US Presidential Election 2012

legov

yeah i know now , someone had already answered that one for me a few pages back , I think I got confused by a combination of my general ignorance of the size and demographic of US states and a search return from my phone when I typed it in that sorta suggested on first glance that it did have one

You know, I think the percentage of white voters in favour of Romney in the Southern states is similar to the share of the black vote Obama enjoys - I.e. in the nineties.

Republicans need to ditch the Tea Party and all the religious shite and reclaim the centre.

If this race taught them anything it should be that going way right then trying to take the centre last minute doesn't fool anyone.

America really needs a competitive third party.

It is being pretty widely reported that the Republicans will never win again unless they become attractive to Hispanic voters. Hispanic voters are naturally conservative and have no traditional alliance with the Democrats but have been alienated by the Republicans over their policy on illegal immigrants and migration in general.

I suspect this will mean the Republicans take a shift to the centre out of sheer necessity but the extreme right of the party, like the tea party element for example, will probably want to break away.

Could that be the start of a 3 party system?

Aye theres increasing talk of the Republican Party perhaps by necessity splitting apart as it struggles to balance principle with the need to appeal to demographics it simply does not currently do.

It would mean that the Tea Party would go it's own way and, if it stuck to it's principles, it'd never elect a President. It appeals to a demographic that is shrinking. The rest of the party will begrudgingly move towards the centre to tussle it out over the independent voters and probably gun for the Hispanic demographic severely, seeing that as an investment that would pay off in coming elections.

It'll only happen when it becomes obvious that the Republican party has lost a feasible chance of winning an election, which is perhaps a generation or 2 away.

The very racist/bigoted/homophobic/mysoginistic religious fundamentalist party

The not quite as racist/bigoted/homophobic/mysoginistic religious fundamentalist party

and the Democrats?

Can't see it myself. Even splitting off some of the crazies would shatter the GOPs support base and hand almost permanent electoral success to the Dems.

Congratulations to America. They, and the rest of the World for that matter, are much better off not having a Republican President.

Depends on the person and which part of the world you're talking about. Certainly Obama isn't as good for Britain as everyone is making out. I don't know if it's just short memories, selective memories or people simply not knowing but Obama has not been that good for Britain as US president. Not that I think Romney would be that good for Britain either, but I don't think he'd be any worse than Obama has been.

The not quite as racist/bigoted/homophobic/mysoginistic religious fundamentalist party

and the Democrats?

Can't see it myself. Even splitting off some of the crazies would shatter the GOPs support base and hand almost permanent electoral success to the Dems.

If the Tea Party continues to exert influence and grow, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened, as they're crazy. And the more realistic aspects of the Republican party know they have to start considering going Left to regain power as the US changes. That will cause tension in the GOP and I would not be surprised to see it break - the Tea Party will not like a move Left, and the more moderate Republicans will know the Tea Party is a ready made noose for them.

It won't happen any time soon but pressure will mount in coming elections as the white heartland of the GOP wanes. Texas could feasibly go Democratic in the next generation - that's crazy.

Obama has not been that good for Britain as US president.

for snubbing Brown a couple of times he always gets my vote ;)

out of interest (if they don't mind saying ) did any of our US VT'ers vote Romney ?

and the Democrats?

Exactly what I was thinking.

Yesterday was the best chance the Republicans will have to win an election for a very long time. Due to the changing demographic it is only going to get much harder.

I think the Tea Party will be blunted. Supporters of the Tea Party are...well there's no other way to put it...dying out.

If they're smart, Repubs will make a mad grab for pro-immigration and anti-war/drones to reclaim the center. It's just like chess and football, gotta control the middle.

I think the Tea Party will be blunted. Supporters of the Tea Party are...well there's no other way to put it...dying out.

If they're smart, Repubs will make a mad grab for pro-immigration and anti-war/drones to reclaim the center. It's just like chess and football, gotta control the middle.

Yes, I could see the Republicans coming back if they made a shift away from the extream eliments of their party and went for the middle ground.

Kind of like the transformation the Labour party made in the UK with Blair (though obviously moving from the left to the middle in that case).

Looking at the video's from yesterday one of the striking things was the mix of the relative parties. The Democrats seem to cover all races, all genders, all ages, whereas the Republicans were 99% white and judging by appearances people of wealth. Seems familiar hmmmmmmm

Are you talking about the people at the candidates HQ's? Can't really judge their support based on that.

The Republican support base is more than just old rich white people though, although it is less diverse than the Democrat support base.

How will the legalised marijuana states deal with the federal ban on pot?

The question is how will the feds deal with the states...if Obama's first term tells us anything, it's that he'll send in the DEA and perform raids like they did in California.

Yes, I could see the Republicans coming back if they made a shift away from the extream eliments of their party and went for the middle ground.

Kind of like the transformation the Labour party made in the UK with Blair (though obviously moving from the left to the middle in that case).

It's their only play if they want to stay competitive. That and appealing to minorities.

Does Federal law always trump State Law?

It's a bit tricky. Federal Law doesn't usually trump State Law but they've used loopholes regarding the Commerce Clause and interstate trade to jump all over it.

Then again, Obama might just do whatever he wants and sick the DEA on them. Theoretically, since he doesn't have to run for re-election again, he should ease up on appearing as if he's anti-drug. Then again, maybe that was his position all along.

It depends on the political leanings of the president and his Justice Department. In 1962, JFK sent federal marshals down to University of Mississippi to force the school to admit a black student, which was against the state law at the time.

Marijuana growers were shocked that Obama went after them so hard...who knows, he may turn into the "liberal" people thought they were voting for the first time.

Some people already answered this, but their responses are sort of off. It would be most appropriate to say that no state law may contradict a federal law; the Constitution is very clear about this. It has and continues to happen as a result of enforcement issues and the time it takes to have them legally challenged in court. But technically it is not supposed to ever happen.

Looking at the video's from yesterday one of the striking things was the mix of the relative parties. The Democrats seem to cover all races, all genders, all ages, whereas the Republicans were 99% white and judging by appearances people of wealth. Seems familiar hmmmmmmm

Just watching coverage of disappointed (young) GOP supporters on BBC News. Very much the equivalents of "Tory boys".

Massachusetts voted for medical legalization and Physician Assisted Suicide

Strike that, it (P.A.S.) was narrowly defeated, a decision helped along by the Catholic Church, big surprise there...

Â