Matthew Lowton

Qwpzxjor1

I liked him two years ago despite some errors..I still think with better coaching there's a decent player in there although not sure it's at RB.

That said having Hutton in as a regular this season shows the gulf in defensive quality between the two.

It's been great these season having two regular full backs who know how to defend in one on ones and that has helped our defensive record big time.

I liked him two years ago despite some errors..I still think with better coaching there's a decent player in there although not sure it's at RB.

That said having Hutton in as a regular this season shows the gulf in defensive quality between the two.

It's been great these season having two regular full backs who know how to defend in one on ones and that has helped our defensive record big time.

If I had to give Lowton some advice , it would be this : you know Matthew , there was a time when Hutton was considered one of the worst players to don the claret and blue , and now look , he's the new John Gidman .
  • Like 1

If I had to give Lowton some advice , it would be this : you know Matthew , there was a time when Hutton was considered one of the worst players to don the claret and blue , and now look , he's the new John Gidman .

He's good enough as back up but I'm not not sure confident in him as a defender.

Then he isn't good enough to even be back-up. It is a basic requirement (or should be) that any defender in the squad should at the very least not be a complete liability in that department.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

As good a season as Hutton is having, he'll never be the new John Gidman

Clark can cover as LB, but can any of our other CB's cover as RB? Better than Lowton I mean?

Would rather keep playing with 3 CBs against the better clubs, think it helps Vlaar and Clark.

Hutton would be fine as wing back and Bacuna would give it a go aswell. Don't think Lowton quite has the energy for it.

I am always surprised at the utter astonishment on here when Lowton has a poor game.

He had a great first season - but a woeful second - and nothing Ive seen makes me hopeful he can cut it in the PL - for where we are he's probably reasonable back up (personally I prefer Bacuna over Lowton) - any reasonable performances from Lowton should be viewed as a bonus...

As much as we should rightly criticise his vulnerability in defence, he was also hung out to dry by Lambert. At the end of the first half, there was almost unanimous consensus that Lowton was struggling big time against Young, and good goal scoring opportunities were to likely to be the result of Young constantly skinning him. Everyone could see that. This is not revisionism or hindsight - this was astutely observed by the whole room of people I was watching in, as well as many on the site. 

But Lambert didn't do anything at half-time to change anything. Surely he noticed the problem? I don't know what he told Lowton to do differently to prevent himself being beaten, dropping deeper or whatever but it didn't work - what was the rationale of keeping Lowton there instead of say Bacuna? It wasn't as if Lowton was offering much in attack either way because he was constantly pegged back by Young(he didn't have the pace to catch him on the break) and everyone knew Bacuna, on the other hand had the pace and athleticism to keep up with Young. 

These types of situation I feel we shouldn't blame the player but the manager for making him look shit. If you play Barry at fullback against speedy players he's gonna look like dogshit, as he did a few times under DOL - Dennis Rommedahl FFS looked like a world-beater when up against Barry. There's a good player in there - Lowton has showed us glimpses of his ability before, his crossing, his passing and technical ability is all there for everyone to see. 

It doesn't help when Lambert hangs him out to dry. 

Edited by Alpaywasawesome

As much as we should rightly criticise his vulnerability in defence, he was also hung out to dry by Lambert. At the end of the first half, there was almost unanimous consensus that Lowton was struggling big time against Young, and good goal scoring opportunities were to likely to be the result of Young constantly skinning him. Everyone could see that. This is not revisionism or hindsight - this was astutely observed by the whole room of people I was watching in, as well as many on the site.

But Lambert didn't do anything at half-time to change anything. Surely he noticed the problem? I don't know what he told Lowton to do differently to prevent himself being beaten, dropping deeper or whatever but it didn't work - what was the rationale of keeping Lowton there instead of say Bacuna? It wasn't as if Lowton was offering much in attack either way because he was constantly pegged back by Young(he didn't have the pace to catch him on the break) and everyone knew Bacuna, on the other hand had the pace and athleticism to keep up with Young.

These types of situation I feel we shouldn't blame the player but the manager for making him look shit. If you play Barry at fullback against speedy players he's gonna look like dogshit, as he did a few times under DOL - Dennis Rommedahl FFS looked like a world-beater when up against Barry. There's a good player in there - Lowton has showed us glimpses of his ability before, his crossing, his passing and technical ability is all there for everyone to see.

It doesn't help when Lambert hangs him out to dry.

Â