• El Ahmadi
    • N'Zogbia
    • Delph
    • Bent
    • Holman
    • Weimann (for Holman 61)
    • Gardner (for N'Zogbia 74)
    • Bannan (for Delph 77)

I think in hindsight there were probably two too many debutants out there. maybe Lichaj was the better option for rb today and Holman might have been better kept on ice for later in the game when the opposition tired a bit.

Holman looked a bit taken aback by the pace of the game and probably needs some time to come to terms with it.

I think one of our major problems going forward is lack of width. We desperately need a wide attacker and a striker to help keep the ball up in the final third.

Yep spot on, although there weren't too many options in terms of starting personnel.

I think a good left back will make a big difference as Baker offered very little, especially going forwards. I'm sure we're not far from signing one either.

The first day of the season has far more variables to contend with than any other game in the calendar. We looked lacklustre, but there were some positives too.

We're rebuilding a team and that doesn't come together in a single transfer window. A few more players of quality will see us up our game immensely, and Vlaar, Holman and KEA will get even more familiar with the league in the next few games too.

That was shite, get your **** cheque book out Lerner, it's not like you're skint or owt is it..

Has it occurred to anyone that the cheque book is open, but the manager hasn't decided to use it yet?

There's a lot of new faces to come for many clubs in the next couple of weeks.

There were things to be encouraged about - KEA looks like a clever player, Delph showed flashes of why we signed him, Vlaar could be the new Ronald Koeman, and in Lowton we have a full back with pace.

Now we need a left back, a second good striker and an incisive winger/attacking midfielder. We don't look too far off being a reasonable side. Only budget will determine just how far it really is.

I think we'll see quite a different starting XI come September, and even more so after January.

I said before that I wouldn't have been surprised with any result today. There were positives and there were negatives, but perhaps the most encouraging thing is that we have a manager that will analyse that performance and address the issues.

Let's not forget that this was Paul Lambert's first competitive game in charge against real opposition. I'm sure the transfer window stays open beyond the start of the season as it allows the managers to cement their thoughts in pre season when buying players, after seeing the squad in play in the league.

If Lambert wanted a few million quid to spend and hope for mid table year on year, he would've stayed at Naaaarwich. I'm sure we weren't his only suitor either, so he must have had a reason to come to Villa as I'm sure other clubs could've matched his new salary.

It's clear what we need in the squad and I'm sure Lambert will be backed in order to get them.

Roll on the next game and UTV!

This

There were things to be encouraged about - KEA looks like a clever player, Delph showed flashes of why we signed him, Vlaar could be the new Ronald Koeman, and in Lowton we have a full back with pace.

Now we need a left back, a second good striker and an incisive winger/attacking midfielder. We don't look too far off being a reasonable side. Only budget will determine just how far it really is.

I think we'll see quite a different starting XI come September, and even more so after January.

I said before that I wouldn't have been surprised with any result today. There were positives and there were negatives, but perhaps the most encouraging thing is that we have a manager that will analyse that performance and address the issues.

Let's not forget that this was Paul Lambert's first competitive game in charge against real opposition. I'm sure the transfer window stays open beyond the start of the season as it allows the managers to cement their thoughts in pre season when buying players, after seeing the squad in play in the league.

If Lambert wanted a few million quid to spend and hope for mid table year on year, he would've stayed at Naaaarwich. I'm sure we weren't his only suitor either, so he must have had a reason to come to Villa as I'm sure other clubs could've matched his new salary.

It's clear what we need in the squad and I'm sure Lambert will be backed in order to get them.

Roll on the next game and UTV!

This

The Twilight Zone.

That was shite, get your **** cheque book out Lerner, it's not like you're skint or owt is it..

Has it occurred to anyone that the cheque book is open, but the manager hasn't decided to use it yet?

And what makes you think that there is money available, proper money for DECENT quality players, available?

Because I'll tell you what I see. I see a club which hung about and fought for loopholes to get a new manager for free. It then waited, and used loopholes to get his support staff in for free. After a free transfer signing and two low cost arrivals, waited until it sold James Collins until it could bring in Vlaar - nearly pissing him off in the process.

I see a club currently making redundancies.

That, to me, is why I think there is no money to spend.

We are still playing that awful 4-5-1 formation. Sure we may be tippy-tappying it around today, but for all the soundbytes about attacking football, we still had nil goals, nil points.

WBA went down playing 'pretty' football. I suppose the problem is you need more than a couple of decent players to play 'winning' football.

And what makes you think that there is money available, proper money for DECENT quality players, available?

Because I'll tell you what I see. I see a club which hung about and fought for loopholes to get a new manager for free. It then waited, and used loopholes to get his support staff in for free. After a free transfer signing and two low cost arrivals, waited until it sold James Collins until it could bring in Vlaar - nearly pissing him off in the process.

but Richard says the manager will be backed :winkold:

Has it occurred to you that you might be wrong?

However if you're in the know and have some inside knowledge, then maybe you'd like to share that with us..

For me, I think there are indications that there is money to spend. Bear in mind that this is as much of a guess as those who say there isn't but the key points are as follows.

Firstly, the manager himself. We have one of the most promising young managers in the league. He was in a very safe and comfortable job in Norwich but is obviously a very ambitious character. He's not going to be able to fulfill those ambitions at Villa if he's not going to be backed by the chairman.

He will also realise that if the terms at Villa we're to match his ambitions, it's just a case of biding his time and a free-spending club will come knocking (if they hadn't already), so that fact that he's here at all suggests he'll be backed.

Secondly, we've just made a high-profile appointment heading up our European scouting network. What would be the point of hiring a highly paid and experienced chap if there's no money to buy any identified targets?

Thirdly, we've bought players late into the window in the past. Milner was a deadline day purchase IIRC..

Fourthly, we need more players. Anyone can see it and this loops back into point one - Lambert wouldn't be here to bobble along with our lacklustre squad without backing.

People talk about 'sell to buy' being the need to sell the likes of Hutton and Warnock before we can buy anyone. I don't believe it's as black and white as that as if Warnock, for example, is still here in September, I still think we'll have a new left-back.

I think the difference will be in who we are able to buy.

Hutton and Warnock still here allows us to buy from a list B, but sell one or both of them, then we can shop from list A.

That's why I think the manager hasn't concluded all his shopping yet.

Has it occurred to you that you might be wrong?

However if you're in the know and have some inside knowledge, then maybe you'd like to share that with us..

Course I could be wrong, I'm just saying it's a possibility and until the end of the window we can all speculate.

FWIW, if PL went to Lerner and said he wanted a certain player, I think the funds would be there.

We are still playing that awful 4-5-1 formation. Sure we may be tippy-tappying it around today, but for all the soundbytes about attacking football, we still had nil goals, nil points.

WBA went down playing 'pretty' football. I suppose the problem is you need more than a couple of decent players to play 'winning' football.

Are you seriously saying that exploring loopholes that allowed us to get Lambert and his staff for free is a bad thing?

Answer me this... What did Aston Villa offer PL and his staff in order to get them to leave their comfortable posts at Norwich?

I dont like losing.

There was a few steps forward though. I love the WAY Lambert is trying to get us playing. It is attractive and modern, thumbs up.

Problem is, the players are wrong together, no matter how decent they look we just need new ones. Its a shame but Lambert still has to shift / bring in a few key roles. Midfield remains the biggest problem I would like to see two new ones, then a LB at least. We could use a decent striker/forward as well.

Sad but thats the way i see it 8(

Â