• El Ahmadi
    • N'Zogbia
    • Delph
    • Bent
    • Holman
    • Weimann (for Holman 61)
    • Gardner (for N'Zogbia 74)
    • Bannan (for Delph 77)

I'd rather not have a honeymoon period with Lambert and be lured into the false pretense that the squad is good enough to last the season only to find out it's not in early October.

Definitely need another winger and a left back. Scott Sinclair would do nicely!

Just got back, very frustrating performance, we kept possession well and passed exactly the way you would hope. But had no cutting edge at all.

There was quite a bit off the ball movement at times, Ireland and Delph did try to thread a few balls through to Bent but West Ham defended well and in numbers.

Positives:

I was really impressed with Delph, Vlaar and KEA and the way we passed and kept possession.

Negatives

Sometimes we actually needed to be more direct, mainly because we had absolutely no width. Holman didn't offer much and none of the subs had much impact. Everytime Nzog got on the ball he had three West Ham players running into him, Lambert should have moved him further forward or on different side as he was totally wasted - and some of that blame obviously lies with the player himself but it was like they knew he was the danger man and just marked him out of the game.

I think we will have more impact against less physical sides you play less ugly, although West Ham were good value for their win based on their second half play.

I don't know if it's already been discussed but I can't believe Lichaj didn't play? Is he injured? Baker and Lowton were ok but again offered nothing going forward

Funny how all Collins did was blunder into tackles and hoof it yet they gave him man of the match!!!!

Anyway as people on here i'm sure have already said, we desperately need either more full backs to provide more width or wingers. I'm sure Lambert will give Carruthers a try when fit, but we lack bodies badly.

To those who want to slate or praise Ireland, he did ok, just there was no room down the centre to thread or send over a high ball as West Ham really defended close and in numbers, the only way we could have got a goal was through width and crosses and we had neither.

I actually think it's a good job McLeish was so cagey last season at times, if we'd tried to attack we still wouldn't have scored and would just have left ourselves more exposed to losing games.
Hi Alex :P

Maybe you should look at your previous posts then.
The posts where I specifically stated that it wasn't entirely his fault?

Maybe you should read them more carefully.

Nope, the posts where you stated having one of the worst managers was mainly the reason why we did so badly last season and where you didnt mention it could have been due to our poor squad.

Yes, the main reason, not the only reason. I actually did mention that the squad isn't blameless either.

You don't like it when other people put words into your mouth and make assumptions from things that you did not say so why are you doing it to me? I never said McLeish was the only reason and I never said the squad was good. Fact.

I actually think it's a good job McLeish was so cagey last season at times, if we'd tried to attack we still wouldn't have scored and would just have left ourselves more exposed to losing games.

No doubting he's a poor manager, but he's a poor, defensive minded manager. If we'd had a poor manager trying to play attacking football, judging by today that might just have done for us.

His negativity was one of the things that made him so poor. If we had gone for it more last season we may have lost a few more and drawn a few less but we'd also have won a few more as well.

Ive said it to alot of people before the season started, given what I had seen in the pre season matches - we're going to struggle to score many goals, at least for the first couple of months of the season. I have no doubt it'll fall into place eventually, but I do expect us to have a few more repeats of performances like this one, especially away from home, and definitely before Bent is fully fit, cos I still don't think he is.

Based purely on today....

Is Bent too much of a Luxury player for us?

In fact our best attacking force is rather light weight, luxury, when it comes to getting the ball back.

Back to Bent, yes he can score. But what does his lack of assistance in the buildup cost us in overall attacking opportunities?

Lucky for us, PL knows a lot more about footie than me!

But I think Owen, Keane and Johnson would strengthen our attacking options massively on a day like today.

But let's face it, we were toothless.

Last point, how hard was it to support the team in bright green against the team in a villa kit! Lucky it's only a couple of time per year!

Nope, the posts where you stated having one of the worst managers was mainly the reason why we did so badly last season and where you didnt mention it could have been due to our poor squad.

