Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

We won despite playing very badly, which is a good sign. Despite being in the slough of despond a few weeks ago, on that performance I reckon as long as we keep this momentum going there is no reason why we cant have a comfortable second half of the season. We got the 3 points tonight, its a massive lift, and it will work wonders. Up the Villa!

So that's what, 7 from a possible 15 in November, against a more or less league average schedule? With no real case I can see for saying that we played worse overall than the results indicate? I'm not sure I see the case for really worrying about relegation, barring an injury crisis...

two clean sheets in a row, and who'd have thunk it, we've scored the winner from a corner....

a good win, and a priceless three points, and i guess all the lads can do is win...

however, having stayed up til 4am to watch the game, i must admit, i am more concerned about our quality relative to other teams than i have been for a while... reading were very very poor, and we made bloody hard work of getting the win...

the amount of clear chances that we missed in front of goal, to me says exactly why we need someone like bent in the squad. we really should have put away three or four yesterday, and i wasn concerned as to what plan b is, when barry b, andi weimann et al aren't firing on all cylinders....

thought ireland was excellent when he came on, and love the clean sheet....

all in all, great result, but my underlying feeing is that even if bent does go in january, lets make the most of him when we have him... even if thats only for 20 mins when things aren't going right for us...

So that's what, 7 from a possible 15 in November, against a more or less league average schedule? With no real case I can see for saying that we played worse overall than the results indicate? I'm not sure I see the case for really worrying about relegation, barring an injury crisis...

I find your perspective refreshing and insightful.

Yes i did want Lambert sacked and replaced by Redknapp because i have no faith in Lambert to keep us up.

However since Redknapp has gone elsewhere there really is no-one else available so i am hoping that Lambert will buy the right players to keep us up.

Yes mate i am negative. I want us to do well but i'm very concerned at Lambert's transfer policy when this season we really needed to bring experienced quality into the team. I don't like being where we are in the table and with a few better signings i think we would have been in mid table and away from the drop zone. I just think Lambert has taken an unnecessary gamble with our Premiership status and if he brings in more of the same in January then i really fear for us this season.

Sacked after 13 games. Absolutely ridiculous. The "modern" football fan is utterly clueless, it makes me sad.

Anyway, I'm enjoying watching us develop. 7 points from the last 5 including 3 clean sheets is perfectly acceptable and the general performance has allayed any minor fears I had of getting caught in a relegation scrap.

This is great fun. Jump on board, enjoy the ride. You get to say you were there....

We won despite playing very badly, which is a good sign. Despite being in the slough of despond a few weeks ago, on that performance I reckon as long as we keep this momentum going there is no reason why we cant have a comfortable second half of the season. We got the 3 points tonight, its a massive lift, and it will work wonders. Up the Villa!

RICO I like the general tone of your post, but we really didn't play "very badly"

Three CL sides? Average??

We played at a mediocre level last night - nothing like we played against United. It looked like hoofball for a large percentage of the game. But i'm really glad we won, now onto getting a result against QPR!

Our players looked nervy which was probably result of being still tired from the game against Arsenal due having only two days off between that and last night's game. Not completely recovered -> "How are we going to play since we're tired? We must win this!" -> players becomes self-concious and nervous.

Weimann also looked to suffer from this, being physically not completely recovered also takes it's toll from the head so he probably wasn't at his sharpest, same for Benteke.

I expect next game to be better again since win should give some confidence, especially if southampton loses or draws so they would stay behind us.

We played at a mediocre level last night - nothing like we played against United. It looked like hoofball for a large percentage of the game. But i'm really glad we won, now onto getting a result against QPR!

yeah we were poor in areas where against the big sides we've just played we were very strong, which just has to be pressure and nerves mixed with inexperience i'd say. fair to say we can expect another nervy display away at qpr but a point there and a point against stoke will mean 5 points from 3 games and if we keep tat ratio up we'll be more than fine.

as for the "average schedule" comment above, we got 7 from a possible 15 from sunderland, man u, man city, arsenal and reading. maybe 3 poorer sides and two strong one's would be average, i think 7 from 15 in that run of games is pretty good to be fair.

