Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

It’s always 38-40 points required an this season will be no different.

The funny thing is that in Feb every year it looks like there is no chance the bottom teams will get enough points to get close to 40 but every season the bottom teams scrape together the results.

I think we'll need the full 40pts this season. Everyone around us is picking up points and of the ones who are struggling, I would expect Stoke and Sunderland to do something between now and the end of the season. Form is temporary and they'll break out of it sooner or later. We've won 3 in 4 and yet we're still only 2pts off the drop. If we can beat Fulham then I'll begin to breathe more easily but that game is far from a sure thing. They're playing very well and we're crap at home. But given next week's fixtures, if we did beat them then I think we'd find ourselves quite far from the relegation zone with our rivals having mostly tripped up.

1) "I think we'll need the full 40pts this season" - No way will we need 40 pts this season - It looks so tight that it might be possible to avoid relegation with as low as 35 pts this time round

2) "Everyone around us is picking up points" - No they're not. Stoke have picked up 1 from the last 15, Stoke 2 from the last 15 and Norwich 3 from the last 15. They're all dropping like stones

3) "Form is temporary" - the rest of this quote is "...and class is permanent" Stoke, Sunderland and Norwich are not class teams, they're below average journeymen

4) "they'll break out of it sooner or later" - based on what

We're not out the woods yet, but a win against Fulham and we can begin to relax. That would put us 3 points behind Fulham with five to play, so if as you say "they're playing very well", on that basis we must be too

I think you're mad if you honestly think 35 will be enough.

2 months ago I'd have agreed. But even Wigan and Sunderland are already on 31. I think the full 40 may well be needed.

Certainly more than 35 anyway.

If we get to 38 points I'd say we have a good chance. If we break the magic 40 we'll stay up for sure.

I didn't say 35 pts would be definitly be enough, I said that it might be possible to avoid relegation with 35 pts. Reading and QPR are gone and I could easily see one of Wigan, Sunderland, Stoke or maybe Norwich struggling to put many more points on the board this season

I think we all agree its going to be pretty tight.

I am however, becoming concerned we're being talked about a lot for staying up whether its fans or the media.

This is not good, if it filters through to the players we'll be back to being wank again for sure.

If Stoke and Sunderland's form can turn for the better ours can turn for the worse.

We've still got 2 defeats to go as well playing Utd and Chelsea, so its still going to be tight, just hope and pray that its not down to Wigan on the final day.

• Like 1

I think we'll need the full 40pts this season. Everyone around us is picking up points and of the ones who are struggling, I would expect Stoke and Sunderland to do something between now and the end of the season. Form is temporary and they'll break out of it sooner or later. We've won 3 in 4 and yet we're still only 2pts off the drop. If we can beat Fulham then I'll begin to breathe more easily but that game is far from a sure thing. They're playing very well and we're crap at home. But given next week's fixtures, if we did beat them then I think we'd find ourselves quite far from the relegation zone with our rivals having mostly tripped up.

1) "I think we'll need the full 40pts this season" - No way will we need 40 pts this season - It looks so tight that it might be possible to avoid relegation with as low as 35 pts this time round

2) "Everyone around us is picking up points" - No they're not. Stoke have picked up 1 from the last 15, Stoke 2 from the last 15 and Norwich 3 from the last 15. They're all dropping like stones

3) "Form is temporary" - the rest of this quote is "...and class is permanent" Stoke, Sunderland and Norwich are not class teams, they're below average journeymen

4) "they'll break out of it sooner or later" - based on what

We're not out the woods yet, but a win against Fulham and we can begin to relax. That would put us 3 points behind Fulham with five to play, so if as you say "they're playing very well", on that basis we must be too

I think you're mad if you honestly think 35 will be enough.

2 months ago I'd have agreed. But even Wigan and Sunderland are already on 31. I think the full 40 may well be needed.

Certainly more than 35 anyway.

If we get to 38 points I'd say we have a good chance. If we break the magic 40 we'll stay up for sure.

I didn't say 35 pts would be definitly be enough, I said that it might be possible to avoid relegation with 35 pts. Reading and QPR are gone and I could easily see one of Wigan, Sunderland, Stoke or maybe Norwich struggling to put many more points on the board this season

I'd be very surprised if Sunderland and Wigan, both fighting relegation, don't manage to get 4 more points in their 6 (7 for Wigan) remaining games.

Norwich are already on 35.

I'm still on abit of a high from the Stoke match , so much so i think we'll win every game from now until the end of the season i dont think we should be scared of anyone i know we have our faults but **** it lets go for it . 

