• El Ahmadi
    • N'Zogbia
    • Delph
    • Bent
    • Holman
    • Weimann (for Holman 61)
    • Gardner (for N'Zogbia 74)
    • Bannan (for Delph 77)

There were things to be encouraged about - KEA looks like a clever player, Delph showed flashes of why we signed him, Vlaar could be the new Ronald Koeman, and in Lowton we have a full back with pace.

Now we need a left back, a second good striker and an incisive winger/attacking midfielder. We don't look too far off being a reasonable side. Only budget will determine just how far it really is.

Id say we are a million miles away from being decent, we need a RB,LB,CB, 2 midfielders, 2 wide men and another striker.

7 players hsort of being any good.

Lowton and Baker as full backs are no better than Hutton and Warnock. Probably a tad worse if truth be told

There were things to be encouraged about - KEA looks like a clever player, Delph showed flashes of why we signed him, Vlaar could be the new Ronald Koeman, and in Lowton we have a full back with pace.

Now we need a left back, a second good striker and an incisive winger/attacking midfielder. We don't look too far off being a reasonable side. Only budget will determine just how far it really is.

Id say we are a million miles away from being decent, we need a RB,LB,CB, 2 midfielders, 2 wide men and another striker.

Lowton and Baker as full backs are no better than Hutton and Warnock. Probably a tad worse if truth be told

A lot cheaper in the weekly pay cheque mind you...

I think new (quality) fullbacks will make a big difference, especially in the attacking sense.

you have easily forgotten how poor warnock and hutton were then. we got done from 1 set piece today when everyone stopped because of the linesman flagging (although they shouldnt have - play to the whistle). aside from that we dealt pretty easily with everything west ham did. defense wasnt the problem today.

we had no cutting edge in the final third, and that is the big worry.

A lot cheaper in the weekly pay cheque mind you...

I think new (quality) fullbacks will make a big difference, especially in the attacking sense.

yeah, if your going to play a narrow midfield you need full backs that get forward. I was gobsmacked when Baker was picked and Lowtons crossing ability looks as bad as Huttons. Thats the risk in buying league 1 players though.

While they are on the books I would rather start with Hutton and Warnock in the next game

FWIW, if PL went to Lerner and said he wanted a certain player, I think the funds would be there.

I think that's a very optimistic way of looking at our situation.

I can't believe for one second that an intelligent manager like lambert, a good judge of talent like lambert, has chosen not to bring more players in. Especially in the Lb position.

That was shite, get your **** cheque book out Lerner, it's not like you're skint or owt is it..

Has it occurred to anyone that the cheque book is open, but the manager hasn't decided to use it yet?

There's a lot of new faces to come for many clubs in the next couple of weeks.

And what makes you think that there is money available, proper money for DECENT quality players, available?

Because I'll tell you what I see. I see a club which hung about and fought for loopholes to get a new manager for free. It then waited, and used loopholes to get his support staff in for free. After a free transfer signing and two low cost arrivals, waited until it sold James Collins until it could bring in Vlaar - nearly pissing him off in the process.

I see a club currently making redundancies.

That, to me, is why I think there is no money to spend.

For me, I think there are indications that there is money to spend. Bear in mind that this is as much of a guess as those who say there isn't but the key points are as follows.

Firstly, the manager himself. We have one of the most promising young managers in the league. He was in a very safe and comfortable job in Norwich but is obviously a very ambitious character. He's not going to be able to fulfill those ambitions at Villa if he's not going to be backed by the chairman.

He will also realise that if the terms at Villa we're to match his ambitions, it's just a case of biding his time and a free-spending club will come knocking (if they hadn't already), so that fact that he's here at all suggests he'll be backed.

Secondly, we've just made a high-profile appointment heading up our European scouting network. What would be the point of hiring a highly paid and experienced chap if there's no money to buy any identified targets?

Thirdly, we've bought players late into the window in the past. Milner was a deadline day purchase IIRC..

Fourthly, we need more players. Anyone can see it and this loops back into point one - Lambert wouldn't be here to bobble along with our lacklustre squad without backing.

People talk about 'sell to buy' being the need to sell the likes of Hutton and Warnock before we can buy anyone. I don't believe it's as black and white as that as if Warnock, for example, is still here in September, I still think we'll have a new left-back.

I think the difference will be in who we are able to buy.

Hutton and Warnock still here allows us to buy from a list B, but sell one or both of them, then we can shop from list A.

That's why I think the manager hasn't concluded all his shopping yet.

What a super well thought out , reasoned and rational post, it almost looks out of place!

Vlaar was man of the match for me, strong and sensible, otherwise we played dire football, one pass forward two passes back. Maybe Lambert should consider playing Vlaar as a DM he shows a lot of promise attacking as well as defending. There was no service to Benty and i think Delph needs to go and do some work on his ability to hold a ball and pass forward. Also great news for thoose of us that hate the Pool, can't wait to see MOTD tonight, WELL DONE BAGGIES you made my day brighter.

FWIW, if PL went to Lerner and said he wanted a certain player, I think the funds would be there.

I can't believe for one second that an intelligent manager like lambert, a good judge of talent like lambert, has chosen not to bring more players in. Especially in the Lb position.

Yet an intelligent man would come to a club that was not going to give him the tools to do the job

Just back from the game (at Rococo), phew it was hot and jammed in there. Anyway I was driving so was on soft drinks so able to fully take in the game.

Well, we were abysmal, it was embarrassing at times. I don't blame lambert, he simply doesn't have the players. We don't look PL quality anymore. I think the last two years have really caught up with the club.

Time to write some big cheques Mr Lerner.

This squad is not capable of holding its own in this division.

It doesn't matter who is in charge, if the tools to work with are blunt and useless then the best craftsman in the world will fail.

PS It will take a long while to undo the damage that the ginger one caused.

Yet an intelligent man would come to a club that was not going to give him the tools to do the job

Exactly. A canny fella like Lambert wouldn't leave his comfortable job for the first club to come knocking.

He knows that if the terms weren't right then he could just stay at Norwich or assess other offers.

He'll be in a different spotlight here at VP, and he's not about to tarnish his reputation by coming to a club that won't give him the tools to do his job. He looks pretty no-nonsense too, so wouldn't expect him to stick around had Lerner moved the goalposts after joining.

The transfer window isn't over yet! For God's sake at least wait until the end before assuming that Randy isn't backing Lambert.

Same as last season which pretty much blows the theory out of the water that last season was down to our previous manager. Our squad isn't good enough and we are relegation candidates unless quality players are brought in now.

Same as last season which pretty much blows the theory out of the water that last season was down to our previous manager. Our squad isn't good enough and we are relegation candidates unless quality players are brought in now.
Not really. It's only the first game and Lambert's implementing a new style.

Nobody thinks that last season was solely down to McLeish. I don't know where people are getting this from.

I actually think it's a good job McLeish was so cagey last season at times, if we'd tried to attack we still wouldn't have scored and would just have left ourselves more exposed to losing games.
Hi Alex :P

Maybe you should look at your previous posts then.
The posts where I specifically stated that it wasn't entirely his fault?

Maybe you should read them more carefully.

Â