I think we will improve as the season goes on - but if it doesn't then you have to look at the question of 'are there 3 teams worse than us?'.

QPR look awful, but a new manager will pick them up - just depends if Harry can manage a team of showponies and get them to join the dog fight.

Southampton can score, but can't defend. When you can score goals you've always got a chance.

Reading look pretty average. Defend OK and attack OK, but are devoid of any real class.

Sunderland have great players, but just aren't playing well, struggling to score and when you can't score goals you're always going to be in trouble. Will this last? I can't see a team with Sessegnon, Fletcher and Adam Johnson going without goals for too much longer.

Swansea had a good start but I can see them getting dragged back.

Wigan are Wigan. They'll get out of it, they always do.

And then there's us - good, young players, finding their feet in the league. Lacking experience hugely though, and the more nervous our position in the league, the more nervous we play. One good run could see us safe but the longer we are towards the bottom the less likely we look to pick up points. Everyone is talking about surviving until January, but I don't think we can expect reinforcements in January, only squad players to help with the fatigue.

All in all, it's gonna be a tough one to call this year.

• Like 1

I thought we played all right tonight - good in patches and pretty nervy at other times.

One thing for sure is we look much more solid with current set up and even capable of scoring the odd goal.

I think we will start to slowly creep up the table - league is so damn tough though unless we get someone who makes a big difference in Jan (which I think it unlikely) it is still going to be tight as come the end of the season.

Nerves had a big impact last night IMHO. It was the youngest Villa PL team ever according to someone on twitter? You could tell they knew how important this game was and it really seemed to hinder them - especially in the first half.

Either the goal, or else Stephen Ireland coming on, or a combination of both really seemed to lift the team and there were fewer mistakes and more authority about how we played. Hopefully they can carry some of that into the QPR game.

It will be a rocky old season for us no doubt and relegation worries will persist well into March I think. But I also think we will get out of it and I do think there are at least 4 teams worse than us

QPR may pick up, they may even beat us on the weekend to be honest, but Redknobb has a huge task to get them out of the shite this year do not underestimate the number of points they have to make up whilst other teams have to be taking no points from games. I think they will go.

Reading, well they were poor last night and whilst people may say so were we (I do not accept it by the way) well we can and will improve, for Reading I cannot see them performing much better more often

Southampton just do not have enough squad strength, matbe attractiveish and maybe scoring goals but they are not this years Swansea

Norwich, maybe on a decent run but similar to Reading for me in that I think this is their peak and I do not think they can carry this run on for the rest of the season, they will struggle come January February and then when they are in the mix big style that will have an impact

Wigan as someone has said are Wigan and remind me so much of Coventry in their day. A team that annoyingly refuse to get relegated no matter how much they deserve it of how much it should happen, but they will be in the mix no doubt

Blunderland, it pains me to say it but there is something not right at that club and it has just not clicked for MON there. As long as he remains the more chance they have of staying in the shit

Wet Spam, I can see them getting dragged into the dogfight as the winter progresses, dont ask why just a feeling

So for me there is a case for us finishing above all of these clubs and with that many in the mix I am fairly confident that despite the rocky nature of our season (as it was always going to be) we will not get relegated

After watching last night's game i feel Reading will go down. They just haven't got enough quality to score enough goals to stay up. That leaves two places left for the trap door. Southampton are better than us going forward and will score goals. I therefore think they have just enough going forward to be safe. Wigan also play enough good football and have enough threat going forward to be safe so it could well be between ourselves, QPR, Norwich and West Ham for for the final two places with Sunderland probably backing MON in January again to keep them up.

My own predictions here are based on current squads and Lambert's current philosophy on purchasing youth but of course those squads may change in January.