• El Ahmadi
    • N'Zogbia
    • Delph
    • Bent
    • Holman
    • Weimann (for Holman 61)
    • Gardner (for N'Zogbia 74)
    • Bannan (for Delph 77)

I actually think it's a good job McLeish was so cagey last season at times, if we'd tried to attack we still wouldn't have scored and would just have left ourselves more exposed to losing games.
Hi Alex :P

No doubting he's a poor manager, but he's a poor, defensive minded manager. If we'd had a poor manager trying to play attacking football, judging by today that might just have done for us.

A lot of over reactions.

There was good and bad; Vlar, and our opening half hour being the main good.

We did look a little flat but it is hard sometimes against the Home Adrenalin of a newly promoted Club. May have been very different had we scored early - phycologically these players have an awful lot to get out their system safter the stifling negativity of Mcleish. It isn't easy to make committed forward runs through midfield which is needed with this system.

I dont understand the panic over buying, PL is no fool, and there are obviously a lot of complications to getting people in.

The only thing that did suprise/dissappoint me was the lack of width from the Fullbacks pushing on - neither of them played there under Mcleish, and we saw in pre-season they were encouraged to go forward, so I would be interested what happened there.

I actually think it's a good job McLeish was so cagey last season at times, if we'd tried to attack we still wouldn't have scored and would just have left ourselves more exposed to losing games.

Finally some sense on here.

Finally some sense on here.

Ever heard the expression " Nothing ventured nothing gained"

If i had my way as a manager of AV i would put Vlaar as a DM (when Dunn was fit) and make him captain, he was by far the best player for villa and far better than Collins.

Somebody needs to do the DM role not only for protection but also to bring some shape, balance and structure to a side that appears to have none

Hi Alex :P

Maybe you should look at your previous posts then.
The posts where I specifically stated that it wasn't entirely his fault?

Maybe you should read them more carefully.

Nope, the posts where you stated having one of the worst managers was mainly the reason why we did so badly last season and where you didnt mention it could have been due to our poor squad.

The only thing that did suprise/dissappoint me was the lack of width from the Fullbacks pushing on - neither of them played there under Mcleish, and we saw in pre-season they were encouraged to go forward, so I would be interested what happened there.

At LB we had a 6 foot 2 defender who if he is given a chance in the first team (which I don't think he's ready for) should be at centre back. At RB we had someone who, judging by his crossing today when he did get forward, will take a while to make the step up to this level if he does.

Great opening 25 minutes when we actually passed the ball around effectively. Delph was busting a gut at one point which was encouraging. Obviously a lot of work to do in the final third focusing on Bent's supply line.

Our style was so different to last season. Poor result but I can take positives from a team with four players making their debut that tried to play football.

I have never been so hot at a game. Leicester about 15 years ago at Filbert Street maybe. Sweet Jebus but it was a sweaty old affair.

We looked devoid of ideas after getting to the final third. The squad needs improvements, but then we knew that before today anyway. Still it was a bit disappointing that we lacked any cutting edge.

I thought defensively we looked fine. Vlaar seems excellent to me. So composed.

I thought Vlaar overall did ok but he reminded me a bit of David Luiz in his first season at Chelsea

He's going to need some time to adapt to the PL

I'd make him captain over bent though

Â