Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Wouldn't be at all surprised if we drop, but in some respects it'll get rid of the "but we're a Premiership club" cack that people spout, given our younger players (ie the whole squad) a chance to compete at a lower level and get a winning mentality, and in some respects it'd be a nice change of scenery.

Most people seem to forget that the Premier League is pretty much a closed shop at the top - what do you want to see, another season of us struggling against clubs with open chequebooks or a season or two playing other teams who are chasing a promotion?

Relegation is not the end of the world.

Have to say i can only agree with you Moose. It would be an opportunity in reality to sort the horrid mess out with less pressure on everybody & without the protection racket which comes with the Premier League. Once we had gotten over the disappointment & the red mist had cleared i think it could be a very interesting time actually. Loads of local derbies too. I remember the 87 relegation & i was a home & away supporter then.. we had an absolute ball we really did. Villa was the game everyone was waiting for & we always had a great atmosphere & of course got promoted into the bargain too. Great fun.

what do you want to see, another season of us struggling against clubs with open chequebooks or a season or two playing other teams who are chasing a promotion?

I'll take the first option.

We'll beat Newcastle, West Ham, Reading, QPR, Liverpool, Fulham, Sunderland, Norwich and Wigan. We'll get draws against WBA, Stoke, Chelsea. So that is 30 points on top of what we have at the moment. Trust me we'll be safe.

I mean we do have a quality quality team and once Lambert has instilled the system he wants us to play and we are getting closer to this, we'll be harder to beat.

We have a quality team. In Brad Guzan we have a exceptional GK. Only Cech, Hart and Lloris are better. In Vlaar we have one of the best defenders in the world. Apart from the defences of chelsea and man u he'd walk into any team in league. Clark is going to be exceptional. Lawton will be great for us he has all the talent. In midfield the likes of N'Zogbia, Holman, Delph and Herd is very talented. Once Lambert gets them increasing their work rate their skills will come to fruition. In Benteke we have the best No.9 in the league and Bent is a supreme goalscorer.

I reckon we'll finish around 13th or 14th. Due to our bad start. We have a great team full of talented players. In Lambert we have the best young manager in Britain. I believe.

Only the other night after a few posts I made I was told to come down to Villa Park and sell whatever it is I was on whilst at the time of writing them.

I tell you something you will have me out of business within 10 minutes if you bring down whatever the **** it is you are on as mine is nowhere near this good! :huh:

Have to say i can only agree with you Moose. It would be an opportunity in reality to sort the horrid mess out with less pressure on everybody & without the protection racket which comes with the Premier League. Once we had gotten over the disappointment & the red mist had cleared i think it could be a very interesting time actually. Loads of local derbies too. I remember the 87 relegation & i was a home & away supporter then.. we had an absolute ball we really did. Villa was the game everyone was waiting for & we always had a great atmosphere & of course got promoted into the bargain too. Great fun.

I doubt it would be as much fun nowadays.

It was squeaky bum time at the end though - we had that mini collapse - we were favs for the title, then went up on goals scored, due to some freaky results on the last day ! - We did IIRC knock spurs out of the cup !

Spent my morning coffee reading this; https://www.betsofmates.com/info/blog.html which makes a few valid points, and I agree with to a certain extent, certainly that we will stay up!!

Ignoring Bradford, and looking at our last four league games in isolation.

Chelsea - Forget it, bad day at the office.

Spurs - Can beat anybody on their day, will be title contenders within a year or two

Swansea - Late goal sickener against a very difficult to beat team

Southampton - Defensively naive, but a bad call away from a 0-0, some bad finishing away from winning the game.

Belief will return, performance will improve, we'll get out of this.

That website's worth a look too, very impressive.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if we drop, but in some respects it'll get rid of the "but we're a Premiership club" cack that people spout, given our younger players (ie the whole squad) a chance to compete at a lower level and get a winning mentality, and in some respects it'd be a nice change of scenery.

Most people seem to forget that the Premier League is pretty much a closed shop at the top - what do you want to see, another season of us struggling against clubs with open chequebooks or a season or two playing other teams who are chasing a promotion?

Relegation is not the end of the world.

Dropping to the Championship will lose Villa £50m a season just in TV money (£70m in Prem vs £20m parachute payment).

Even if we could get straight back up in 1 season, the other clubs in the Prem would have pulled further away in that one season, we would then have trouble staying up.

Spent my morning coffee reading this; https://www.betsofma.../info/blog.html which makes a few valid points, and I agree with to a certain extent, certainly that we will stay up!!

Spurs - Can beat anybody on their day, will be title contenders within a year or two

Southampton - Defensively naive, but a bad call away from a 0-0, some bad finishing away from winning the game.

Sorry, Not having any of that garbage... call me immensely negative but the last paragraph summed it up by saying he thinks fulham have a good chance in going down with a few injuries. Then says that wigan will go down ( who literally are relegation battlers ) and said QPR for sure ( who are on a great run with a class side) And the fact he says the third and final spot goes to either reading or southampton ? And didn't mention about us having new brilliant signings to stay up ... just assumed we'd transform to a premier league team with vlaar and dunne back in the side ( which may i say im fed up of hearing ) .

Deliberately left Wigan out as didn't suit my argument!! Ha!

I just find it refreshing that somebody can look past the pile of turd, from a distance, and say we'll turn the corner. I do still believe that though, but maybe the skysports end of season shot will be of me crying my eyes out come May!

