassions that he had defenders lined up in jan but the club also wouldn't pay their wages.

I may be tempting fate but I think we need a bit of perspective. We seem to be building Wigan up into some sort of unstoppable force and yet they have only won one of their last six Premiership matches! I'm still nervous, but given that Arsenal and Villa (imo) are both better teams than Wigan I'm sure we will survive. 

Man City are a far different proposition to Arsenal. Did you watch them? They didn't look interested.

The inference was that both us and Arsenal are better teams than Wigan so we should be oK.  My point was that football doesn't work like that as last Saturday at Wembley proved.

Not discounting want your saying Richard, there Is no such thing as a dead cert, but simply giving a crap always helps and Man City simply wasn't at the races at Wembley. 

What I would say, as I have before Is that given how the league has panned out, if we could hand pick the fixtures of our rivals it would be Arsenal and Spurs. Fingers crossed that form and class shows through.

Wigan's an ace town, had the time of my life when I lived there.  It's a decent sized town but is within a few minutes of some lovely countryside, and it's handily placed between Manchester and Liverpool.  There's nowhere in Wigan that's as bad as the worst parts of Glasgow or Brum, that's for sure.

Not discounting want your saying Richard, there Is no such thing as a dead cert, but simply giving a crap always helps and Man City simply wasn't at the races at Wembley. 

What I would say, as I have before Is that given how the league has panned out, if we could hand pick the fixtures of our rivals it would be Arsenal and Spurs. Fingers crossed that form and class shows through.

good point, they are pretty much the only 2 teams at the top who have to get results now.

Wigan's an ace town, had the time of my life when I lived there.  It's a decent sized town but is within a few minutes of some lovely countryside, and it's handily placed between Manchester and Liverpool.  There's nowhere in Wigan that's as bad as the worst parts of Glasgow or Brum, that's for sure.

and you can get good pies and barm cakes.

But saying that Wigan is a complete shit-hole so it probably feels more like home for him.

Do you think they deep-fry Mars Bars there so that makes him feel at home?

(Sorry, not serious - Risso is dead right about Wigan. Nice town but not really a footballing town.)

Can't believe some still don't get it. We never had a chance of keeping either because we wouldn't pay their wages. He also said on several occassions that he had defenders lined up in jan but the club also wouldn't pay their wages.

Oh I do get it! In Lerner's opinion recouping his investment is more important than us having a competitive side. It was a choice made by Lerner over the withholding of money for wages. Another defender's wages would not have bankrupt the club but may (and that's a big if) have helped the side defend more competently and not concede at least 1 goal for the last 21 games in a row? I suggested Cuellar because he was already here, settled in the area and wanted to stay so it seemed for less money than he was on previously?

However the mighty dollar rules at VP and Lerner will try and get all he can back into his trust fund.

I understand what you're saying Richard, but my point was more about Wigan's recent league form which is very poor. I'm not saying they can't survive, just that the probability is that their available players are not good enough to beat both Arsenal and Villa over the next few days. 

and you can get good pies and barm cakes.

barm cakes for barm pots