Yes, the main reason, not the only reason. I actually did mention that the squad isn't blameless either.

You don't like it when other people put words into your mouth and make assumptions from things that you did not say so why are you doing it to me? I never said McLeish was the only reason and I never said the squad was good. Fact.

No doubting he's a poor manager, but he's a poor, defensive minded manager. If we'd had a poor manager trying to play attacking football, judging by today that might just have done for us.

His negativity was one of the things that made him so poor. If we had gone for it more last season we may have lost a few more and drawn a few less but we'd also have won a few more as well.

Mantis I have not tried to put words in your mouth, I've referred to your opinion on why you thought we were poor last season. Clearly it was more to do with our poor squad and as I remember correctly, you blamed Mcleish's tactics for our lack of goals last season. No goals today again so is that now Lambert's fault, or is it the fact that our players are simply not good enough which I have debated with you?

conclusions from today

1. Wearing my long sleeve away shirt on a ridiculously hot day was interesting but will serve me well in the winter months.

2. The football we played at times was nice, but far too tippy tappy in the final third. With confidence, this may change.

3. We need a left back, despite how well Baker played.

4. We need a striker who can ruffle defenders up OR can either link up with the midfield.

5. I don't like West Ham, especially their fans, boring club.

6. Keep the faith, Lambert will be good!

FWIW, if PL went to Lerner and said he wanted a certain player, I think the funds would be there.

I think that's a very optimistic way of looking at our situation.

I can't believe for one second that an intelligent manager like lambert, a good judge of talent like lambert, has chosen not to bring more players in. Especially in the Lb position.

Yet an intelligent man would come to a club that was not going to give him the tools to do the job

I would imagine Lamberts on more money here and also I'd imagine he will get more money over the next few years than he would at norwich. That doesn't mean that there are big funds sitting there right now for him to use but he just chooses not to.

I believe there is money to spend on players I just think Lerner is forcing him to get players off the wage bill before spending it. I hope though that the budget given to ka very is going to to be acceptable.

Mantis I have not tried to put words in your mouth, I've referred to your opinion on why you thought we were poor last season. Clearly it was more to do with our poor squad and as I remember correctly, you blamed Mcleish's tactics for our lack of goals last season. No goals today again so is that now Lambert's fault, or is it the fact that our players are simply not good enough which I have debated with you?

Try as much as you like, but you did it. I said McLeish was the main reason, I never said he was the only reason.

You don't always score every game. If we're like this for the rest of the season then yeah I'll blame Lambert.

Thought we held the ball and passed it well for first 15-20 minutes and then the heat must have hit cos we just got tired.

Holman looked lost.

Nzogbia just seem to give the ball away.

Ireland's passes and touches were good but noone seems to be on his wavelength. Then he seems lazy.

Bent doesn't get the through balls he needs to run onto.

Delph played quite well as did kea but the 2 of them just sat in front of the back four which meant we only ever had 5 players to pass to going forward. Think that's why we kept going backward.

No width is a real concern and no disrespect to lowton or baker but they couldn't cross themselves today.

Vlaar and Clarke handled pretty much everything James Collins hoofed up to them, though vlaar was lucky not to giveaway a pen in second half

Also has given been told not to kick the ball out long or is he injured?

Some encouraging signs. But more players needed.

Plus it was bloody hot there today. And their grounds a shithole!

Vlaar man of the match for me.

Try as much as you like, but you did it. I said McLeish was the main reason, I never said he was the only reason.

You don't always score every game. If we're like this for the rest of the season then yeah I'll blame Lambert.

So the general opinion from people who were at the game today is wrong then?

Come off it Mantis. You don't need to see another full season of our forward play to assertain that our forward line is simply not good enough. Rather fudge the debate again than actually admit when your wrong.

Which takes me back to putting words in one's mouth. If you view our previous debates, you more than anyone else on this site is guilty of replying to what suits your debate rather than what is actually said.

Â