Spent my morning coffee reading this; https://www.betsofma.../info/blog.html which makes a few valid points, and I agree with to a certain extent, certainly that we will stay up!!

So the bottom line is that we played 4 and got 0 points, is that right ?

If you add the other 2 games as well ( Bradford and Wigan ) then we played 6 games for 0 points.

We conceeded 20 goals and scored 2 ......

Dropping to the Championship will lose Villa £50m a season just in TV money (£70m in Prem vs £20m parachute payment).

Even if we could get straight back up in 1 season, the other clubs in the Prem would have pulled further away in that one season, we would then have trouble staying up.

I made the same point in another thread.

Relegation this season could do real long term damage to the club.

I made the same point in another thread.

Relegation this season could do real long term damage to the club.

Thing is though Jon i think the damage has already been done to a large extent. If we do get relegated then we simply have to see it as an opportunity to sort this horrid mess out once & for all. Take the opportunity to truly rid the club of the wasters, hangers on & the like, sweep it clean & rebuild something much better... Then come back stronger... Of course if we stay up then great & this is by far the preferable option.

Thing is though Jon i think the damage has already been done to a large extent. If we do get relegated then we simply have to see it as an opportunity to sort this horrid mess out once & for all. Take the opportunity to truly rid the club of the wasters, hangers on & the like, sweep it clean & rebuild something much better... Then come back stronger... Of course if we stay up then great & this is by far the preferable option.

I love your optimism and I love your avatar even more...

That said, (and this is a question for the thread, and not aimed at you) since the Premier League was formed, who has ever benefitted from getting relegated from it? Who has ever come back stronger as a result of getting relegated?

Oldham? Forest? Bradford? Swindon? Leicester? Derby? Blues? QPR? Ipswich? Southampton (not really)? Norwich (not really)?

Portsmouth (no way)? Coventry? Jesus, they don't even own a football stadium any more and face the prospect of travelling to Hinckley United to play their games.

Leeds? Nope... Sunderland? Nope... Newcastle? Maybe last year... but nope...

Manchester City... top trump hmmm? But look how far they slipped first, and then what happened. They weren't brilliant when they first came back up, and have got where they are now with a bottomless pit of money the likes of which we can only dream of (again). Then there are the Fifa Fair Play rules that are intent on ensuring that a Man City never happens again to keep Europe's elite as far away from everyone else as possible. From what I see, owners of a football club can't really have any realistic intent to actually make money... it's not a means to grow money is it?

West Brom - to be fair, they are doing really well. But, I am sure their bubble will burst and will become a yo-yo again. They don't have the money to keep that up and I argue vehemently that they don't have the fanbase to sustain it either. (BTW - their secretary goes to watch Nuneaton Borough when Baggies are not fixture clashing - I have no ITK about Dorrens sadly).

West Ham - better this term up to now, but perenniel yo-yos. And so they will continue in the shadow of more promising Cockney Fayre.

Relegation will set this club back at least a decade. The likes of Stoke and Swansea have been building for years in the lower leagues - **** me, I have even seen Nuneaton Borough knock both these sides out of the FA Cup before Round 3 within the last 19 years.

This is by far the worst season ever to get relegated from the Premier League. If nothing else, to safeguard our reputation of one of the dwindling clubs never to have been relegated from the Premier League since it's inception.

Right now, the club is dying on it's arse.

Edited by Raver50032

Assuming we accept that the problems facing the club are caused solely by "wasters, hangers on & the like", I can see no reason why we would need to go down into the Championship (or worse) to do this. If you mean players like Hutton, Warnock, Dunne etc., their contracts will come to an end soon enough and we can be rid of them if that is what you want. Why go down a league and get less income to pay their large salaries for at least a season?

In reality, I think the realisation is growing in the discussions on this site that the real problem for us is a lack of business acumen and proper financial management by the board, as well as a lack of strategy about how to develop the club in footballing terms. I don't see how getting relegated will automatically help with either of those things. By making the club poorer, it will make them harder if anything.

There seems to be an assumption in some contributions to this thread that if we are relegated we will come straight back up only stronger. That didn't even happen for us after 1986/7. With a really strong squad that included players like Platt, Cowans and McGrath, we came close to relegation a couple more times in the next three years after promotion.

The record of clubs relegated from the premier league doesn't look to promising. The list of clubs relegated 5 seasons or more ago, who have never returned, is quite long:

Barnsley

Bradford City

Charltion Athletic

Coventry City

Crystal Palace

Derby County

Ipswich Town

Leeds United

Leicester City

Nottingham Forest

Oldham Athletic

Sheffield United

Sheffield Wednesday

Watford

Wimbledon

Some of those of course have sunk quite low since relegation.

Other clubs who have managed to get back to the prem had a long wait - Wolves, Southampton, QPR and Norwich have all had spells of 5 seasons or more outside the prem - even Man C had 4 seasons out.

Then there are clubs like WBA, SHA, Bolton, Middlesbrough, Sunderland and West Ham who seem to bounce in and out of the prem like cuckoo clocks.

I don't want us to risk copying any of those experiences.

So I prefer your final option of staying in the premier league. We need to do this at all costs and sort out our problems while still in the top flight. If we leave there's no guaranteeing when we might get back.

We can't get rid of the 'wasters' now even when we play them with the kids or send them out of the club on loan. They are no more likely to leave if we are in a different league, infact they are more likely to stay and cling to their big contracts knowing they won't get a better offer elsewhere.

The only thing that changes is that we have a massively reduced income/pull for new players and our matches are no longer on the TV/streams.