• N'Zogbia
    • Delph
    • Bent
    • Holman
    • Weimann (for Holman 61)
    • Gardner (for N'Zogbia 74)
    • Bannan (for Delph 77)

Given - 5

Did not really have to do much, but could not stop the goal when it mattered the most.

Baker - 5

Looked very slow late on, but was not the worst player in the team. Just a plain poor game in a position he is not familiar

Vlaar - 6

Our best player as the game went on. Was clumsy as times, but when I feared he was going to get nervous he started to boss his game

Clark - 5

Poor performance really, shaky and lack of composure. Mistimed his tackles and rushed out of position at times

Lowton - 4

Gave the ball away a lot and made headless runs when he was never going to get the ball. Looked a bit unfinished for this league, which is only expected I am afraid

Holman - 3

Runs a lot and looks interested, it is just that is not a very good footballer. Every pass wobbles away, every run is a bit late and he never looks to have time on the ball

Delph - 5

I think he was OK in the first half, but then he was poor in the second one and rightly subbed. Had a few good runs and tried to create something, but nothing happened

El Ahmadi - 5

Stuttered around, losing the ball a few times in dangerous positions. Just invisible in the second half, but one could see that he has something to offer (I hope)

Ireland - 3

Did nothing to create a single chance, do not know if it was a collective problem that made him look shit or if he just had a very poor day as well

Bent - 3

Not his fault really, but I cannot give him anything else than a 3 when he touches the ball around four times during 90 minutes.

N'Zogbia - 4

Impossible to do anything when there are no runs up top and no back-up for him. But when he did handle the ball he looked very mediocre and out of confidence

Subs:

Bannan - Did not see him other than a horrible pass down the left corridor

Weimann - Did not do anything worth mentioning

Gardner - Same as the other ones really

Well we started brightly but the last 75 minutes were amongst the worst I have ever seen as a fan for Aston Villa. Early days of course, but I doubt West Ham (a very poor team mind) will let in goals in most of their home games and at least get numerous chances against him. Very disappointed in the way we showed a lack of commitment and a lack of plans when our passing game was found out after 15 minutes and neutralized. Was so happy the season started, but now the feeling is just that we have a very poor team that, like I mentioned the other day, can easily struggle with relegation this season. Lowton and Holman looked too poor for this division, El Ahmadi looked like a he can develop into a good player (but certainly not a world-beater) and Vlaar was ok. We need to buy at least 3-4 players or the season is over before it ever started, at least in terms of finishing top 10.

For me, Ron Vlaar was MOTM.

It was a positive start to the game and we looked very neat and tidy for much of it but we just couldn't seem to manufacture anything - all game. I was impressed with some of Delphs forward through balls but at times, players seemed far to close to each other playing crab passes from side to side. When we did go forward, besides Delph on a few occasions, balls were wayward and there was little out wide for any sort of cross field/diagnonal balls. We definitely need to come into a game like that in future with a broader game plan as todays just didn't work.

First Impressions:

I thought Ron Vlaar was very good, looked like he wanted to have a go even everything didn't go his way during the game. I also think on a few occasions he was a bit unlucky with decisions for Carlton Cole. KEA, looked neat and tidy but I think he might have played a little within himself. Still, I was impressed and think nerves are always going to feature. I'd also say the same Lowton. I was less impressed with Holman, thought he was very sloppy in possession at times and he also seems to rush everything. It's the first game so obviously very early to judge. I expect there is better to come and possibly a couple more faces to aid that.

First reasonable post of the thread.

Not the end of the world. He wasnt going to make us world beaters in his first competitive match. The play was better, he needs new players and he will get new players

You could take 11 VTer's and they could pass the ball around as much as Villa did today. West Ham sat back and let us have the ball in our own half so wasn't difficult to make a few passes and look good. It's what happens in the opponents half that matters and we were very poor. Same as last years; no ideas what to do when we attack.

Manager's tactics of playing narrow and trying to go through Collins in the middle. Everyone knows on here we are playing to his strengths when we do that why doesn't PL. Why in the world we didn't play wide and pull him out of position because that's when he makes mistakes. Must of been part of the transfer fee; a parting gift of MOTM.

Given 5 - little to do

Baker 4 - looked out of place, which he was

Vlaar 6 - did his bit but surrounded by a lack of quality

Clark 5 - tough asignment but disappointing for me

Lowton 5 - really needs to get down the flanks and support more

Ireland 5 - started well but faded as WHU got physical

El Ahmadi 6 - 5 for first ten minutes, 1 for rest - needs to do more

Delph 4 - full of bad habits - way too negative - RUN FFS !!!

