Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Well we are 15th in the table after 6 games, with only 1 win against these teams:

Home: Everton (L), Swansea (W), West Bromwich (D)

Away: West Ham (L), Newcastle (D), Southampton (L)

All in all if a team like Man Utd or Chelsea had this start to the season their fans would describe it as pretty fair (As far as opponents goes). An extremely good start for us would have seen us pick up 7 points at home and 5 points away from these game, but we only have 5 and that is pretty poor.

From the next games we have:

Tottenham (A)

Fulham (A)

Norwich (H)

Sunderland (A)

Man Utd (H)

Man City (A)

Arsenal (H)

These games can be described as hell if you ask any Villa-fan or even a fan of any team. The only game we will be favourites in are at home to Norwich, and we will be (heavy) candidates for a loss in all the others. Tottenham away is very difficult and so is Fulham who have three victories thus far and two at home scoring 9 goals. Sunderland away is tough as well and all the others are against top teams who will beat us even on a half-decent day.

All in all anything above the relegation-zone come late November when we meet Reading at home is a huge success in my eyes, but then we have a few games before we have Liverpool and Chelsea on the trot before Christmas. I know, every team has to meet the best teams twice each season - but our poor start combined with us meeting all the best teams within a month or two (when we should hit better form) is very worrying. I said it at the start of the season, and my view has only been strengthened as our team contiunes to struggle, we are going to struggle hard with relegation this season. The thing is, if we are caught in 18th - 20th when New Year arrives we will have that ghost around us all the way until May when it is all decided. We continue to score few like last season and we have let in a few too many for my liking all oppositional teams considered. I find encouragement in the draw to Newcastle away - and we did our job at home to Swansea like we had to, but all the other games have been under par. We created something at the end against WBA, but that was not Tottenham or Everton, it was a team we should always be favourites against and a team that we should create lots of chances against.

Dreading the next few weeks, let us hope we can sneak a surprise win against Fulham and Sunderland, as well as beating Norwich at home. In all the other games I would take a draw if offered to me right now, and hopefully we can catch a few.

So all in all, relegaton, very much a topic that should be treated with the utmost respect.

Well we are 15th in the table after 6 games, with only 1 win against these teams:

All in all if a team like Man Utd or Chelsea had this start to the season their fans would describe it as pretty fair (As far as opponents goes). An extremely good start for us would have seen us pick up 7 points at home and 5 points away from these game, but we only have 5 and that is pretty poor.

Tottenham (A)

Fulham (A)

Norwich (H)

Sunderland (A)

Man Utd (H)

Man City (A)

Arsenal (H)

These games can be described as hell if you ask any Villa-fan or even a fan of any team. The only game we will be favourites in are at home to Norwich, and we will be (heavy) candidates for a loss in all the others. Tottenham away is very difficult and so is Fulham who have three victories thus far and two at home scoring 9 goals. Sunderland away is tough as well and all the others are against top teams who will beat us even on a half-decent day.

All in all anything above the relegation-zone come late November when we meet Reading at home is a huge success in my eyes, but then we have a few games before we have Liverpool and Chelsea on the trot before Christmas. I know, every team has to meet the best teams twice each season - but our poor start combined with us meeting all the best teams within a month or two (when we should hit better form) is very worrying. I said it at the start of the season, and my view has only been strengthened as our team contiunes to struggle, we are going to struggle hard with relegation this season. The thing is, if we are caught in 18th - 20th when New Year arrives we will have that ghost around us all the way until May when it is all decided. We continue to score few like last season and we have let in a few too many for my liking all oppositional teams considered. I find encouragement in the draw to Newcastle away - and we did our job at home to Swansea like we had to, but all the other games have been under par. We created something at the end against WBA, but that was not Tottenham or Everton, it was a team we should always be favourites against and a team that we should create lots of chances against.

Dreading the next few weeks, let us hope we can sneak a surprise win against Fulham and Sunderland, as well as beating Norwich at home. In all the other games I would take a draw if offered to me right now, and hopefully we can catch a few.

So all in all, relegaton, very much a topic that should be treated with the utmost respect.

Good post. We are not out of it yet by any stretch.

