Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

I'm sure that hugely offends Wigan fans...

I suspect your post might offend other football fans, not just Wigan! Of course your opinion is valid but not necessarily one I agree with on this occasion.

Wigan have what, 1 player that has come through their youth system (McManaman). They basically rely on finding cheap, underrated, foreign imports. Credit to them for what they've achieved, they have punched above their weight for several years but I'd prefer they went down. I don't think they're particularly good for English football or the Premier League. 

The feeling I've got is that I look at the table and think 'Oh my god, they can easily pick up 5 points and we just won't' about every single team in the relegation battle. However, you can 100% guarantee that Stoke, Wigan and Sunderland fans are saying the exact same thing.

Looking at it objectively, we are in some sort of form and have some momentum, whereas teams like Stoke and Norwich just aren't and haven't.

We will always slag off our own team when in a relegation battle and big up the other teams even though they're just as bad, or even worse.

If you look at other forums, most think we'll be miles safe. The same words we are saying about other teams around us. Keep the faith. Everyone is as nervous as each other!

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2

It's also interesting (To me anyway :)) That although we have an abysmal goal difference the closest to us are

QPR and Reading. Who are miles away so those ones are no use.

Wigan. Who are already in the bottom three but the goal difference may be handy as they're our closest rivals potentially with those games in hand, Of course they could improve that goal difference with those very games.

And Norwich, who are not on a very good run, we are yet to play against them and the goal difference could become vital if they continue failing to pick up points.

Our goal difference may not remain the lost cause it seemed to be.

Although we could lose all the remaining games, getting battered and end up with the worst goal difference ever....

Edited by 8pints

its going to be close, no question about that.... our form is good, but at the end of the day, before that, our form was very, very poor.... what i interpret from that is that we are on a run of decent form, but we are not a team that is going to win every game - in other words. we haven't become a top team overnight, but we are definitely showing progress, and are not folding, where earlier in the season we were....

our losses of points are narrow, and for the most part, self inflicted of late - delph against fulham, baker own goal, baker penalty, ciaran against man city...

teams are now concerned about playing us, and not presuming we are a walkover three points.... and by and large we are right to do so....

i thought that overall, saturday was an off day for us, compared to the standard that we have been playing of late and we still came away with a point.... we missed gabby, benteke was ineffective, westwood had more missed passes in the first 20 minutes that i've seen from him all season...

and yet, we got a point, and could / should have had all three....

we have no easy games left this season, but don't see why we should fear any of those remaining games....

having said that, we really really need to keep our players fit - we need our front three back and firing.... other critical players are westwood, guzan, lowton, zoggy, vlaar and probably delph....

baker has been great for me the last couple of games, brave to the point of lunacy.... and zoggy was great on saturday.... i'd slot him behind bentekkers, gabby and andi weimann in place of jordan bowery, if i was in charge, and think there's goals in that four against anyone including manure...

• Like 2

Was this merged with the Barry Bannan thread?

Back on topic, if you want some perspective go check in on the forums for other teams deep in the sheeeet. Here's a bit of a summary.

Wigan (it was hard finding an active message board): Probably can't do it again this year as they don't have anyone that can pull some magic out of nowhere. CNZ mentioned as someone who used to. They think they're down.

Stoke: Down and happy that it'll be the end of Pulis who they know has made them the most hated team in the prem.

Sunderland: Obviously riding high after today (one post was talking about a top half finish) but assuming they're all wasted from today's exploits, previous posts have been a lot more somber. The two remaining sober mackems in the city are basically saying they're still in it with a lot to do.

Norwich - surprisingly nonchalant about dropping, basically a 50/50 split between the ones who are bricking it and the ones who think they'll be fine.

Newcastle - the odd outbreak of panic (again, probably more beer talking) but generally pretty calm.

So basically Wigan and Stoke think they are gone, us and Sunderland think we have a lot to do, Newcastle and (baffling as it is) Norwich think they are in the clear. I'd say the barcodes will be fine, the rest is a lottery at this point. There'll be a lot more shuffling at the bottom before the end of the season.

Side note - there was a fan on the Sunderland board that put seven quid on Sunderland 3-0 and Johnson to score at 85-1 after dreaming about it all week. He hasn't been seen on any post-match threads. Probably pickled in a ditch somewhere.

Nice one for taking the time out to visit the other clubs forums.

I'd agree with pretty much the analysis of the forums... I think Sunderland are safe, I think Newcastle are safe and I think Norwich are safe (I only think Norwich are safe because they have the easiest run in any club could have ever of wished... I think 1 top team and other than that all winnable games for them).

Stoke are deep in the mire... they have a relatively easy run in but just can't buy a performance to get them out of the shit at the moment.