N'Zogbia 3 - poor again, must be running out of time now

Holman 6 - honest worker, always looking to shoot, ran out of steam

Bent 2 - didn't get much service but offered no variety - get rid now !

Keep faith with the manager but we need a couple of experienced heads in there and we really need to call time very soon now on the likes of NZogbia and Bent ..... they are just not good enough.

Given - 5

Did not really have to do much, but could not stop the goal when it mattered the most.

Baker - 5

Looked very slow late on, but was not the worst player in the team. Just a plain poor game in a position he is not familiar

Vlaar - 6

Our best player as the game went on. Was clumsy as times, but when I feared he was going to get nervous he started to boss his game

Clark - 5

Poor performance really, shaky and lack of composure. Mistimed his tackles and rushed out of position at times

Lowton - 4

Gave the ball away a lot and made headless runs when he was never going to get the ball. Looked a bit unfinished for this league, which is only expected I am afraid

Holman - 3

Runs a lot and looks interested, it is just that is not a very good footballer. Every pass wobbles away, every run is a bit late and he never looks to have time on the ball

Delph - 5

I think he was OK in the first half, but then he was poor in the second one and rightly subbed. Had a few good runs and tried to create something, but nothing happened

El Ahmadi - 5

Stuttered around, losing the ball a few times in dangerous positions. Just invisible in the second half, but one could see that he has something to offer (I hope)

Ireland - 3

Did nothing to create a single chance, do not know if it was a collective problem that made him look shit or if he just had a very poor day as well

Bent - 3

Not his fault really, but I cannot give him anything else than a 3 when he touches the ball around four times during 90 minutes.

N'Zogbia - 4

Impossible to do anything when there are no runs up top and no back-up for him. But when he did handle the ball he looked very mediocre and out of confidence

Subs:

Bannan - Did not see him other than a horrible pass down the left corridor

Weimann - Did not do anything worth mentioning

Gardner - Same as the other ones really

Well we started brightly but the last 75 minutes were amongst the worst I have ever seen as a fan for Aston Villa. Early days of course, but I doubt West Ham (a very poor team mind) will let in goals in most of their home games and at least get numerous chances against him. Very disappointed in the way we showed a lack of commitment and a lack of plans when our passing game was found out after 15 minutes and neutralized. Was so happy the season started, but now the feeling is just that we have a very poor team that, like I mentioned the other day, can easily struggle with relegation this season. Lowton and Holman looked too poor for this division, El Ahmadi looked like a he can develop into a good player (but certainly not a world-beater) and Vlaar was ok. We need to buy at least 3-4 players or the season is over before it ever started, at least in terms of finishing top 10.

I think we need another 3-4 players to guarantee staying up

You could take 11 VTer's and they could pass the ball around as much as Villa did today.

This might be the largest overestimation of a group I've ever seen. You could take 11 VT'ers and get through five or six cases of booze and a couple of carton of fags sure, but physical exercise?

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert, following his side's 1-0 loss at West Ham: "We started the game really well but never really created as much as we wanted to. I couldn't fault the effort. We will pick ourselves up and go again. There is a long way to go and we'll see what happens."

Sounds like a couple of managers we have had recently.

Given 5 - little to do

Baker 4 - looked out of place, which he was

Vlaar 6 - did his bit but surrounded by a lack of quality

Clark 5 - tough asignment but disappointing for me

Lowton 5 - really needs to get down the flanks and support more

Ireland 5 - started well but faded as WHU got physical

El Ahmadi 6 - 5 for first ten minutes, 1 for rest - needs to do more

Delph 4 - full of bad habits - way too negative - RUN FFS !!!

N'Zogbia 3 - poor again, must be running out of time now

Holman 6 - honest worker, always looking to shoot, ran out of steam

Bent 2 - didn't get much service but offered no variety - get rid now !

Keep faith with the manager but we need a couple of experienced heads in there and we really need to call time very soon now on the likes of NZogbia and Bent ..... they are just not good enough.

I thought i was going over the top, but this is taking the piss. Selling Bent is going to do NOTHING.

You could take 11 VTer's and they could pass the ball around as much as Villa did today.

This might be the largest overestimation of a group I've ever seen. You could take 11 VT'ers and get through five or six cases of booze and a couple of carton of fags sure, but physical exercise?

Okay, a little bit of an overstatement; we would only need 5 lol. :lol:

Anyone who thinks James Collins was actually the 'motm' today is deranged, he hoofed and headed his way out of everything (where have we seen that before?) It was given to him as WHAM beat us and we'd given them loads of stick over signing him. We would do it with an opposition if given the chance.