Man Utd and Chelsea are tricky, we will most likely lose to United (14-0-2) but against Chelsea there is hope. Chelsea are 7-3-5 away from home this season, there is no reason why we cannot snatch a point.

We have Fulham (home), Sunderland (home), Norwich (away) and Wigan (away).

We need to at least beat Fulham or Sunderland before we have two games against Norwich and Wigan. Going into the Norwich-game knowing we will stay up if we win would be insane for motivation. Win both of Fulham and Sunderland at home - and we are safe because we aren't losing all the other 4 games.

It's looking good, especially as we have match-winners in the squad right now. Sunderland and Wigan don't know where their next goal is coming from, but we have Benteke on fire, a hungry Weimann and a lethal and injury-free Darren Bent - as well as Gabby who looks very much on these weeks. All we want to do is be safe before the last match, because that would be HARD to witness. I want to be able to lose to Wigan and still know that the other teams have to perform for us to go down. it is going to be about 1 or 2 points from safety, but all I know is that we are in front now and not trailing. That is the single most important fact, regardless of the games every other team are going to play. If we win against Fulham it suddenly looks very safe since we have so many games to get a few more points, if we draw then OK, if we lose we are right back into the mix.

Shit this is going to be nerve-wracking!

This is how I have it going into the last game of the season:

fjg77n.png

That's with us getting DLWDL in the next five games. What I'd give for that scenario, however I still have the feeling it's going to come down to the Wigan game.

I still think we'll hang on, we have 4 winnable games left with a possible 12 points for us to pick up. To be honest, I'm secretly confident that we can pick up something from the Chelsea game. It's in the team's best interest to give them something to think about after they battered us last time, and I think the atmosphere at Villa Park is gonna be buzzing. They've been absolutely dreadful lately against our rivals. They don't look threatening in the least, and I think have actually been lucky to be winning the games that they have been (although, I imagine that they'll stop this crap run by the time they play us). We've definitely improved lately, and unlike most of the teams in the bottom half of the table, we have genuine threats in the team with Benteke in great form, Weimann giving it everything and now Gabby starting to find the net again as well. We can do this, and if we stay up, I hope to god that we build on what we've begun to create, get some more strength in our defence and start finishing in the upper half of the table, where Villa belongs! UTV!

• Like 1

It is our crap defense that makes me nervous.

If we had the ability to keep clean sheets we would be fairly sure of picking up more points in our remaining games.

Whilst we know we will let in one or two goals a game then it is difficult to be sure that we will score enough to get points.

It is our crap defense that makes me nervous.

If we had the ability to keep clean sheets we would be fairly sure of picking up more points in our remaining games.

Whilst we know we will let in one or two goals a game then it is difficult to be sure that we will score enough to get points.

At the moment our attacking part of the team is on fire.

Since our formation change against Newcastle we now average close to 2 goals a game.

But the worry is always going to be our defence. We're heavily relying on the front 3 because we know we are going to concede. If those front 3 continue then we should pick up the points needed.

I too think people are underestimating the number of points required, we've just picked up 9 points from 12, so easily could be 12 as well, but that is a different story. People forget that with our goal difference we are really only 1.5 points ahead of Sunderland & Wigan (unless City give them an awful battering). In the season just gone after 32 games the teams from 16th to 19th had either 28 or 29 points and Q.P.R. stayed up on 37 points. In 2010/11 the teams ranging from 17-20th had between 31 & 33 points & Wolves stayed up on 40 points. I think 38 might not be enough.

Newcastle should of been home and dry against Fulham ages before they scored.If Benteke gets the chances Cisse had we will score more than once and win comfortably.

IF we beat Fulham and IF Sunderland lose to Newcastle that will give us a nice gap going into match against them , win that and though mathematically not safe I think we will be fine.

A good showing against Utd, whatever the result, would give the lads immense confidence for the final couple of games. What we don't need is for them to run riot over us, ala Chelsea, because you can just see heads dropping and belief waning.

Saying that, I don't see us dropping points against Fulham or Sunderland, so it may be irrelevant. And surely we owe the FSW's boys one?

It's gunna be so **** tight!

Wins against Fulham and Sunderland would be MASSIVE in terms of survival. They're the games we need to win to stay up. 2 wins out of the next 5 will see us safe JUST. 

Beating Norwich may also be vital.

Coming away from there with nothing would make me very nervous, must admit. But again, might be that just a point would see us right.