You are rather pessimistic though. We are continually improving and have just beaten Manchester City away (albeit with a bit of luck) in the cup so it isn't ridiculous to suggest that we may pick up points at home to Arsenal/United - neither of whom have been totally convincing away from home this season and both of whom we have taken points off in recent seasons.

I expect us to get about seven or eight points during the period which wouldn't put us in a terrible position. We have a talented, new-age manager and a much greater level of depth (and probably quality) and organisation in our squad this season.

We need to collectively hold our nerve as we navigate our way through 2 difficult months of tough games and players bedding down. By late December I think we will start to see the benefits of Lamberts work.

said it before, but i dont think it matters who we play tbh. we'll beat our opponents on one day, and be hammered on the other, regardless of whether its someone like city, or someone like southampton. of our next 7 games, we could get 14 points, we could get 4, or we could get somewhere in between. but id be fairly sure that we'll beat one of the supposed bigger teams, and get hammered by one of the supposed smaller ones. that's going to be how it is this year. i genuinely wouldn't be surprised if we beat spurs, drew with fulham, were murdered by norwich, beat sunderland, got the usual spanking from united, and then beat one of city or arsenal, losing the other. we're completely unpredictable for the next few months

said it before, but i dont think it matters who we play tbh. we'll beat our opponents on one day, and be hammered on the other, regardless of whether its someone like city, or someone like southampton. of our next 7 games, we could get 14 points, we could get 4, or we could get somewhere in between. but id be fairly sure that we'll beat one of the supposed bigger teams, and get hammered by one of the supposed smaller ones. that's going to be how it is this year. i genuinely wouldn't be surprised if we beat spurs, drew with fulham, were murdered by norwich, beat sunderland, got the usual spanking from united, and then beat one of city or arsenal, losing the other. we're completely unpredictable for the next few months

Hopefully, but we all have to see that it has not been up and down, as in good then bad. We have been bad then regular, then awful again. The Man City-game was great, but it was only the Capital One Cup and everyone knows anything can happen in the cups. League 2 teams can beat Premier League-sides and it is seen every year. Back to the point, we have 1 victory in 6 games against pretty mediocre opponents overall. We are now going up against the top sides of the table, so why are suddenly going to get 3 victories out of 7-8 games? Highly unlikely, and given the start we have had a single win is the most we will get and then a lot of losses. I know being a fan is all about being overly optimistic, but I guess it is room for a slightly more objective view ;) I of course hope for a win every game, but I said before the season that we were in need of a good start or we could very well be in the relegation zone at Christmas and that premonition is highly alive I think.

Tottenham (A)

Fulham (A)

Norwich (H)

Sunderland (A)

Man Utd (H)

Man City (A)

Arsenal (H)

From what I have seen from villa this season anything more than 4 points from these games is a bonus.

As we have only taken 5 from the teams we have played so far I think anything more than 4 will be a miracle. The Man City game seems to have fooled people into thinking we are better than we are and has glossed over what is an awful start to the premier league season.

It is in fact the worst start we have ever had in the Premier League. But hey, we all knew Lambert would need time to settle things - especially as he has chosen to go for youth from the lower leagues to fill those vitals holes in the squad. However, at the end of the day, that approach is only admirable if we stay up and do a decent show. Thus far we have been very poor and if we stay 15th or in worst case relegation, well this approach has been a disaster and he will more than likely get fired. It is not like Lambert is untouchable, he is lightyears away from being a proven Premier League-manager in my eyes and his first season at Norwich was just one season with a promoted team. I really like the guy, and I like his values, but as a cynic and an analyst, it only takes one bad season to ruin a whole career. The huge problem for Lambert is the level of the Premier League this time around, which is without a doubt the highest we have ever seen. Not only amongst the best teams, but also the midtable sides and the ones challenging under. QPR just signed Julio Cesar and Esteban Granero for god's sake, which was just highly unlikely a few years ago. Our approach as said is admirable just like Arsenal's, but I just hope that we don't stand there at the end of the season with everything lost except our integrity.

As the positive attitude continues on VT! :|

I'll change the tone! I genuinely don't think we'll be relegated. I have some blind optimism from somewhere. We just don't feel like a team that is going down in my opinion

It's strange times indeed. On one hand I feel positive on the other when I think about it too much I wonder if i am kidding myself. There is a feeling of renewal about Villa; after two terrible years we have a more positive manager, but our squad in parts looks very weak. My hope is that our totally new defence will strengthen as the individuals get to know each other and "gel". I am most optimistic about the attack as I feel that Bent, Benteke, Weimann and Gabby will get the goals if they get the service from midfield.

