Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

I only deal with statistics and facts. Wishful thinking, speculation and hope are for others.

Going back in this thread, I noticed this and felt that it had to be addressed.

I'm almost lost for words at that simplicity of this - how anyone can solely 'deal' with stats in football is beyond me. One of the reasons that football is so interesting and worthy of debate is the fact that the devil is in the details - the mitigating factors, the circumstantial evidence, the hundreds of intangible factors that affect each game; stats can so often paint a picture that doesn't actually reflect the events of a game, that to rely on them solely to articulate an opinion is ludicrous.

That's the sort of evening I like. Go up a place in the table without kicking a ball!

:rolleyes: My thoughts exactly.

Plus, Sunderland play Chelsea - could be 0 points for 0 Neil.

Wigan play QPR, Reading play Southampton and Fulham play Newcastle - Hopefully those are all draws.

So six of the teams around us are playing each other. A win against Stoke would give us added strength, if they drew (Even two or four of them), even though we'd stay 15th.

The teams around us all playing each other isn't a good thing IMO, it means there's guaranteed points for those around us.

I'd take a draw against Stoke, which is sad to say. I can see Reading getting a few points this weekend. They have Southampton and then Sunderland in midweek, so they could certainly getget 6 points before next week's games.

Looking at the League Table, I can't help noticing what a dramatic effect a single bad half of football has had on Villa this season.

If we'd simply held on to a half-time lead at Southampton, there would be a bottom three of QPR (6 points), Southampton (9) and Reading (9) adrift of the rest, with Villa sitting fairly comfortably on 17 points and looking in no immediate danger. It's the second half collapse there that has put us in trouble ever since.

That's not to say we're too good to be in a relegation fight. I don't think we are. But it's a good illustration of various clichés about it being "a thin line" and so on.

very thin line, couple of lucky richochets for chicarito that had he had less luck and the ball had **** off a long way after a bad first touch and we could have had at least a point, possible 3 of man u, bags of confidence and be up the table. possibel less nervy displays at reading and qpr too...

tons of what ifs, and i'm sure qpr are saying what if when they hit the woodwork it had gone in...

I think people need to look a little closer at Stoke's form, it isn't actually that great away from home. Their record in the last 6 games away from the Britannia is;

W 1 D 2 L3

They have been picking up most of their points at home rather on their travels. It will be a tough game and they are certainly a tough team to play against but their recent form on the road isn't all that.

FFS

How did we let this happen that a team like bloody Stoke come to Villa Park and we are only hopeful that we may sneak a point off them?

Bad times :(

Check out the last two and a half years!