Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

I have been told Ron, Fab and Gabby are likely to leave the club. :(   Randy is unwilling to break the current financial restraints to offer them improved terms.

Is this the same source that told you that a deal would be completed shortly after our Premier League safety was assured?

• Like 1

I have been told Ron, Fab and Gabby are likely to leave the club. :(   Randy is unwilling to break the current financial restraints to offer them improved terms.

Is this the same source that told you that a deal would be completed shortly after our Premier League safety was assured?

No.

There is no way we would sign Senderos to sit on the bench if he earning 10-15k per week if we couldn't improve Vlaar's contract. That money could have been used to keep our best CB if it was deemed one or the other I reckon we would have done that.

Well I would hope so anyway.

• Like 1

Delph and Agbonlahor are already earning more than they are worth - it would not be difficult to replace them on those salaries - let them go if they think they are that good.

I would be interested to see who would come in for them offering higher salaries.

Vlaar is different, our best player, our most important player, we need to keep him, and need to agree a salary commensurate with his importance.

Apart from being our longest serving player I don't understand why Gabby should be offer a improved terms contract, if he loves the Villa he should just sign for the same as he's getting now.

Delph and Agbonlahor are already earning more than they are worth - it would not be difficult to replace them on those salaries - let them go if they think they are that good.

I would be interested to see who would come in for them offering higher salaries.

Vlaar is different, our best player, our most important player, we need to keep him, and need to agree a salary commensurate with his importance.

Except they are on average PL salaries

The Guardian has Ron on their list of "Don'ts" in their World Cup Transfer Do's and Don't's article:

Ron Vlaar, Holland and Aston Villa

The Villa defender was undoubtedly one of the standout centre-backs in Brazil – which begs the question of whether he has looked unimpressive in the Premier League only due to the standard of his team-mates. Don’t be fooled – Louis van Gaal is a shrewd operator who built a defensive system around Vlaar, often favouring a back three to compensate for the appalling lack of pace. The heat of Brazil and naturally slower rhythm of international football suits the veteran far better than the helter-skelter stylings of English football.

And that's not even taking into account his injury record, which is a bit spotty. I'm certain that neutrals don't rate him as highly as (some) Villa fans do. I'm going to remain positive that we'll be able to hang onto him.

But that's so inaccurate it's not even worth reading

Apart from being our longest serving player I don't understand why Gabby should be offer a improved terms contract, if he loves the Villa he should just sign for the same as he's getting now.

At the risk of wandering too far off topic, I wouldn't even mind if Gabby were offered reduced wages and performance-based bonuses. Motivation appears to be a problem with him. Give him an incentive to bang in say 10 goals a season, if he performs well he'll be paid well. I'm least worried about losing him because 1) he's the least consistent performer of the three and 2) I don't think he'll get many offers elsewhere.

Delph and Vlaar are another matter. Vlaar definitely deserves a raise. I'd like to see Delph at least get an extension at the same pay. Both are very important to us. Delph is just now starting to fulfill his promise, it would be a real shame to lose him and see him go on to fulfill that potential somewhere else.

Shhhhh. We know that. Don't tell the other teams.

The Guardian has Ron on their list of "Don'ts" in their World Cup Transfer Do's and Don't's article:

Ron Vlaar, Holland and Aston Villa

The Villa defender was undoubtedly one of the standout centre-backs in Brazil – which begs the question of whether he has looked unimpressive in the Premier League only due to the standard of his team-mates. Don’t be fooled – Louis van Gaal is a shrewd operator who built a defensive system around Vlaar, often favouring a back three to compensate for the appalling lack of pace. The heat of Brazil and naturally slower rhythm of international football suits the veteran far better than the helter-skelter stylings of English football.

And that's not even taking into account his injury record, which is a bit spotty. I'm certain that neutrals don't rate him as highly as (some) Villa fans do. I'm going to remain positive that we'll be able to hang onto him.
How many times?! Did you not hear the man? Ron "appalling lack of pace" Vlaar is a transfer don't. Edited by ArteSuave

This sounds bad, but even if it's true, it's not really new news. It sounds like they will leave when their contracts expire. Just like at least I have thought for a while already. Our hope is that we get a new owner in a year's time, who will then try to sign them if he sees it fit.

And I also agree with those people who say that Delph and Gabby can go with their current wages. Vlaar is the only one I worry about. So, don't be discouraged by this.

• Like 1

If we really are not prepared to break our current financial restraints to keep our captain and our best player of last season it seems our current owner is prepared to run us into the ground as a football club. These are 3 of the few names we have left at the club and to risk losing all of them would be straight out of the Carson Yeung play book!    

• Like 1

Just sell them if they don't want to sign... 10 mil for Ron 7 mil for Delph and higuest bid for Gabby. Give 20 mil to Lambert to replace them.

Edited by KSV

If they do not want to sign I agree KSV but we need to make a reasonable offer first to know if they are up for staying and we all know that all of the money from any sales will not be given to the manager to spend. 

If they do not want to sign I agree KSV but we need to make a reasonable offer first to know if they are up for staying and we all know that all of the money from any sales will not be given to the manager to spend.

Definitely. Agree 100%. However, I can't see Ron staying if Roma or Man Utd come in. We wont match their offer and even if we did.. he is 29 and probably has CL aspirations. Don't blame him for going. Delph owes us for sticking by him with injury and hes been on a big salary during those years. Gabby wont find a better deal elsewhere so happy for him to look. He may as well take a pay cut and stay than take a pay cut and leave.

Whether Randy gives the money.. who knows. I think he might give player sales to Paul. Its not as if he can pocket it for himself.

Edited by KSV

Vlaar's stock has never been higher and his bargaining position has never been greater. Coming off a stand out World Cup with only one year left on his contract.

I would question his sanity if he wasn't pushing for a big money move to a champions league club. He won't ever get again the kind of offers he will be getting now.

• Like 2

Except they are on average PL salaries

That sounds about right for them.

Why would Vlaar sign a new contract? He just had a brilliant World Cup, has a much bigger global profile now, plays for a club that has almost been relegated in consecutive seasons, that has little money to spend on new players, and is up for sale. 

Edited by maqroll

Â