Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Can't predict tonight obviously, but I am worried. My local hockey team (that I love dearly) struggled a lot over the season. They scraped into the play-off by the skin of their teeth, but then something amazing happened. They got stuck in a bubble and played some of the best hockey I've seen in this city during my lifetime. End result, we gained promotion to the top flight for the first time in over 30 years. 

Bit of a pointless anecdote I suppose, but I see some of the same signs in Wigan currently. They've pulled some relegation avoiding magic before, and the Cup win is perfect material for getting into that bubble and continue the push for survival. I think the stage will be set for a massive final day of the season. 

We shouldn't be here - we were 1-0 up against chelsea with 30 to play. We only have ourselves to blame. In Jan I was relaxed about relegation - because we obviously weren't good enough. Then the litlle run of results, made me hopeful for future - if only we could stay up.

Relaxed again now - because I really we will struggle again, should we scrape up this season.

You've said this 3 times now. And the answer is the same every time. Chelsea, asin the multi million spending, Champions of Europe? And you're annoyed we couldn't hold on to a lead?

Im annoyed whenever we loose a lead - I think most members of this forum are ?

Didn't we beat those multi millionaires with perhaps a lesser squad last season ?

Didn't southampton beat them just a few weeks back.

1-0 up against 10 - 30 to go - it was there for the taking.  If wigan are 1-0 up tonight against a 10 man arsenal, Id fancy them to make a better fist of it - than we did on saturday.

Edited by smetrov

Also we had a player sent off too.

If we go down it won't be because we couldn't hold onto a lead against Chelsea - it will be because we lost 3-0 to Wigan at home back in December.

I would actually point to Liverpool and Fulham at Home - both games we had the chance to pull clear - both times we blew it.

Whatever - it shouldn't be down to Arsenal V Wigan, it is our failure over the season that will relegate us.

personally, i would never bet against the villa.... if i were to come up with an analogy of how i see it, it would be like the girlfriend training for her first marathon, and me betting against her finishing it in her targeted time...

would it be prudent to soften the blow if she failed? perhaps...

would she make the distinction between supporting her and making bets? not in a million years...

would i be sleeping on the couch for a month, having been kicked in the nuts for betting against her? almost certainly...

as far as us staying up - i hope it resolves itself this evening, but even if it doesn't... i suspect benty will give us a nice farewell present with a couple of goals on sunday to immortalize him in the eyes of the fans....

and i will be watching this evening at 3am, a nervous wreck....

Edited by rodigan
  • Like 1

rodigan, you bet against her just in case, don't tell her, and then give her some nice surprises after she's failed to cheer her up!

on the topic in hand, my brain is in a pretty short loop of returning to think about tonights game, and like han solo, i have a bad feeling about this.

Arsenal are motivated, injury-free and rested. Wigan are crap, tired and won a cup final three days ago. They will come back down to earth and lose by a few goals. The nicest thing is that we only need a draw, and Arsenal will do that or win 90% of the time.

Arsenal are motivated, injury-free and rested. Wigan are crap, tired and won a cup final three days ago. They will come back down to earth and lose by a few goals. The nicest thing is that we only need a draw, and Arsenal will do that or win 90% of the time.

So. A Wigan win it is then :)

Wigan will win tonight it's all there is to it

That confident, huh? They're 8\1, you should put your life savings on it if you're that certain.

Have 60 on Wigan win would never bet against Aston villa ever even if they were 1 million to one and likely to go down just couldn't do it. I predict a lot of anxiety in here by ten o clock tonight. By the way gladly lose 60 on it I'd lose 600 to see villa stay up and more

Right less than 24 hours to go. Either there will be some very relaxed and happy villa fans afterwards or QVC will be getting record viewing figures in its graveyard slot in Birmingham.We just have to have faith that Arsenal will show their class and avoid defeat. They really need a win so I expect goals. Hopefully a lot of Arsenal ones.

That would be the preferred scenario and would make for relaxing viewing.

If Arsenal take the lead, I expect them to go for more goals. This is a must-win and they will want to make sure it's won before the closing stages. Also, they still have a chance of getting third and an automatic place in the Champions League, and goals could be important for that. If Chelsea draw their last game at home to Everton (which would quite a typical result for Everton), Arsenal would need to win their last two games and improve their goal difference by 5. So a win by 4 goals against Wigan would give them the maximum chance of finishing third.

If we go down it won't be because we couldn't hold onto a lead against Chelsea - it will be because we lost 3-0 to Wigan at home back in December.

Mmmm, I think we can point to any number of games that could be 'blamed' on us resulting in relegation. My personal one, is being cheated by Ricky Lambert at home to Southampton. That was the match for me where my heart was in my mouth, incensed and paranoid.

If we go down, it will be because we didn't get the result we needed at Wigan - where we always (pretty much) win.

So. A Wigan win it is then :)

Hell no! I predict an Arsenal-goal within 15 minutes, and if they stay clear of red cards I guess the game will be comfortable for us as well....

Can not wait till tonight, if anything just to bring some positivity back to this forum and to allow us all to look forward. Really peed off with hearing us linked with relegation,

i don't think anyone is happy about being linked with relegation, but have you seen the table?

Arsenal don't need to win. We stay up if they don't lose.

The only way I can imagine Arsenal losing is if they have a player sent off, and penalty awarded against them, in the opening period of the match.

They need to be very careful the referee doesn't, you know, even things up a bit. 

Wigan play better against 10 men

Great insight. This is unusual.

Arsenal don't need to win. We stay up if they don't lose.

The only way I can imagine Arsenal losing is if they have a player sent off, and penalty awarded against them, in the opening period of the match.

They need to be very careful the referee doesn't, you know, even things up a bit. 

Wigan play better against 10 men

Great insight. This is unusual.

On the other hand, they can be rather poor and ineffective when they only have 9 men themselves. I noticed this in a game at Old Trafford a while ago.

• Like 1

I would actually point to Liverpool and Fulham at Home - both games we had the chance to pull clear - both times we blew it.

Whatever - it shouldn't be down to Arsenal V Wigan, it is our failure over the season that will relegate us.

Does it really matter that much in the grand scheme of things if we throw a lead away or simply don't get ourselves back into the game at all? 0 points is 0 points.

Given the position we're in though with regards to Wigan the most important game was undoubtedly that 3-0 loss to them. If we had drawn that game 0-0 Wigan would be a further 3 points behind us and we'd have further 6 goals advantage over them. I know it's much more dramatic to think that we "touched safety" against Chelsea and then threw it all away but the fact is that Wigan result harmed us so much more than losing to Chelsea and Liverpool or not beating Fulham.

Edited by Mantis

It's my long-awaited return to club running tonight, so I'll be out while it's happening. Should be back in the bar before the end of the match though.

Does it really matter that much in the grand scheme of things if we throw a lead away or simply don't get ourselves back into the game at all? 0 points is 0 points.

Given the position we're in though with regards to Wigan the most important game was undoubtedly that 3-0 loss to them. If we had drawn that game 0-0 Wigan would be a further 3 points behind us and we'd have further 6 goals advantage over them. I know it's much more dramatic to think that we "touched safety" against Chelsea and then threw it all away but the fact is that Wigan result harmed us so much more than losing to Chelsea and Liverpool or not beating Fulham.

Totally agree, it was that nightmare at XMAS that killed us. If we had lost by 2-0 each game, our GD would be -13.