Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

We simply need to keep hold of Lambert if we are relegated. The man will come good for sure. Hopefully he can strengthen us this summer in the premier league.

he can only strengthen us in the summer if he gets some money to spend.

Do you really think he will?

he got a lot more than most managers in the UK last year and with a few high earners off the wage bill i would imagine he will get enough

We simply need to keep hold of Lambert if we are relegated. The man will come good for sure. Hopefully he can strengthen us this summer in the premier league.

he can only strengthen us in the summer if he gets some money to spend.

Do you really think he will?

I think he will get around 20m which is slightly more than last summer. I base this on increased tv deal and another load of high earners off the wage bill Dunne, Petrov and Warnock which is easily 5m a year off the wage bill and it is very questionable if  Macoun, Ireland, Given and unfortunately Bent will be with us next summer. I feel those situations combined will add up to a healthy transfer fund in the summer IF we are still in this league.

Based on what?
To be honest who else would we get?

I genuinely dont know who would come into a Championship Villa side that would be interesting at all. The usual faces scare the crap out of me.

Serious question, who would you sooner we got if we got relegated? The only exciting candidate I can think of is Gary McAllister, who was a dour bastard but was a brief but pleasant reign of competency around here.

If we went down we'd be a massive draw to any current championship or league 1 managers. I think a lot of managers at that level would happily leave their teams to come and manage villa in the championship.

If Brighton didn't get promoted Poyet would be someone I'd happily see come in if we were relegated.

Edited by Big_John_10

Lambert needs to stay. He is building and should be allowed to continue to build to get us where we belong. Whether that means a season outside of the top flight then so be it. I have come to accept it anyway after the past 3 years.

If he can't keep us up what makes you think he'll build a team that will get us back to where we belong?

Where do we belong exactly? Who would you bring in to replace him if we went down? What exactly is your problem with him?

What's my problem with him? Have you watched this season?

Why do people think "a season in the Championship" wouldn't hurt.    Why do people think we would be only one season out of the Prem? I think we could do a Leeds or worse a Cov without some major changes, should we drop down

we'll never do a Cov because we own our own stadium, and we have money, we're just choosing to spend it more wisely, to stop us from doing a Cov/Leeds.

If we were to go down, we may not come back up at the first time of asking, but we wouldn't be in free fall like the 2 clubs you mentioned. 

Even if we only spent a season in the Championship it would do us a lot of harm through loss of our best players, massive loss of TV money and less income through lower crowds. I'm stumped as to how anyone can think it wouldn't damage us.

Even if we only spent a season in the Championship it would do us a lot of harm through loss of our best players, massive loss of TV money and less income through lower crowds. I'm stumped as to how anyone can think it wouldn't damage us.

I agree with this but we certainly wont drop leagues after

Was an interesting point from Curbishley today in the paper , he suggested its the clubs who get sucked into the fight at the end who are the ones who suddenly can't deal with the pressure as opposed to the ones fighting it all season.Norwich if they lose the next one and the rest of us pick up points will be right in the mix and could be the ones to go.I would have said Sunderland and certainly with the players they have out and form they are in they are in trouble but PDC in this league is unknown and could keep them up.Chelsea looks a tough game on paper but other than us they have been appalling against the bottom teams then Newcastle and derbys are always hard to predict and Newcastle themselves look less than secure even with their new recruits.

Despite change of manager and players its seems wierd that just like last season beating Fulham at home could be the result that keeps us up ..hopefully they turn up and play as woefully as they did last season.

Bad thing

He makes Bannan look world class

I remember last season he was Fulham's best player when he came to Villa park. It's a good thing for us that he is out.

Oh he's desperate to score against us. Every time he plays us he's haring forward, wants the ball at every opportunity, shoots on sight. Very happy he's out – think we caught a break there.

Based on what?
To be honest who else would we get?

I genuinely dont know who would come into a Championship Villa side that would be interesting at all. The usual faces scare the crap out of me.

Serious question, who would you sooner we got if we got relegated? The only exciting candidate I can think of is Gary McAllister, who was a dour bastard but was a brief but pleasant reign of competency around here.

If we went down we'd be a massive draw to any current championship or league 1 managers. I think a lot of managers at that level would happily leave their teams to come and manage villa in the championship.

If Brighton didn't get promoted Poyet would be someone I'd happily see come in if we were relegated.

If we are going to go for a league 1 or another championship manager, then we might as well stick with Lambert. 3 seasons ago he took over a Norwich in league 1 side that had just been beaten by his very own Colchester team! The man is learning still and he has a season of premiership survival under his belt. If we happen to go down it will be as a result of the past two seasons, and how we have been forced to dismantle our team and start again.

Lambert is the man we need, premier league or not.

If you are looking at what we are doing right now, Big John has a point.

If you believe in the long run Lambert will be the the man, then fine, but there is marginal evidence to suggest much will change without funds.

Its very difficult to visualise or predict a significant improvement in the quality of our exisiting players.

Under Ron Saunders i could see a very tangible improvement in the players he brought in, sadly, I don't see anything of the same rate of improvement taking place with our lower league players.

whether our coaches are not as good or whether the quality is not there to nurture, I'm unsure, but I don't see the same improvement rate like I seen  years ago with the likes of Teale & Leonard etc

whether it takes longer than I expect, who knows, but at some stage we will have to say " This is or this is not working"

PS  just remember " blind faith" and "Hope without substance" is not the same as being positive.

Edited by TRO

Bad thing

He makes Bannan look world class

I remember last season he was Fulham's best player when he came to Villa park. It's a good thing for us that he is out.

Sidwell is doing OK with Fulham as a matter of fact. One of a little band of players who were useless with Villa but now doing better with higher placed premier league sides.  :( 

Edited by briny_ear