Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Not saying he won’t be tempted by CL football, but do remember that Serie A is some way off the Premier League when it comes to wages.

Look at Dani Osvaldo for example, leading scorer for Roma for the two seasons prior to moving away (so safe to assume he was a key player) and where did he go?  Southampton.  Plus at the time they were only halfway through their one standout season – on the face of it he was moving to a relatively recently promoted club.

Someone might know of an ulterior motive for why he left, but if not you’d have to assume it was for the money.  And regardless of the restrictions being imposed on us, I still think we’ll still put a very decent offer on the table for our captain.

So question: Would you up sticks, move your family (inc two young boys) for less money so that you could play CL football?  Or sign a long term lucrative contract and stay put?

Answer: Move to Man Utd (well someone was going to say it), but if they don’t come in for him I think he could well stop with us.

No way on earth Roma would pay him less for CL football than his current contract, very debatable whether we could compete with a serious offer for his services in terms of wages from a CL Italian club.

Osvaldo left because the rest of the squad found him to be a gigantic dickhead, there were lots of problems between him and other players and his position at the club was completely impossible. So they got shut of him asap, then look what happened at Southampton.

I have been told Ron, Fab and Gabby are likely to leave the club. :( Randy is unwilling to break the current financial restraints to offer them improved terms.

If this is correct i want lerner out immedietely also id accept relegation knowing lerner will take a massive hit in the pocket im villa through and through lerner is just a passenger

• Like 1

I have been told Ron, Fab and Gabby are likely to leave the club. :(   Randy is unwilling to break the current financial restraints to offer them improved terms.

Reliable source?

I have been told Ron, Fab and Gabby are likely to leave the club. :(   Randy is unwilling to break the current financial restraints to offer them improved terms.

Why the hell would anyone in their right minds offer Agbonlahor an improved contract anyway? He'd have been lucky if we had offered him half of what he currently earns.

• Like 2

Gabby doesn't deserve improved terms at all, so he can jog on. 

Ron deserves it, simply by virtue of having to put up with those clowns Clark and Baker.

Delph... I don't know. I've never been completely convinced. I won't be too upset.

• Like 2

The thing with Delph is that he was already on inflated wages so to even match them for the new contract would've been a big move for the club. I don't think he is too difficult to replace.

Edit: But that is going on the basis that Lambert would get the money from his sale to spend on his replacement which he probably wouldn't.

Edited by Isa

Source close to the coaching staff. They have been offered new deals but they keep within the current monetary restraints (maybe even a reduction in wage for Delph and/or Gabby?). Gutted if we lose Ron.  :(

I suppose we'll learn more if they're off immediately if (other than vlaar) they feature on Thursday and travel to the states next week.

wouldn't blame any of them (or lambert) if they walked away from the club.

its amateur hour!

I suppose we'll learn more if they're off immediately if (other than vlaar) they feature on Thursday and travel to the states next week.

wouldn't blame any of them (or lambert) if they walked away from the club.

its amateur hour!

Hopefully a takeover is around the corner. I think this is definitely our darkest days in the Premiership era.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

The Guardian has Ron on their list of "Don'ts" in their World Cup Transfer Do's and Don't's article:

Ron Vlaar, Holland and Aston Villa

The Villa defender was undoubtedly one of the standout centre-backs in Brazil – which begs the question of whether he has looked unimpressive in the Premier League only due to the standard of his team-mates. Don’t be fooled – Louis van Gaal is a shrewd operator who built a defensive system around Vlaar, often favouring a back three to compensate for the appalling lack of pace. The heat of Brazil and naturally slower rhythm of international football suits the veteran far better than the helter-skelter stylings of English football.

And that's not even taking into account his injury record, which is a bit spotty. I'm certain that neutrals don't rate him as highly as (some) Villa fans do. I'm going to remain positive that we'll be able to hang onto him.

I expect them to sign their contracts next week then  ;)  :P

I expect them to sign their contracts next week then  ;)  :P

;) I would love it mate. I think any new deals for those players will be a result of new ownership. 

Edited by GENTLEMAN

Â