Wigan are my favorites to go down... people are only saying they won't go because of their experience but they are still a pretty dire team if truth be told. And you know how to get rid of the one that just won't flush? After a few attempts of flushing, just put tissue paper on it and pull. I believe they have tissue paper all over them at the moment.

I think were as bad as wigan if not worse, wigan seem to have more about them than us, their a better unit as a team, just my opinion but they seem to be able to get the results , it will be between us and wigan but they have a lot more nerve than us I feel

Wigan appear to have the luck, the only reason people fear them is the history they have at surviving, this time it will be different, they have a hard run in, a fixture pile up and lets be honest they aint that good. We need to stop this self abuse and believe in the players like the manager does, given all the teams at the bottom we have the most fire power and a decent run in, if any thing the last game against Wigan should be a momentous game where we send them packing like we did Newcastle.

Why are people saying our form is great - Weve taken 1 point from the last two home games ?

Maybe but we deserved more in both games, enough anyway to give hope, think back 6 games and tell me if you believe we had a chance at staying up. as I said you need to stop being so negative and believe. what makes you certain that the teams around us have more chance of survival, why do you believe that their current form makes them more likely to survive. There are alot more people in the game with genuine football knowledge that think we will be fine so why can't we believe it as well.

Why are people saying our form is great - Weve taken 1 point from the last two home games ?

Why only home games, and why only the last two? We are in the top half of the form table.

It's not fantastic form but it's good given that we're relegation battlers and not fighting to win the league.

No problem. I'll stop when you actually respond to whats in my post rather than your own interpretation.

That's actually what I was doing earlier - responding to your post.

No you were responding to your own interpretation which again was incorrect but que the last word scenario again.

Why only home games, and why only the last two? We are in the top half of the form table.

It's not fantastic form but it's good given that we're relegation battlers and not fighting to win the league.

The key to staying is (Imo) winning your home games - go back a few more home games if you like.

My general point was our home form ain't great  - all IMO of course.

its going to be close, no question about that.... our form is good, but at the end of the day, before that, our form was very, very poor.... what i interpret from that is that we are on a run of decent form, but we are not a team that is going to win every game - in other words. we haven't become a top team overnight, but we are definitely showing progress, and are not folding, where earlier in the season we were....

our losses of points are narrow, and for the most part, self inflicted of late - delph against fulham, baker own goal, baker penalty, ciaran against man city...

teams are now concerned about playing us, and not presuming we are a walkover three points.... and by and large we are right to do so....

i thought that overall, saturday was an off day for us, compared to the standard that we have been playing of late and we still came away with a point.... we missed gabby, benteke was ineffective, westwood had more missed passes in the first 20 minutes that i've seen from him all season...

and yet, we got a point, and could / should have had all three....

we have no easy games left this season, but don't see why we should fear any of those remaining games....

having said that, we really really need to keep our players fit - we need our front three back and firing.... other critical players are westwood, guzan, lowton, zoggy, vlaar and probably delph....

baker has been great for me the last couple of games, brave to the point of lunacy.... and zoggy was great on saturday.... i'd slot him behind bentekkers, gabby and andi weimann in place of jordan bowery, if i was in charge, and think there's goals in that four against anyone including manure...

Will be interesting to see how Lambert sets the team up against Man U. He is much lauded for setting our team up to attack yet with one eye on our goal difference will he do the same against Man U?

Its going to get worse before it gets better.

Next weekends fixtures dont look promising.. while we take on this seasons eventual champions..  the rest are playing very winnable games against practically relegated Reading and QPR or midtable teams who have already switched off this season.

Its going to look pretty bad especially if Wigan win.. we may find ourselves in the bottom 3 with 5 to go. Good thing is.. we play Sunderland Norwich and Wigan in those games.

Its in our hands. Win those 3 and were fine.

people are going on abotu our form becuase we have taken 10 points from the last 5 matches. so 10 points from an available 15. if we get 10 points from our next 5, we'll finish on 44 points and be well clear. if we do only half as well as the form over the last 5 and get 5 points we'll be on 39 and probably safe.

• Like 1

Maybe but we deserved more in both games, enough anyway to give hope, think back 6 games and tell me if you believe we had a chance at staying up. as I said you need to stop being so negative and believe. what makes you certain that the teams around us have more chance of survival, why do you believe that their current form makes them more likely to survive. There are alot more people in the game with genuine football knowledge that think we will be fine so why can't we believe it as well.

You can beleive it.

Depends on how look at missing a hatful of chances, yet only holding the lead for 10 minutes - only getting a point from a team who had only 1 shot on target all game.

If you wish think that another day more of those goals will go in..........and we will keep a clean sheet.