Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

isn't every like for like result better ?

WBA - Last season home defeat

Swansea - Last season home defeat

Newcastle - Away Defeat

Everton (ok the argument falls a little here ) - Last season drawn

Southampton N/A

And if you consider Everton are a massively improved team - you can forgive that.

What we need is a result like Man City in the league

Equate Soton to Blackburn where we drew so overall 4 points from these games better off

Defence worries me. Naarwich's defence weren't all that either, from what I remember.

We were always going to ship more goals than under "the other guys" 7 defenders in the starting XI shenanigans.

What we need to be doing is converting more of the extra chances we create under Lambert, then we can start winning games 3-2 or drawing 2-2 etc etc

The whole team need to come together, it is not just the defence that is far too simplistic. First half of the season will be hairy scary, second half will hopefully see improvement

The difference between Villa and other "strugglers" is imo that we're getting better almost game-by-game but the likes of QPR, Norwich and Reading seems to be consistently poor and doesn't seem to show a lot of signs for improvement or are going backwards.

The difference between Villa and other "strugglers" is imo that we're getting better almost game-by-game but the likes of QPR, Norwich and Reading seems to be consistently poor and doesn't seem to show a lot of signs for improvement or are going backwards.

I think QPR will improve so that leaves 4 of us.

After watching the game today it again confirms what my thinking was since the transfer window closed.

We're going to struggle badly this season again and with all due respect to those who think we've improved i would suggest you take off your claret & blue tinted classes. We still have the problem of no creativity in midfield and no amount of guts and passion is going to make up for that.

Lambert has spent, what, 17m, and still we don't have a number ten to connect midfield to our forward line. He spent 7m on Benteke and to be frank that money has again been wasted when we could have got Berbatov for 5m.

Our defence hasn't really improved either and i am very concerned for the season ahead.

I think you support the wrong team TBH. All you ever do is post negativity. You'd be better off with City or Chelsea if you want to see world class players week in week out.

If you can't see the improvement under Lambert then you're either blind, trolling or have never seen footy before.

We had something like 16 chances today. How is that not creative?

I've seen you react this way before when someone posts something you don't agree with. Not good. So rather than try and debate your insulting remarks, i'd prefer not to give you any respect in doing that.

Is that not a constructive argument?

Not when his post is insulting!

I'll tell you what's been better in almost every game - performances.

Can't argue with that.

none of this 3 shots in 90 minutes malarkey.

I reckon pretty soon were gunna give someone a right hammering.

I see no differences in performance levels compared to last season. We are still as inept in front of goal as last season 'smetrov' and because of that i cannot see us giving any Premiership team 'a right hammering.'

You also have to remember we have had an easy start concerning fixtures and have picked up too few points against those teams. What makes you think we're going to score more goals against the better teams in the Premiership? Please don't quote the City game to me as that wasn't in the Premiership.

I see no differences in performance levels compared to last season. We are still as inept in front of goal as last season 'smetrov' and because of that i cannot see us giving any Premiership team 'a right hammering.'

You also have to remember we have had an easy start concerning fixtures and have picked up too few points against those teams. What makes you think we're going to score more goals against the better teams in the Premiership? Please don't quote the City game to me as that wasn't in the Premiership.

Perhaps you need to watch us more then. Performances have been much better and I honestly don't know how anybody can deny that.

City counts. That team they put out was easily far better than ours and full of quality players. You're only dismissing that because it wouldn't fit your argument to include it. Games against the big teams are not automatic write-offs like last season and we've proven that already.

You'd think after watching football for so many years people would be able to get their head round the idea that football isn't played on paper. Just because we got hammered by Southampton doesn't mean we can't go on to beat one of the best teams in the league. In fact that's exactly what happened.

Perhaps you need to watch us more then. Performances have been much better and I honestly don't know how anybody can deny that.

City counts. That team they put out was easily far better than ours and full of quality players. You're only dismissing that because it wouldn't fit your argument to include it. Games against the big teams are not automatic write-offs like last season and we've proven that already.

You'd think after watching football for so many years people would be able to get their head round the idea that football isn't played on paper. Just because we got hammered by Southampton doesn't mean we can't go on to beat one of the best teams in the league. In fact that's exactly what happened.

I'd refer you to the strict PM sent by the Mods to both of us Mantis. I have noted you interfering in debates i've been having with other VT posters and would ask you to stop that as per under Mod instruction. You will note i was replying to 'smetrov's' post and i actually named who i was replying to. Any further interference in my debates with other posters and i will have no alternative but to report you to the Mods.

The difference in performance levels from last season to this season have been massive.. You can just tell the players are playing for the manager and their place in the team. Last year not so much, they were happy to just coast along, but not under Lambert.

Have the results been any better AF? Its not as if we have had a hard start to our season fixture wise.

You could argue we've played certain teams at the wrong time eg. West Ham & Southampton both away early doors?

It's better to play the newly promoted teams a couple of months in when they've been found out a bit and the adrenalin has begun to dissolve.

Equally that could be seen as clutching at straws

The difference in performance levels from last season to this season have been massive.. You can just tell the players are playing for the manager and their place in the team. Last year not so much, they were happy to just coast along, but not under Lambert.

Have the results been any better AF? Its not as if we have had a hard start to our season fixture wise.

Not but we are talking about the Performance not the results, Look at Swansea at home, remember what happend last season?

Played good against newcastle and should have won that game, only Ben Arfa's wonder strike saved them.

Yes we played very bad against southampton, but it was the worst time to play them.. Just been battered 6-1 by Arsenal and wanting to prove something to their home fans..

Results will come.

While we might look a bit better under Lambert, the results are so far just as bad (or even worse) as under our previous managers.

Since i hardly saw any games with Norwich under Lambert during his time there i don't have the same high opinion of him as most people here seem to have. You rightly get slated for wanting to sign a player you've never seen play, then why would i be over the moon about a manager i know very little about?

Yes it looks good on paper, but as Manthis says football isn't played on paper.

Im fairly happy with us getting Lambert, but untill he has the results at Villa to back it up with i'll remain cautious.

I've yet to see any massive improvement from last season, but that is to be expected this early on. If it happens it will take time.

Yes at least we look better than under McLeish, and yes Lowton is an improvement on Hutton, but is that enough?

Is this how far we have fallen as a club? An owner who is happy to just cut cost and fans who are happy as long as we are better than under McLeish?

We seem to be in denial over how dire our situation is and to be putting all our faith in Lambert being an miracle worker.

I sure hope Lambert is as good as we all pray he is because it'll take i miracle to keep us out of the bottom 5.

Change doesn't happen over night, it's gradual work-in-progress. We've been much more attacking, we've actually retained the ball and have actually fought for the ball. We had some very good chances against West Brom (Benteke's strike over the bar in the end of the first half), two very good shots by Holman which were both saved by Foster and one or two hassles just in front of their goal.

Have we gotten so used to the shit and gloom that some of us can't even see the light in the tunnel and the progress the team has done compared to the two last seasons?

We got floored by Southampton and how the team responded? They won Man City 2-4 away, and played very well. Can you imagine that kind of response during the previous two seasons?

I watched your game against WBA, and I'm sorry, but you look certain relegation candidates to me.

Long should have put the game beyond your reach several times, your defending was appalling at times.

Its not sour grapes, because we're as good as down ourselves, at least you have a manager whereas our guy's a total joke...........I'm dreading our game with you now.

We see what we wan't to see. We wan't Lambert to succed so we see good in everything.

Just imagine what the mood had been on here with these signings and results if McLeish had still been here?

Playing more attractive football would not have helped...