However it is midfield that I most concerned about. With the exception of Holman we are really lacking class. I said early on that I didn't rate KEA and having now seen him more, I still don't - he gets dispossessed too often, seems a bit lightweight and doesn't make enough telling passes.

IMO neither Bannan or Albrighton are premiership class. For me the jury is still out on Herd and it is still to early to comment on Westwood. As for Delph I had great hopes when he first joined but for all his running and short passes against West Brom he struggled to get the ball forward. N'Zogbia has pace but his end product is abysmal. And what of Ireland? On paper our best midfielder but unless he has a head transplant I cannot see him returning to best. Yes we fell apart when he went off against Southampton but I didn't think he was as good as some think in the first half.

Sadly IMO Holman is the only decent reliable midfielder we have and If we are too survive this season we need we need to buy more class in January. I would love to proved wrong and see some of the new recruits come good or the youngsters mature but I am not optimistic.

As to whether we may get relegated - I will reserve my opinion till February.

**** Hell, please pause. This myth that Ireland dominated the 1st half at St Mary's !!??

Reminds me of the Jean II Makoun Old Trafford master class !

We were shite at St Mary's 1st half with Ireland in the pitch.

It's strange times indeed. On one hand I feel positive on the other when I think about it too much I wonder if i am kidding myself. There is a feeling of renewal about Villa; after two terrible years we have a more positive manager, but our squad in parts looks very weak. My hope is that our totally new defence will strengthen as the individuals get to know each other and "gel". I am most optimistic about the attack as I feel that Bent, Benteke, Weimann and Gabby will get the goals if they get the service from midfield.

However it is midfield that I most concerned about. With the exception of Holman we are really lacking class. I said early on that I didn't rate KEA and having now seen him more, I still don't - he gets dispossessed too often, seems a bit lightweight and doesn't make enough telling passes.

IMO neither Bannan or Albrighton are premiership class. For me the jury is still out on Herd and it is still to early to comment on Westwood. As for Delph I had great hopes when he first joined but for all his running and short passes against West Brom he struggled to get the ball forward. N'Zogbia has pace but his end product is abysmal. And what of Ireland? On paper our best midfielder but unless he has a head transplant I cannot see him returning to best. Yes we fell apart when he went off against Southampton but I didn't think he was as good as some think in the first half.

Sadly IMO Holman is the only decent reliable midfielder we have and If we are too survive this season we need we need to buy more class in January. I would love to proved wrong and see some of the new recruits come good or the youngsters mature but I am not optimistic.

As to whether we may get relegated - I will reserve my opinion till February.

To an extent I agree but as much as you shine Ireland one man does not make a team though his influence in the team helps when playing.

What we need is a type of 'Paul Merson' player added to the squad to knit our midfield together and make things happen, help bring on the younger players and compliment the more senior players like Ireland, Holman etc.

Will we find such a player in Jan? Who knows but if we do it won't be cheap unless PL pulls a rabbit out the hat.

So a short time contract to Alex (de Souza) who has just been cut loose from Fenerbahce after falling out with the club?

Yes he's old but he's also absolutely brilliant and would help Bent scoring goals to no end

Makoun was awesome against Man Utd - not even comparable.

No he wasn't.

This is a game we'd lost inside 2 mins and then united played in 2nd gear and still comfortably won 3-1. Makoun was ineffective and irrelevant.

So a short time contract to Alex (de Souza)? who has just been cut loose from Fenerbahce after falling out with the club.

Yes he's old but he's also absolutely brilliant and would help Bent scoring goals to no end

But then there seems more negatives than positives on this one.

imofwiw on Alex is that this guy is 35, he will proberly want a stupid last wage, then I doubt he would cope with the prem pace, he will last 50-60 mins a game being being knackered, he sounds like a egotistic type person and more likely he will want to return to Brazil rather than the freezing cold gusty wind shite weather of the UK.

Ideally we need to sign a long term signing to bed in the team which would proberly be a better option. A James Milner type of player.