Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

I thought he was good last season I certainly wouldn't say he was excellent. First half of the season I thought he was great, but then he lost his way with the rest of the team.

We can agree to disagree, you obviously rate him more than I do. He's good, but he's hardly irreplaceable imo. 

I thought he was better than just good. The fact that we conceded a lot of goals doesn't really much with regards to one individual player as its obvious that virtually all the defenders around him were poor. Likewise, we shipped loads of goals with Dunne after his first season.

The stats say otherwise. When he's out our form is certain relegation form. With him it's decent albeit not spectacular.

I don't think I'd say vlaar was excellent last year and I don't think he was good the year before.

I thought he was decent last year and struggled during his first year.

He's had a good world cup but these performances are pretty irrelevant for what he does for us.

I don't think I'd say vlaar was excellent last year and I don't think he was good the year before.

He's had a good world cup but these performances are pretty irrelevant for what he does for us.

His performances at the World Cup are plenty relevant when talking about his ability. As is talking about his time at Feyenoord and with us.

His performances at the World Cup are plenty relevant when talking about his ability. As is talking about his time at Feyenoord and with us.

Relevant to his ability but if he's not performing at that level consistently for us it doesn't really matter to me.

Relevant to his ability but if he's not performing at that level consistently for us it doesn't really matter to me.

So you'll base a players ability purely on how he plays for Aston Villa? I can understand why its important how he plays for Villa but basing his overall ability purely on 2 seasons doesn't really make any sense.

Either way I think Vlaar is a very good player. Not in the same tier as Mellberg and Laursen in terms of our recent defenders but definitely not too far off.

No I wouldn't base his ability on just our games. But it doesn't matter much if he's playing great for other teams if he's not doing that for us.

I do however think vlaar did play well for us last year and he's an important part of the team.

He did ok tonight but was rather lucky to get away with a penalty

That was a penalty? If there was any contact, it was very slight.

It was from behind and clumsy. He could've had no complaints had it been awared.

Didn't really think it was a penalty at all.

By the way, who was the last Villa player to make it to a World Cup semi-final as a Villa player? Alpay?

Edited by Mantis

Never get 8 million for him.

His value goes up with every game Holland play. He's played very well for them, and now he's got a global profile. 

Chances are Van Gaal comes knocking at some point.

But he didn't really contact the player. I've seen those given, but that doesn't mean it's a penalty. He started to go in rashly but managed to pull himself back.

Yes he did. The replays more than confirm it. His right leg connects just before the player goes down.

Never get 8 million for him.

His value goes up with every game Holland play. He's played very well for them, and now he's got a global profile.

Chances are Van Gaal comes knocking at some point.

Yes, his value goes up, I agree fully with your thinking of a global profile.

But he is a Villa player, of which I am very proud right now!

Edited by AVTuco

I'd prefer we used him for the last season of his contract and let him leave for nothing next year rather than selling him and watching Lerner pocket the fee and ride off into the sunset leaving us being one injury from a Baker Senderos CB nightmare.

Obviously giving him A NEW **** CONTRACT would be plan A though.

• Like 1

Didn't really think it was a penalty at all.

By the way, who was the last Villa player to make it to a World Cup semi-final as a Villa player? Alpay?

I think so. But you might need to make a new thread to ask that question, as mentioning anyone but Ron Vlaar in here is off topic.

The thing is even if we were to offer him a new contract now, the fact that he's had a good world cup and potentially will have some clubs interested in him means that I'd imagine we would need to offer him more in terms of wages than if we'd offered him a new contract several months ago. Just another example of the hierarchy at our club having no forethought.

Lerner's decision to sell the club, and our uncertain future in the league towards the end of last season certainly delayed the opportunity of sorting contracts out.

It may come and bite us on the arse.

I'd be disappointed if we sold him for anything less than £10million.

He has been really good for us and looks solid at this World Cup. I don't think United will come calling though, I fear it may be some team that are around where we want/should be... Southampton?

Â