I thought we kept the ball well, but didnt do much going forward (as mentioned alot) we must sign a striker to help Bent. He cannot keep us up on his own. Thought the new midfield did well, but Bent doesn't move enough to allow them to slip him in, its a team game and we lacked cohesion in the final third today.

Defensively, it was a baptism of fire for Vlaar and Clark. They dealt well with the barrage of hoofs Sam's team threw at us, but we got found out on one occasion. Let's stop the comparisons to last season and look to the future. We are a work in progress and need time to gel and find our feet. Remember this set up is a whole new world to the McLeish style of play.

UTV, roll on Everton next week!

A pathetic display attacking wise which was just as poor as last season in terms of being a goal scoring threat.

We kept the ball well for the first 20 mins but from then on it wasn't too great.

Vlaar looked good and Clark looked ok next to him. Baker was shit but he's not a Lb and Lowton looked very average.

KEA looked pretty average and played some nice stuff. Delph was slightly better just because a few times he actually took a player on and drove the team forward.

Ireland was poor but still looked like the only player who could create anything.

Nzogbia was awful, touch was poor and when he ran with the ball it usually ended up back with west ham.

Holman was terrible.

Bent was nowhere to be seen but not really his fault.

Gardner was absolutely shocking when he came on and weimman did nothing to help us upfront. Bannan showed some nice touches and passing when he came on.

Overall it was basically just as shit as last year but looked better to watch us lose.

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert, following his side's 1-0 loss at West Ham: "We started the game really well but never really created as much as we wanted to. I couldn't fault the effort. We will pick ourselves up and go again. There is a long way to go and we'll see what happens."

I thought the way we set up and the way we played was shocking. I dont know why Lambert has decided to get us playing this way. Its clear our squad has no technical ability and his teams have never played this way previously :?

What did you expect him to say?

Bent - get rid now !

we really need to call time very soon now on the likes of Bent ..... they are just not good enough.

**** hell...

If he's not god the service what do you expect? Bent is one of the last players we should be selling. We need to buy some more creative midfielders.

Anyone who thinks James Collins was actually the 'motm' today is deranged, he hoofed and headed his way out of everything (where have we seen that before?) It was given to him as WHAM beat us and we'd given them loads of stick over signing him. We would do it with an opposition if given the chance.

I thought we kept the ball well, but didnt do much going forward (as mentioned alot) we must sign a striker to help Bent. He cannot keep us up on his own. Thought the new midfield did well, but Bent doesn't move enough to allow them to slip him in, its a team game and we lacked cohesion in the final third today.

Defensively, it was a baptism of fire for Vlaar and Clark. They dealt well with the barrage of hoofs Sam's team threw at us, but we got found out on one occasion. Let's stop the comparisons to last season and look to the future. We are a work in progress and need time to gel and find our feet. Remember this set up is a whole new world to the McLeish style of play.

UTV, roll on Everton next week!

Fabulous post thanks for that

Thought Diame was excellent for West Ham. We need someone like that in our midfield

When he went to West Ham i was annoyed...came on here and bigged him up saying how much we needed him and likened him to Song...i stand by that..he's a great player and intimidating as ****..something only KEA and Delph can only dream of being

Back to the game...

its taken 1 game to remind us all how shit our squad is (just incase we forgot). The first 20 minutes were great, we dominated possession,passed it around and KEA was the conductor...

Given was only passing it to the defence (no hoofs), defence was passing into midfield and it was a breath of fresh air

but we looked like we did under Houllier, trying to be someone we are not because when it got to the front players every attack broke down....

i said before the game that playing narrow was probably our best option coz our wingers are shit, but if wingers are shit on the wing then they are gonna be even shitter inside...

case in point Charles **** N'Zogbia...clearly over the summer he still has refused to learn how to control a ball and pass it to a team mate, or how to use his pace, or use his brain, or take someone on etc etc etc. He is one of the poorest footballers ive ever seen at Villa...

Holman looked like he has been taking tips of N'Zogbia..didn't look prem standard....

our fullbacks were scared to go forward..i thought if we didnt play with wingers we might at least get our full backs forward but they didnt leave there half which just added to the frustration and lack of ideas....

unfortunately when Lowton did get forward late on his crossing was the standard of where he came from...League 1...

the major positives were that apart from Lowton, all of PLs signings looked very good players...Vlaar i thought was MOM, good on the ground and in the air..gonna be a huge fan favourite and KEA is the ball playing midfielder we have lacked so much...

but our squad is soooo poor and we simply have to buy...

Gardner was **** awful when he came on and looks like he is gonna be another overhyped youngster..

and what people still see in Ireland i will never know...

Lambert will be great for us but Lerner has got to give him some more players this month

Â