Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Man City won't care about the PL now they are in the FA cup final. Wigan will be the hungrier side for the midweek fixture. City could get turned over. Nothing is a given. Wigan have done it before. They could rest Aguero, Toure, etc. When it comes down to the final games, the only thing that matters is what you do yourself. You have to win your winnable games. 

I disagree. There are a few of reasons why Man City will care about their remaining games...

1) They will need to be on good form for the final.

2) Mancini seems a proud manager who wants to finish as close to Man Utd in 2nd as possible. (Otherwise he could be sacked).

3) If Man City turn over Wigan easily in mid-week it will have a big psychological effect on Wigan, who they will play in the final at the end of the season.

You're right about us needing to win our winnable games though. Yesterday would have been nice. :-(

Would not surprise me if Wigan turn City over. City players have their eye on the FA Cup and nothing else.  

If not turned over, Wigan could eke out a draw. They have two games in hand so a draw against Man City could be the difference.

If we don't win our own winnable games we only have ourselves to blame when we are relegated.

Just wondering those who thought a point would be enough against Fulham with Sunderland earmarked as three points are still as confident after today?

I previously stated that it was more than a touch arrogant to suggest that.

Still confident we will stay up. 3 points would have been great yesterday and arguably we had enough chances to secure them. Looking at the weekend as a whole though we gained a point on Stoke, Norwich and Newcastle and lost 2 points to Sunderland.

Its still very much in our hands. We are fortunate that we have Sunderland, Norwich and Wigan still to play. I am really confident we will beat Sunderland as I believe we are better than them and I can see us taking at least a point off Norwich. I also wouldn't completely rule out taking something from Man Utd and certainly Chelsea at home

Wigan although they have 2 games in hand now a real fixture pile up and that could well take its toll on them. I actually think by the time we play then we will be safe if not then so be it so long as its still in our own hands I'd be happy to go there knowing a positive result will keep us up.

As supporters we need to keep the faith, keep showing the same level of support, both in terms of numbers and vocally, we showed against QPR, Stoke and yesterday against Fulham. Now is not the time for faint hearts and bottling it. Now is the time to get right behind the lads and help them secure the points we need. We can do it and I believe we will.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

We're on a good run of form, playing better than we have all season and have some very winnable games in our run in. We have also through our good form been able to drag a fair few teams that  are REALLY struggling at  the moment back into the mix. We'll be fine.

• Like 2

Man City won't care about the PL now they are in the FA cup final. Wigan will be the hungrier side for the midweek fixture. City could get turned over. Nothing is a given. Wigan have done it before. They could rest Aguero, Toure, etc. When it comes down to the final games, the only thing that matters is what you do yourself. You have to win your winnable games. 

I disagree. There are a few of reasons why Man City will care about their remaining games...

2) Mancini seems a proud manager who wants to finish as close to Man Utd in 2nd as possible. (Otherwise he could be sacked).

3) If Man City turn over Wigan easily in mid-week it will have a big psychological effect on Wigan, who they will play in the final at the end of the season.

You're right about us needing to win our winnable games though. Yesterday would have been nice. :-(

I agree with what you think about Mancini, but the players might not feel the same way.

Man City don't care about "psychological effects" because their players consider themselves superior... they play for Man City and are on huge wages!

They are that much better than Wigan, or at least that's what they think becuase their wages are 10* wigan players, it won't have any affect on their FA Cup performance if they don't beat them in the league game.

I agree with what you think about Mancini, but the players might not feel the same way.

Man City don't care about "psychological effects" because their players consider themselves superior... they play for Man City and are on huge wages!

They are that much better than Wigan, or at least that's what they think becuase their wages are 10* wigan players, it won't have any affect on their FA Cup performance if they don't beat them in the league game.

Maybe not, but it could sway Mancini's team selections. The players are on huge wages but they will all want to play in the final. If some start not giving a shit, and the results are affected, they could lose their place for the final.

Just trying to be positive, which for me feels odd.

Just wondering those who thought a point would be enough against Fulham with Sunderland earmarked as three points are still as confident after today?

Good for you, but not many were saying Sunderland would be a definite win.

Now spending far to much of my time staring at the premier league table, working out various combinations of results and establishing what impact such combinations have on our survival. Concluded that is so, so unpredictable (and suppose it didn't take a genius to work that out!) now just going to try and chill out and enjoy the ride. We're playing well, scoring goals and haves chance, which is more than I thought we'd have at the end of Jan when I didn't think we'd win another game.

Why point score against fellow Villa fans?

At a time when our Premier League status could go either way, there's a chance many of the predictions on this thread could be correct. I hope we stay up and this thread doesn't become full of posters slating others for lacking faith. Conversely, if we go down, I hope it's not full of posters enjoying a 'told you so' attitude. It won't serve anyone well.

Either way, our club will be there for us all to support next season.

• Like 2

After conceding yet another sloppy goal against Fulham to throw away another victory and after the unexpected 3-0 win by Sunderland over Newcastle it is quite likely that we will be back in the relegation zone by the time we play our 6 pointer against Sunderland.

We don't seem capable of pulling away from danger and just when we have the chance like we did against Fulham we go and shoot ourselves in the foot and put ourselves back deep in the shit.

Lose against united, draw against sunderland, draw against norwich lose against chelsea and lose at wigan, at best I think we might grab a win at either norwich or wigan but not both, and we may also scrape a draw against chelsea, so we'll either pick up 2 or 3 points at worse which will definately send us down or we'll grab 5 or 6 points which could be enough but only just, I actually think we'll go down, if it wernt for benteke we would already be down so thank god we have him

Wigan, have to play their games in hand midweek, which will mean they'll be playing 3 matches in a seven day spell on two occassions - I don't think they've the squad depth to deal with that, especially at the end of a season and with their players not wanting to get injured for the FA cup final.

It's a big ask for Wigan.

Personally I think Stoke are looking the dodgiest - poor form, can't buy a goal and have slowly slipped into the relegation battle with no fight in their team.

Conversely, if we go down, I hope it's not full of posters enjoying a 'told you so' attitude. It won't serve anyone well.

No supporter could enjoy us being relegated in order to say "I told you so". If Bannan isn't played again in the run in, we will be relegated. If that occurs I can say "I told you so" but I wouldn't enjoy it. I want Bannan played in the run-in so we won't be relegated.

After conceding yet another sloppy goal against Fulham to throw away another victory and after the unexpected 3-0 win by Sunderland over Newcastle it is quite likely that we will be back in the relegation zone by the time we play our 6 pointer against Sunderland.

We don't seem capable of pulling away from danger and just when we have the chance like we did against Fulham we go and shoot ourselves in the foot and put ourselves back deep in the shit.

Yes everytime we have a chance to put some distance between us and the rest we blow it. There may have been some degree of misfortune in the own goal but it was still a bad mistake  by Delph.

Conversely, if we go down, I hope it's not full of posters enjoying a 'told you so' attitude. It won't serve anyone well.

No supporter could enjoy us being relegated in order to say "I told you so". If Bannan isn't played again in the run in, we will be relegated. If that occurs I can say "I told you so" but I wouldn't enjoy it. I want Bannan played in the run-in so we won't be relegated.

Can't work out emoticons on my phone but I'd put 3 or 4 laughing faces here.

Are you a villa fan or a bannan fan? If we go down it won't be because we didn't play bannan hahahahaha

If Bannan doesn't play another game and we go down nobody is going to say you are right but its hard to understand having performed well in the wins against Reading and QPR he doesn't even figure in the squads for the last two games.